[2.2] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave

Re: binos, I think that's probably true in standard. Not sure its true in torment. 240+ with 9.1+ crit is still pretty pricey in torment... But mediocre bino is 4.5 for 230+ and 9.75 crit... Not saying its cheap or that its so much better than a 1 ex 240 DPs 8.75 crit dagger to warrant it, but torment has fewer awesomely crafted ambushrts than standard ATM... And the regen means you don't have to worry about leech QUITE as much freeing you up by a mod when searching for jewelry, etc... As torment progresses this could change, though.
What do you think about this shield with that build, Also what gems do you use in your shield?...THanks

Daresso's has low block, low evasion and above all no life, which makes it a very bad shield.
I use the 3L utility setup Flicker-Faster Casting-Assassin's Mark in my shield.
Pupicitas: lv. 100 Shadow
[2.1] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave Shadow: /994474
EU Officer of Umbra Exiles: /732431
Hey,

First off, great guide. However, I have some questions that I couldn't find answered while skimming through the comments.

1) Since Acuity is pretty much off the table (bloodlines), will reflect be a significant issue? Or will I need to run Vorici gloves (life leech rate) or maybe swap to spectral throw to benefit from Ondar's?

I'm a little hesitant about going the VP route, since I'm not sure how to make it work with less points (I don't really tend to make it to 115 points =p), and it would invalidate the life regen from Bino's. In addition, I thought it was generally not a good thing to mix life builds with VP.

2) Do you still think Belly of the Beast is better than Lightning Coil (assuming I'm able to compensate for the -60%)? A 5L Belly costs ~4-5 exalts, while a 5L Lightning Coil costs ~2-3. Lightning Coil should be able to help vs high phys dmg (bear traps, ek, slams, etc). I remember trying on a Belly once instead of a lightning coil and I didn't notice that huge of an HP difference.

edit: I've also seen people mention daresso's defiance as an alternative. Thoughts?

3) Hatred+Herald of Ice+Herald of Thunder(curse on hit+assassin's mark) would be optimal? Or do you still think Ash is better?

4) I see you mentioned Bino's isn't worth buying for it's price anymore. However, there doesn't seem to be many other options atm after taking a quick glance at poe trade. Would Bino's be fine for 74+ maps still?

5) What do you think of uniques like Rat's Nest? And would Acro+Phase Acro be a strong combo with Atziri's Step?

6) Finally, I saw you mention that Increased Crit DMG is not as good anymore. Is it still worth running though? Right now I'm thinking Reave+FasterAttacks+Multistrike+MeleePhysDmg+IncCritDmg.

I'm getting the idea you switch it out for Melee Phys on Full Life, with Inc. Aoe for the 6th link. However, if I'm not comfortable with Melee phys on full life (seems kinda iffy unless I'm running godly gear that one-shots everything), would Inc. Crit Dmg still be fine?

Thanks!

Last edited by Linfei on Feb 8, 2015, 4:54:56 PM
Hey Griffo, I will try to cover most of your questions:
Spoiler
"
Hey,

First off, great guide. However, I have some questions that I couldn't find answered while skimming through the comments.

1) Since Acuity is pretty much off the table (bloodlines), will reflect be a significant issue? Or will I need to run Vorici gloves (life leech rate) or maybe swap to spectral throw to benefit from Ondar's?

I'm a little hesitant about going the VP route, since I'm not sure how to make it work with less points (I don't really tend to make it to 115 points =p), and it would invalidate the life regen from Bino's. In addition, I thought it was generally not a good thing to mix life builds with VP.

2) Do you still think Belly of the Beast is better than Lightning Coil (assuming I'm able to compensate for the -60%)? A 5L Belly costs ~4-5 exalts, while a 5L Lightning Coil costs ~2-3. Lightning Coil should be able to help vs high phys dmg (bear traps, ek, slams, etc). I remember trying on a Belly once instead of a lightning coil and I didn't notice that huge of an HP difference.

3) Hatred+Herald of Ice+Herald of Thunder(curse on hit+assassin's mark) would be optimal? Or do you still think Ash is better?

4) I see you mentioned Bino's isn't worth buying for it's price anymore. However, there doesn't seem to be many other options atm after taking a quick glance at poe trade. Would Bino's be fine for 74+ maps still?

5) What do you think of uniques like Rat's Nest? And would Acro+Phase Acro be a strong combo with Atziri's Step?

6) Finally, I saw you mention that Increased Crit DMG is not as good anymore. Is it still worth running though? Right now I'm thinking Reave+FasterAttacks+Multistrike+MeleePhysDmg+IncCritDmg.

I'm getting the idea you switch it out for Melee Phys on Full Life, with Inc. Aoe for the 6th link. However, if I'm not comfortable with Melee phys on full life (seems kinda iffy unless I'm running godly gear that one-shots everything), would Inc. Crit Dmg still be fine?

Thanks!

1) You don't need acuity at all to face reflect. If you crit into a reflect pack your EC + IC combo will trigger and render you invulnerable for several seconds, which is enough to kill the pack and leech back to full health/ use pots.

I linked a requested VP tree on the previous page, however I do not see any need to take this node at all unless you have insane DPS with mirror Dagger, but in that case you should be able to afford acuity aswell.

2) Belly is hands down the best chest for this build, since we try to get as much life as we can get. A Belly gives around ~550 additional life points which is quite significant. The situations you mentioned (EK, Trap etc.) seem more relevant for PvP than for PvE. If you can overcome the resistance penalty without using Purity or neglecting important rolls on jewelry, LC is nevertheless a good option aswell, however it is far mor hard to gear for.

3) HoI does not offer anything for phys builds, take HoA for sure.

4) I cleared 78 maps with bino's and it's a really good dagger. My comment regarding Bino was with sd economy in mind, since it seems to be cheaper in temp league (heard around 4.5 ex dunno if that is true) and there are less master crafted daggers in Ambush, getting a Bino might be your best option there.

5) Rat's is a good helm (esp. the MS is nice), however I don't like wearing items without a life roll, since it is the only defensive mechanism that this build relies on. You can play build centered around dodge, however it will be a completely different build then with different passive tree and gear options. Also, I don't know how good dodge builds are after the nerf to Acro in 1.3, it seems they got hit quite significantly imo.

6) If you cannot oneshot packs you should not use MeleeDMGonFL, since it will become to unreliable. So use either crit dmg or inc AoE, depending on your DPS.

Hey, thanks a lot for the response!

The situations I was mentioning also include exiles (like Vickas Giantbone, who has EK totems+bear trap+vulnerability), as well as high phys bosses like map Kole (in Colonnade). There's also the lower level Dungeon/Ghetto bosses.

---

I'll probably be going with a Belly as you advised. I am somewhat confused about your response to number 5 though.

You say that life is the only defensive mechanism this build relies on, but doesn't evasion also take a big role? I'm saying this because you grab Ondar's as well as a few evasion nodes here and there. Or is Ondar's so good that you don't really need to focus on evasion on gear?

I'm currently eyeing a dagger with 240 pdps + 9.04% crit. It seems a bit weaker than Bino's but is only 2 exalts (Bino's in bloodlines seem to run for ~5). Would this be a suitable replacement?

"
Hey, thanks a lot for the response!
[...]
You say that life is the only defensive mechanism this build relies on, but doesn't evasion also take a big role? I'm saying this because you grab Ondar's as well as a few evasion nodes here and there. Or is Ondar's so good that you don't really need to focus on evasion on gear?

Evasion helps to mitigate damge over the long run, however your life pool is the only effective defense against one-shots (e.g critting on reflect). Evasion also synergizes well with MeleeDMGonFL, since you will get hit less and therefore stay on full life for longer, however this does not change the fact that your primary defense tool is a huge life pool combined with good dps+leech.

"

I'm currently eyeing a dagger with 240 pdps + 9.04% crit. It seems a bit weaker than Bino's but is only 2 exalts (Bino's in bloodlines seem to run for ~5). Would this be a suitable replacement?

If it's an ambusher base I would probably buy it over the Bino, for Demon Dager/Kris the crit is kinda low. However you should also consider that Bino has a huge regen effect that might play a big role for you depending on your surviveability.
+1 to last line above.
Bino is a crazy dagger, really. With the insane regen on kill, I would definitely favor it in an hc league if I had the funds. And it has enough damage and crit to eventually reach ridiculous dps amount.

If physical reflect is too much of an issue, just switch reave with lightning or molten strike (level one on switch ;)), and adjust the supports (ex: multistrike, wed, faster attack, added fire, pcoc - no support that affects melee only) and you'll be fine.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Re: reflect, I'm regularly running around with 75k pdps (107 total) and don't have an issue. No vaal pact, no acuity, just an initial granite flask when I see the pack in time to ensure that IC procs without hurting me too too bad, and then I can clear one or more packs by the time it goes away.

For phys reflect MAPS, you can sub in lightning strike with a phys to lightning gem in your setup. You'll take a dps hit, but it's not too too bad. I've done this before and it works fine, but I tend not to bother anymore... easier just to re-roll the map.
Any idea about using an off-hand tri-resist weapon that can't be used with reave to enable twin-terrors?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info