New upcoming unique.

"
Veruski wrote:
"
0/0 is not full mana. It's just not low mana either.

0/0 should be considered both full mana and low mana, if you're being mathematically consistent.

No, I think they got it right. It should be neither because 0/0 is undefined in mathematics. Full and Low have to correspond to real values in math that their game engine can evaluate.

Full is anything >= 1. (Now that I think about it, a unique that lets you have slightly more life or mana than your maximum would be interesting.)

Low is anything < 0.35. (I'm not sure if being dead also counts as Low Life, but that's kind of irrelevant anyways.)

So, is 0/0 >= 1 or < 0.35? There is no answer, because 0/0 is undefined. Therefore, if you're being mathematically consistent, it is neither.

"
Raycheetah wrote:
0/0 life is dead, not low life. =^[.]^=

Actually, I don't think 0/0 life would be dead either. Dead is anything <= 0, which 0/0 can't be, because it is undefined. Think about it like this: how can something be dead, when it was never alive in the first place? =0[.]o=
"
Fightgarr wrote:
- Corrupt 5% MS
- Spec into Zealots' Oath
- Get some flat life regen so you can recover the 18ES from these boots instantly

Congrats, you now have 45% MS boots. Seems pretty cool to me.

That would be a good idea, but ZO only converts % regen.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Wooser69 wrote:
"
Fightgarr wrote:
- Corrupt 5% MS
- Get some flat life regen so you can recover the 18ES from these boots instantly

No, it converts life regeneration, all of it.
My supporter items: Victario's Charity and The Forsaken
"
Meridin wrote:
"
Veruski wrote:
"
0/0 is not full mana. It's just not low mana either.

0/0 should be considered both full mana and low mana, if you're being mathematically consistent.

No, I think they got it right. It should be neither because 0/0 is undefined in mathematics. Full and Low have to correspond to real values in math that their game engine can evaluate.

Full is anything >= 1. (Now that I think about it, a unique that lets you have slightly more life or mana than your maximum would be interesting.)

Low is anything < 0.35. (I'm not sure if being dead also counts as Low Life, but that's kind of irrelevant anyways.)

So, is 0/0 >= 1 or < 0.35? There is no answer, because 0/0 is undefined. Therefore, if you're being mathematically consistent, it is neither.
Indeed. 0/0 is undefined, and thus neither full nor low.

"
Meridin wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
0/0 life is dead, not low life. =^[.]^=

Actually, I don't think 0/0 life would be dead either. Dead is anything <= 0, which 0/0 can't be, because it is undefined. Think about it like this: how can something be dead, when it was never alive in the first place? =0[.]o=
This one you're overthinking. 0/0 is undefined, and thus the answers to "is this on low life?" and "is this on full life?" are both no.
It's still dead, because deadness isn't checking 0/0 - being dead isn't a function of your current life compared to maximum life like full or low, it's just your current life.
At 0/0 life your current life is simply 0, which is a defined value at which you are dead.

Actually reducing your maximum life to 0 so that you can be dead in this way is left as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 13, 2014, 10:26:38 PM
"
Mokihiki wrote:
"
Wooser69 wrote:
"
Fightgarr wrote:
- Corrupt 5% MS

No, it converts life regeneration, all of it.

Huh, must have remembered wrong. Well alright then, the boots do have at least 1 extremely niche and not very useful purpose.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
It's still dead, because deadness isn't checking 0/0 - being dead isn't a function of your current life compared to maximum life like full or low, it's just your current life.
At 0/0 life your current life is simply 0, which is a defined value at which you are dead.

Darn. I was hoping one day I could make a Schrödinger build and beat the system!

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Actually reducing your maximum life to 0 so that you can be dead in this way is left as an exercise for the reader.

Hmm... the best I can think of right now gets it down to 5%.

Carnage Heart -25%
The Covenant -20%
Ming's Heart -30% (-15% x2)
Ephemeral Edge -20% (-10% x2)

Total is -95%. Maybe if you're CI it would round down to 0?
"
Meridin wrote:

Total is -95%. Maybe if you're CI it would round down to 0?

Nah, increases/reductions are done before putting the life at 1. Effective HP (for stun, effect duration, etc) would be something like 20.
IGN: Fiona_Falconstrike, Geldar_the_Barbarian, Natalie_Fellshadow
Last edited by InsaneWallaby on Aug 13, 2014, 11:02:42 PM
"
Meridin wrote:

Darn. I was hoping one day I could make a Schrödinger build and beat the system!

Random thought of the day: What happens to a Schrödinger's Weeping Angel when you observe it?
"
Meridin wrote:
Carnage Heart -25%
The Covenant -20%
That is a lot more than I thought would be possible. O_o

The designers have now been warned against putting any more reduced maximum life on uniques in other slots so we don't reach 100%, and I'm adding a safety net that will prevent it from permanently bricking a character if it ever accidentally becomes possible.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Meridin wrote:
Carnage Heart -25%
The Covenant -20%
That is a lot more than I thought would be possible. O_o

The designers have now been warned against putting any more reduced maximum life on uniques in other slots so we don't reach 100%, and I'm adding a safety net that will prevent it from permanently bricking a character if it ever accidentally becomes possible.

Just imagine the fun there would have been with infinite death loops or divide by 0 errors!
IGN: Fiona_Falconstrike, Geldar_the_Barbarian, Natalie_Fellshadow

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info