1.2.0c AOF, Molten Strike, Herald of Ash

"
solidghost wrote:
For the one handed and shield version, could we use doryani's instead?
The elemental damage mod will be impressive and extremely good for this build. Plus you get to use a shield for added defense (and life and resists).

You could but it's better to have a high physical one hander just because you have 3 different sources converting your physical, resulting in far more fire with AoF.
I'd say Doryani's can be just as good as a 2h if you have very little increased damage, since it comes with 100 or so on the item. If you have only 200% increased damage, a 300pdps Doryani's is equivalent to a 400dps weapon. Dual Dory's are even more insane thanks to the 20% damage boost (in addition to the buckets of increased damage that also buffs your burns).

Hey I just thought of something:

Hrimsorrow, Chernobog's Pillar, and Heavy Strike. As I mentioned above, Doryani's isn't all that far behind a decent 2h mace, so the extra 25% damage switching from Molten Strike to Heavy Strike could possibly make up for the slightly weaker shift to a 1h + shield.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Last edited by gilrad on Sep 5, 2014, 11:29:05 AM
I made a switch to AoF and molten strike, to see why everyone is using it, although it still doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, my tooltip dps dropped to 12.5k with molten strike, down from 13.5k with heavy strike, which is about the same. But for some reason the burning damage feels A LOT stronger. I don't know why this is the case.

Current build:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38jM_2SF8_f-PBBOOfMft5aGvZJy-bWAthFPbvDuRReA2GO7yfIVWpbr6KpKws-2xGtfIB3PIvOQ5ybG6qNZKkGalzMglKyP6P2L0b-tlhJd8ZLoTZJ-1lTW5p_EusqhRSvqdsFnKpUeZZ80d-hxl82bQvwBq9gWDEkFUZ6WaeITSnhMtD-tKexRo4DhQ26ew43sEkquNqV-IWbzKJGmwEs52uFE3wHxJpgziiABcc73xxeTwFn98=

Current stats (PoE planner):

175% increased phys damage with maces
36% increased melee phys damage
+58.4% increased melee phys damage (why? above it says 36%)
50% increased phys damage with 2H weapons
16% elemental damage with weapons

Links:

Molten Strike - Melee Phys - Added Fire - Wep Ele - Fire Pen
12.5k tooltip DPS

Weapon:

Spoiler
Ignore the gems on this weapon.

Tooltip DPS when I remove each gem:
- without Melee Physical Damage - 8.8k
- without Added Fire - 9.8k
- without Weapon Ele Damage - 8.2k

I don't fully understand how damage is calculated and I don't know if I should keep my phys damage nodes, or spec out of them in favor of ele/fire damage.

Also, AoF and Molten Strike are kind of confusing together. So if I deal 1000 phys damage, AoF will convert 500 to fire damage, and then molten strike converts 500*0.6 to fire, or the other way around? Or they are summed together and capped at 100%, so all my phys damage is converted to fire damage?

Can anyone provide some math?
Last edited by dyankov on Sep 5, 2014, 12:28:58 PM
"
"
solidghost wrote:
Would infernal blow be a good alternative to molten strike?
Congrats on the BOTW as well.

I have tried infernal but the problem is it explodes monsters around it thereby preventing the prolif burn

I think IB only blows up the target right? The monsters around it are not exploded if u dont use melee splash?
"
dyankov wrote:
I made a switch to AoF and molten strike, to see why everyone is using it, although it still doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, my tooltip dps dropped to 12.5k with molten strike, down from 13.5k with heavy strike, which is about the same. But for some reason the burning damage feels A LOT stronger. I don't know why this is the case.

Current build:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38jM_2SF8_f-PBBOOfMft5aGvZJy-bWAthFPbvDuRReA2GO7yfIVWpbr6KpKws-2xGtfIB3PIvOQ5ybG6qNZKkGalzMglKyP6P2L0b-tlhJd8ZLoTZJ-1lTW5p_EusqhRSvqdsFnKpUeZZ80d-hxl82bQvwBq9gWDEkFUZ6WaeITSnhMtD-tKexRo4DhQ26ew43sEkquNqV-IWbzKJGmwEs52uFE3wHxJpgziiABcc73xxeTwFn98=

Current stats (PoE planner):

175% increased phys damage with maces
36% increased melee phys damage
+58.4% increased melee phys damage (why? above it says 36%)
50% increased phys damage with 2H weapons
16% elemental damage with weapons

Links:

Molten Strike - Melee Phys - Added Fire - Wep Ele - Fire Pen
12.5k tooltip DPS

Weapon:

Spoiler
Ignore the gems on this weapon.

Tooltip DPS when I remove each gem:
- without Melee Physical Damage - 8.8k
- without Added Fire - 9.8k
- without Weapon Ele Damage - 8.2k

I don't fully understand how damage is calculated and I don't know if I should keep my phys damage nodes, or spec out of them in favor of ele/fire damage.

Also, AoF and Molten Strike are kind of confusing together. So if I deal 1000 phys damage, AoF will convert 500 to fire damage, and then molten strike converts 500*0.6 to fire, or the other way around? Or they are summed together and capped at 100%, so all my phys damage is converted to fire damage?

Can anyone provide some math?

100% of physical converted to fire damage = 100% efficient use of WED, Fire Pen and the flam curse. You should not spec out of physcial damage nodes. They are great and will improve your damage because 100% of your physical is converted to fire.
"
gilrad wrote:
I'd say Doryani's can be just as good as a 2h if you have very little increased damage, since it comes with 100 or so on the item. If you have only 200% increased damage, a 300pdps Doryani's is equivalent to a 400dps weapon. Dual Dory's are even more insane thanks to the 20% damage boost (in addition to the buckets of increased damage that also buffs your burns).

Hrimsorrow, Chernobog's Pillar, and Heavy Strike. As I mentioned above, Doryani's isn't all that far behind a decent 2h mace, so the extra 25% damage switching from Molten Strike to Heavy Strike could possibly make up for the slightly weaker shift to a 1h + shield.

200% elemental damage from the two doryanis? Plus bonus from dual welding! WOW!
"
solidghost wrote:
"
gilrad wrote:

200% elemental damage from the two doryanis? Plus bonus from dual welding! WOW!

It's not 200% with AoF because only half the elements get converted. I have explained multiple times why I don't use more than one element.
"
solidghost wrote:
"
"
solidghost wrote:
Would infernal blow be a good alternative to molten strike?
Congrats on the BOTW as well.

I have tried infernal but the problem is it explodes monsters around it thereby preventing the prolif burn

I think IB only blows up the target right? The monsters around it are not exploded if u dont use melee splash?

It does only blow up the target but if it gets to the point where it explodes all the targets around it too then the burn stops, similar to the pyre ring.
"
gilrad wrote:

You assume that "25% damage" is 25% damage in all cases, which it isn't, especially with AoF. Also Doryani's doesn't come close to the 505 max physical of my Kaom's. The dps is not important at all for my build, just one strong hit. If you want to make a build focused on dps be my guest but that's not what my build is about.
"
It's not 200% with AoF because only half the elements get converted. I have explained multiple times why I don't use more than one element.

Not too sure what you mean by one element but using molten strike (60%) + aof (50%), all (max 100%) of your physical damage is converted to fire. Elemental damage bonus will apply to all the fire damage (that was converted from physcial) right?
Last edited by solidghost on Sep 5, 2014, 8:27:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info