1.2.0c AOF, Molten Strike, Herald of Ash

I am currently running a very similar build - Molten Strike, HoA, AoF - Running Multistrike, melee physical, weapon elemental, Molten, fire pen.

Took quite a different path on the passive tree though.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecEsw48EuEUIBRNFHUXLxiRGjgaVRvIIq8j9icvJ-0ppS3SMn4yiTboNuk4UzpSOtg9_EMxSn1Nkk4qUEdV1lb6Vw1X4lhjWfNbr14TXz9hIWSjZOdmnmegah5sFnKpdO1253flfNl89YCkhO-HGYdqh3aKIozPkAqQVZHOns2fPp_LogCi6qOKpKykwqcwp4SoGKlorKqvjbZBu-28n8AawKbA88bY0iHdDeNq45_sOO4O7w7yL_ZI9zL60vxL_MU=

11k Tooltip with Kaoms Primacy.

I am currently saving for doryani's catalyst. Then I will just spec out of the few 2H nodes I have and into something 1H or Defense.

I think it might not be a good idea to use multistrike. First of all u lose control of who u are attacking. And u reduce the overkill damage as well. Might be better if use added fire damage gem instead.
I use Leap Slam with Endurance Charge on Melee Stun, Stun and Faster Attacks for my first attack. The damage isnt that high but good enough to bring the white mobs to about 20% life, Then I hit one with my heavy strike. This way the overkill damage is quite high and the group I attacked are stunned and I gain endurance charges for defence.
That works quite nice.
I am lvl 66 and didnt enter maps till now. I will update this when I got more playtime with this playstyle...
I will try the other single target attacks to find the best choice for the overkill hit.
I still don't understand why is everyone taking AoF? Converting your phys dmg to fire dmg doesn't increase your overkill damage, which is what we are trying to maximize for herald of ash.
"
dyankov wrote:
I still don't understand why is everyone taking AoF? Converting your phys dmg to fire dmg doesn't increase your overkill damage, which is what we are trying to maximize for herald of ash.

Actually converting all of your physical to fire damage allows u to make full use of the WED gem and the elemental/fire damage nodes in the passive tree (which there are plenty around the templar tree).
"
TonyTravel wrote:
The idea of using Herald of ash to proliferate damage to nearby enemies seems like a cool idea, the wiki however states this:

Overkill Damage: The overkill damage value used for the on-kill effect is based on the total damage of the killing hit, not just its fire damage.

In that case using Avatar of fire is a bad idea, because you lose total damage. You would be better off investing in Psychical damage nodes and in the Lust for Carnage tree. In that case you do not need the life leech gem and can swap it out for added fire damage or fire penetration.

I will try it out with my MS Marauder later on, i`m now using hatred with him.

You would think so but with avatar of fire ontop of all the melee physical increases like the gem, the fire damage is around 50% higher than the different added elements and physical. Plus the fact that if a monster is armoued or resistant to elements all I need is flammability and I'm dealing full damage again. Also I do need the life leech at the moment because without it I need to spam potions most of the time which is extremely unreliable.
"
jahcinto wrote:
"
dyankov wrote:
I'm also running a herald/prolif build, but with a marauder and I'm using ground slam. In your case I don't see why you went Avatar Of Fire. Physical damage is also included in the overkill damage, and with AoF you lose half of it, which means weaker burns.

Molten Strike converts the other half.

I liked your idea of ground slam fire prolif.

1 note on the build; what if just one -not to say two at the same time- of these encounters do happen:

Temporal Chains maps;
Chronophage mobs;
Chilled ground maps;
Supressing Fire dudes;
Any Stun/Knockback lock mob;
Any Cold damage mob;
Chilled Ground skills from mobs;
Artic Armour from dudes;

I mean, 'tis with no doubt a solid idea, tho for a melee character it does have some flaws.

The only thing I have had trouble with in maps is the summoner exile. Literally everything else is no trouble, bar powerful bosses like piety and dominus.

"
solidghost wrote:
Would infernal blow be a good alternative to molten strike?
Congrats on the BOTW as well.

I have tried infernal but the problem is it explodes monsters around it thereby preventing the prolif burn
"
Llyrain wrote:
What I don't understand:

Why no weapon damage nodes at all, not even the best ones?

All the damage starts with the Weapon, so increasing this damage by the very strong weapon damage nodes should increase the later overkill burning by a big amount?

A 18% weapon damage node should bring more than a 8% elemental damage mode?

It's simply not necessary. I don't need any more damage because I can burn everything to death with the 10k fire hits, if I hit something with low health and fire resistance, that's almost a 9k burn on everything around it, and when I get the 6 link it will have a fire pen gem. I chose to get more life and armour over more damage so I can live through it rather than die and 1 shot everything.
"
SmallGiant wrote:
"
Llyrain wrote:
What I don't understand:

Why no weapon damage nodes at all, not even the best ones?

All the damage starts with the Weapon, so increasing this damage by the very strong weapon damage nodes should increase the later overkill burning by a big amount?

A 18% weapon damage node should bring more than a 8% elemental damage mode?

I want to know this either. Cmiiw, let's say we have 1000 base damage. Molten strike deals 120% of it, and converts 60% to fire damage. So, we'll deal 1200 damage (480 phys and 720 fire).

If we have 100% increase fire damage, we will deal 480 phys and 1440 fire dmg for total 1920 dmg.

But if we have 100% increase phys dmg, we'll deal 2000 base phys dmg and molten strike will deal 2400 total dmg which consist of 960 phys and 1440 fire dmg.

Is my math correct?

Almost. You have to take this into account: Molten strike is 1.2, avatar of fire is more, and herald of ash is even more fire. Physical simply doesn't do as much as all that fire and as I have said before it makes fighting monsters very simple when I'm only dealing one type of damage because I just have to cast flammability.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info