[2.2] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave

"
negusmaster wrote:
Really nice build, leveling was easy and can't wait until I can use bino's ( currently using a crap rare I'm lvl 60)

I only have around 2k life, is this because of my crappy gear?
Spoiler

Most of your gear is lacking live, so it is obvious that your life pool will suffer drastically. As a rule og thumb you should aim for a life mod on every gear piece.

"
negusmaster wrote:
Also, whenever I use vaal reave to get 8+ stacks, I usually lose them pretty fast. i bought some okay 30 move speed boots but I still lose them quite a bit. is there any way I can fix this?

Don't use Vaal Reave it's bad.

"
domaren12345 wrote:
could you post what potions you are currently using?

+ Surgeon's Granite Flask with %Armor rolls
Pupicitas: lv. 100 Shadow
[2.1] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave Shadow: /994474
EU Officer of Umbra Exiles: /732431
Hello, first of all, I would like to thank the build, actually very good, i'm loving it.

I'm at level 80, and I started the process of exchange of equipment, my doubts at the time and on my chest.

I wonder if it's worth going after a Belly 5l, or is it better to make the chaos game on my current chest.

I'm little poor after Bino's.

Spoiler

Thanks.
Improving my English..
"
EneMyD3 wrote:
[... ] I wonder if it's worth going after a Belly 5l, or is it better to make the chaos game on my current chest.

I would not buy a 5L Belly. It's more efficient to buy an unlinked one and link it by yourself.
Your current chest has decent rolls (shame it's missing life though), so I don't think investing more chaos on it is relly worth it, however I am not very familiar with torment market values.
EDIT: I'm updating original post for clarity.

TLDR; Don't chaos your chest. Good way to lose lots of money. 5L bellies are crazy cheap in Torment right now. May not make sense to craft yourself.

Chaos-ing that chest and hoping to land a Godly piece of armor has really bad expected value. Even if you wanted to do that and play the chaos game, just buy any junk 5L chest with decent ilvl for cheap, and use THAT for chaos-crafting. The odds of it being godly are the same and that way you won't brick your chest...

With that said, there are plenty of 5L Bellies for sale 1.5 ex. That seems like a lot, but that's only ~70 chaos. The chance of you rolling a chest that beats a Belly's stats within 70 chaos is very low. Additionally, while I generally link all items myself, if you're not interested in doing this multiple times for a chance at a 6L, it may be cheaper to buy a cheap belly than to craft it.

Why? A 1.5ex 5L is equivalent to about 90 fusings. But fusings aren't the only cost of a 5L. You also have the jewellers for a 6S and the cost of the base item itself. Right now, it's getting hard to find decently rolled Bellies for less than 15c (~20 fusings). And 6S an item is something that can be done quickly, or not. If we all agree that Vorici 6S is higher than the average cost, let's assume that he's TWICE the avg. That means 6S would be 160 fusings (that's a bit less than half, but makes the math easier). That's the equivalent of 40 fusings. Now we're ready to 5L. To beat the cost of an already linked belly, we need to 5L in 30 fusings... SO... do we feel lucky?

Self-Crafting makes sense if you plan on doing it long enough to hit the 6L payoff, but take it from someone doing that and selling off his 5L's... I'm having a hard time breaking even on my 5L's while selling. Most of the time I'm selling at a tiny loss... That's find for me, since my goal is 6L nirvana, but if you're not interested in doing that (or don't have the currency to do it yet) think hard about whether self crafting is really the best strategy for you. (NOTE: This holds true for bellies only right now. Other Items where the 5L cost is higher skew the math. Also, if the Belly Market changes, the above could change as well. Always do your own research rather than just listening to some guy on teh internetz.)
Last edited by prescben on Feb 4, 2015, 11:20:59 AM
I've meant to post back to this thread for a while.

I wanted something different for Torment and wanted to have a leveled shadow in standard. Because it was a new league and I knew I wouldn't have a ton of time, I also wanted something Cheap(ish). Your build fit the bill. And I'm loving it.
Current Toon and alterations
I made some changes only because I'm spending time doing dedicated Atziri farming. For that, I really like Phase Acrobatics. Because I now have Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics, I run Abyssus, and because I run Abyssus (with the 25kdps boost), I specced out of mind drinker in favor of a 1% crafted leech on gloves. A few other minor changes, but nothing that won't be undone when I get back to leveling.

Offence: With Abyssus and a 5L including IncAoE, DPS is 32K. For Boss burn-down I sub in conceffect for 107K dps
Defence: 42% evasion (I'm running grace for trio since, you know, abyssus), 40%dodge, 30%spell dodge, 32% block. Bino's for crazy regen, incAoE for packs.

At least, I'm having an awesome time NOW. One of my more favorite toons. You won't be a tank-god, but you're tanky enough that with smart play, you should basically never die. (NOTE: This does not mean my alterations to this spec are HC viable. They are not. Abyssus w/o crazy mitigation is never HC viable in my mind.)

But while I love the build NOW, I had a love hate relationship with it for a while until I payed closer attention to your original gearing.

So, some observations to those just starting this build or those leveling through the 70's and early 80's who, like me, didn't catch some stuff in the original build guide.

1.) Don't Forget accuracy mods!

For a while, I couldn't understand what was wrong with my 78 toon. My healthpool was decent, my tooltip dps was okay (~30K). I should be ROCKING these 71 maps... But alas! My reave LOOKED like it was hitting people, but nothing was happening. Well, 80% hit chance is abysmal! You figure 80% plus 9 attacks per second, means 7 hits per second... but that wasn't the case. I'll let someone who knows about the mechanics speak to it, but I'm guessing that the base chance to hit in tooltip doesn't account for monster evasion mods etc.

Solution?
Spoiler

These are NOT great rings. They are at best fine. But they changed the build dramatically. Night and God-Damn-Glorious day.

2.) IncAOE is a DEFENSIVE GEM!!!
Your principal defense with this build is your ranged offence. It's just that simple. You don't have to tank damage that never gets to you.

2a.) Corollary: DPS is ALSO your biggest Defense.
If you can't burn down the mob, who cares if you can hit it from a screen away.

3.) Stacks Schmacks.
With high attack speed, max reave comes back so fast it doesn't TRULY matter if you lose your stacks, so don't be afraid to AM or to WB out of dangerous situations. Best Defense is to avoid damage, so get out of dicey situations, and use a straggler to get back your stacks so that you can become a ranged killing machine again.

4.) Position yourself well.
You're not a melee character. Not really. Don't jump into the middle of a pack if you're not sure you can handle it. Why? Because your dps to any quadrant of monsters is cut in MORE than half as your toon spins around doing reaves. Better to have all your reaves on a single sector. There's just no reason to find yourself surrounded and if you are, no reason you can't quickly and easily rectify the situation.
"
prescben wrote:
[...]For a while, I couldn't understand what was wrong with my 78 toon. My healthpool was decent, my tooltip dps was okay (~30K). I should be ROCKING these 71 maps... But alas! My reave LOOKED like it was hitting people, but nothing was happening. Well, 80% hit chance is abysmal! You figure 80% plus 9 attacks per second, means 7 hits per second... but that wasn't the case. I'll let someone who knows about the mechanics speak to it, but I'm guessing that the base chance to hit in tooltip doesn't account for monster evasion mods etc.

Solution?
Spoiler

These are NOT great rings. They are at best fine. But they changed the build dramatically. Night and God-Damn-Glorious day. [/spoiler]

When your tooltip states 9 atacks per second you are actually only performing 3 attacks that get reapeted 2 times each. So if you miss 1 attack, you will automatically miss the 2 follow up attacks aswell. Therefore accuracy is a really important (and often undervalued) stat for this build.
Hi, I currently have lvl80 shadow which was originally doing static strike, then spectral throw and now I settled to reave, so my build is quite similar to this one. I wanted to ask how important Bino is. I have spent my "wealth" on this dagger, that I am currently using. Can't afford Bino's now and have nobody who would land it to me to try it out.... will it be better (overall) than my crafted dagger?

"
Balron wrote:
Hi, I currently have lvl80 shadow which was originally doing static strike, then spectral throw and now I settled to reave, so my build is quite similar to this one. I wanted to ask how important Bino is. I have spent my "wealth" on this dagger, that I am currently using. Can't afford Bino's now and have nobody who would land it to me to try it out.... will it be better (overall) than my crafted dagger?

Bino's will be significantly stronger than your dagger since it has way higher crit chance. After the nerfs to Adder's Touch and crit multi in general I would not really recommend to purchase it anymore, since you can already get daggers that are DPS wise much stronger than Bino's for the same price.
Hello. Been following the build and it's working out quite well for me (:

Just have one question. In the "FAQ" tab, you mention Vaal Pact. However, your skill tree does not take the passive (since you're using the Acuity gloves). Should i take Vaal Pact's passive instead of Golem's Blood or Thick Skin considering i cannot get some Acuity myself ?
"
FabioWolf wrote:
Hello. Been following the build and it's working out quite well for me (:

Just have one question. In the "FAQ" tab, you mention Vaal Pact. However, your skill tree does not take the passive (since you're using the Acuity gloves). Should i take Vaal Pact's passive instead of Golem's Blood or Thick Skin considering i cannot get some Acuity myself ?

Get Vaal Pact if you meet the listed requirements and you feel that you need more leech. VP skilltree would look like this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info