1.2.0c AOF, Molten Strike, Herald of Ash

"
Lenox2288 wrote:
"
solidghost wrote:
Would infernal blow be a good alternative to molten strike?
Congrats on the BOTW as well.

Beat me to it. I run a similar build, but with Infernal Blow instead. What would you change if it were Infernal Blow instead of Molten Strike? One thing I'm noticing, is that the ignite/burn damage "steals" low life mobs from my IB so I sometimes miss exploding opportunities. I'm wondering if Resolute Technique would be better to avoid accidental crits, and no Herald of Ash.

Another question, I don't understand Elemental Proliferation on a Herald of Ash. I thought the fire already spread on overkill?

Yes, herald of ash spreads ignites on all mobs around the mob that died, but adding prolif makes these newly ignited mobs spread the ignite even further to mobs around them. Also by using prolif you make sure that only the highest damage ignites are spreading out, because of the way prolif works.
Build looking good but 1 point i dont get:
"Clarity - Reduced Mana - Blood Magic - Enhance (380 health out of 5400 isn't much to reserve for infinite mana)"

why do u use a enhance in this setup? i mean increased radius is okay for partyplay but in general it doesnt make sense to me
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
What I don't understand:

Why no weapon damage nodes at all, not even the best ones?

All the damage starts with the Weapon, so increasing this damage by the very strong weapon damage nodes should increase the later overkill burning by a big amount?

A 18% weapon damage node should bring more than a 8% elemental damage mode?
Cool build, thanks for the inspiration. I am currently leveling a sword and board Templar with Molten Strike and I never thought to use Elem Prolif on Herald. Love Herald. Can't wait to get home and socket it up haha.

Can anyone offer insight on a 3L setup with Herald and Prolif: What is the better third gem: Incr. burn or Incr. AoE?
"
Halezor wrote:
Cool build, thanks for the inspiration. I am currently leveling a sword and board Templar with Molten Strike and I never thought to use Elem Prolif on Herald. Love Herald. Can't wait to get home and socket it up haha.

Can anyone offer insight on a 3L setup with Herald and Prolif: What is the better third gem: Incr. burn or Incr. AoE?

I would go with Inc AoE and take care of the burning damage with passives and weapon. 4th link should definitely be Inc. burning damage though.
What is overkill? I googled it to no avail.
"
Llyrain wrote:
What I don't understand:

Why no weapon damage nodes at all, not even the best ones?

All the damage starts with the Weapon, so increasing this damage by the very strong weapon damage nodes should increase the later overkill burning by a big amount?

A 18% weapon damage node should bring more than a 8% elemental damage mode?

I want to know this either. Cmiiw, let's say we have 1000 base damage. Molten strike deals 120% of it, and converts 60% to fire damage. So, we'll deal 1200 damage (480 phys and 720 fire).

If we have 100% increase fire damage, we will deal 480 phys and 1440 fire dmg for total 1920 dmg.

But if we have 100% increase phys dmg, we'll deal 2000 base phys dmg and molten strike will deal 2400 total dmg which consist of 960 phys and 1440 fire dmg.

Is my math correct?
To grind or not to grind, that's the question.
Hey, just want to say thanks for this build idea. I managed to modify it a bit.

This is my tree for my level 79 Marauder (97 points):

Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAjM89_FhjxthfP_ZI7w4nL-OfKS7xrHy4VEkaPjH7f-N-4CECe4x2f55XqXM5Diz7IVXkUdlhfNlyqayqJ-0ZLl7AoEKIWrc-xq48LcT2GNccp1OlffU9D6-NZp7AGlnzGmwWbySqNun60uNqcXkXHBJpna7a3acIGjinhJBV7Dh35VfiMokEs6IAFE3wH6loGF2DOO98i4yf3zwFRtftIOFzGuSIj_0waqVqBDWS2L3-Cjrh8kWmV8QV8i-HGWwW_Es=

This is my gear:

Spoiler

I choose Marohi over Kaom's because it has built in increase AoE and bigger damage per hit to get bigger overkill effect. Also, I run Hatred instead of Determination because Hatred give me extra 37% dmg as cold dmg and then Avatar of Fire convert 50% of that into fire dmg. Plus, Pyre convert 100% of cold dmg to fire. So i get a lot more dps from Hatred. And i use Alpha's Howl just to get anti frozen. I hate being frozen. The 8% reduced mana reserved from Alpha's Howl is not important because Molten Strike has a low mana cost. I have 4.5k armor (31% phys red) and I feel fine.

I don't have high level Molten Strike and I have to use a level 1 one. I'm surprised that a level 1 gem give me around 13k tooltip dps. Maybe that's becaus I choose many Increase Physical Damage nodes instead of fire damage nodes. Like i wrote before, I choose to increase my phys dmg which later converted to fire by Molten Strike and Avatar of Fire and then multiplied by WED. If I managed to get 5L, I will link Added Fire Damage for an extra 39% dps. Tried it in my Tabula and I get 19k dps from a level 9 Molten Strike.

I enjoy playing it solo, but i hate party with much faster attack char, the only thing this build lack. But why do we need fast attack when we kill a mob with 1 shot, right? :)

EDIT:

I change my weapon to this for faster attack speed:

Change Molten Strike to Infernal Blow, voila, a level 13 Infernal Blow give me more than 20k dps ! Now I can hit faster and still 1 shot every white mob.

I also change my chest to Tabula and change my Alpha's to this to compensate my armour:

Now I just have to get a Dispell Frozen flask to compensate my Alpha's. It's still scary when Piety shoot her freezing arrow.
To grind or not to grind, that's the question.
Last edited by IndoBerlian on Sep 4, 2014, 3:34:35 PM
"
CorranHorn wrote:
What is overkill? I googled it to no avail.

Molten Strike does 1000 damage (X).
Skeleton has 100 HP left (Y).

X-Y = Overkill (100 Kill damage, 900 Overkill damage.)

1000-100=900
For the one handed and shield version, could we use doryani's instead?
The elemental damage mod will be impressive and extremely good for this build. Plus you get to use a shield for added defense (and life and resists).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info