Grim Dawn is actually better than PoE

"
VictorDoom wrote:
Well thats very good news, i didnt know they were that close to finishing it, so basically its going to be fully released in 2016. Those devotions sound a lot like the paragon system in diablo 3, pretty cool

Release will most likely be late 2015.

Devs have stated that the game WILL be finished in 2015.

"
Crackmonster wrote:
"
VictorDoom wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Best ARPG gear-grinding game atm is Archeage.

too bad thats a MMORPG and not an arpg

That's not true.

Action Role Playing Game. ARPG

Wow and other standard mmo's are action focused RPG games.

So, for the most part mmo's are arpg's whereas only some arpg's are mmo's.

Archeage falls into the genre of an MMORPG while PoE falls into ARPG genre.
"
VictorDoom wrote:
the game is very similar to titan quest if you played that one, you get skills from the passive tree like cadance from soldier is a good attack to replace your default, you can upgrade this attack and respec points at an time, buy you can not respec the points you put in the class bar thingy. Then at level 14 you get to pick another class, i use soldier+nightblade and i put mostly points in nightblade since i like dual wielding.
I never played Titan quest, but I gave Grim Dawn a 2nd try and things went much better. What I said before was my feedback from my first attempt (as soldier, died level 4 only skill was cadence).

My main gripe for my 2nd play is that I felt I was forced to take a skill, maybe thats just early on and you can unspec it later, but it was very difficult when I did not take the aoe attack on soldier from my first attempt.

The main thing that is puzzling me right now is what I am meant to be doing with the skill points, I have Nightblade as the secondary but it did not provide me with a good single target like I had hoped.

My character is sort of progressing as I had hoped, and the Soldier options seem pretty straightforward, but the secondary class and working out what skills I want other than soldier confuses me. Right now I combined 3 claws and it gave me an awesome single target which I needed, but since I cant level the attack Im not sure if it will continue to be good.
Last edited by Metronomy on Mar 12, 2015, 5:36:47 AM
What kind of build are you working on?
A tip to make your life easier - stats are very important in this game. It's not only to meet the gear requirements. Distribution of attribute points could also define the build.
Don't over invest earlier in certain skill/s, but plan on long route builds, which travel deeper in the skill tree and require investments in skill attributes (the bar at bottom).
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
Metronomy wrote:
"
VictorDoom wrote:
the game is very similar to titan quest if you played that one, you get skills from the passive tree like cadance from soldier is a good attack to replace your default, you can upgrade this attack and respec points at an time, buy you can not respec the points you put in the class bar thingy. Then at level 14 you get to pick another class, i use soldier+nightblade and i put mostly points in nightblade since i like dual wielding.
I never played Titan quest, but I gave Grim Dawn a 2nd try and things went much better. What I said before was my feedback from my first attempt (as soldier, died level 4 only skill was cadence).

My main gripe for my 2nd play is that I felt I was forced to take a skill, maybe thats just early on and you can unspec it later, but it was very difficult when I did not take the aoe attack on soldier from my first attempt.

The main thing that is puzzling me right now is what I am meant to be doing with the skill points, I have Nightblade as the secondary but it did not provide me with a good single target like I had hoped.

My character is sort of progressing as I had hoped, and the Soldier options seem pretty straightforward, but the secondary class and working out what skills I want other than soldier confuses me. Right now I combined 3 claws and it gave me an awesome single target which I needed, but since I cant level the attack Im not sure if it will continue to be good.

Since you already have the nightbalde tree then youre all good, for example i picked the same thing soldier + nightblade and dual wield, this is my build: http://grimcalc.com/build/Uhf6sS

To explain that build cadence is your main attack, then cadance has a chance to proc one of the passive attacks that you pick for example in night blade the top bar has chance to proc passives which give aoe attacks and high single damage attacks.

The Active AoEs are Lethal Gambit with blade burts,ring of steel, along with the AoE attacks you get passively by just using cadance you have a ton of AoE dps and very high single target

Now if you spent more than 5 points in the soldier bar then youd have to use another build since you cant respec out of the general skill bar, this a good alternative:http://grimcalc.com/build/9aDlC1

That is if you want to go dual wield, otherwise just spec out of dual blades and get something else

The second buil might be more to your taste since its default attack his high damage aoe

Im not sure what 3 claws is though
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Mar 12, 2015, 6:45:37 AM
I don't want to play it until it's finished, so I'm patiently waiting :)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
I don't want to play it until it's finished, so I'm patiently waiting :)

I have not played Grim Dawn seriously when it came out almost two years ago, and every once in a while I do happen to check upon the game, but I stopped doing that a while back. I think it was around when Arcanist came out that I just checked around a bit for the last time. Ever since then, I decided to wait patiently for Grim Dawn to hit full release.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Any "loot based" game (even Borderlands franchise) that doesn't have a secured economy is not acceptable in my book. I would check them out, but no time dedication because what's the point of spending hundreds of hours to find an item when everyone else is carrying it through a hack? No thanks. Loot based games have their entire replay value dependent on "finding loot", so it's very contradictory to the concept to allow hacks.

At the very least, they should allow both an offline only and online only versions. I like my competitive games and I'm sure many others do, so the ARPG devs need to appeal to both players (especially online players because this is PC gaming after all).

Now with that said, I did check out Grim Dawn recently and it's a wonderful game. It has everything going for it, except for what I mentioned above and that's what makes it upsetting. They could have easily taken the same approach as PoE, online F2P model with a fair cash shop and they could have made millions by now. But nooope, I guess some devs have all the brains for developing, but not for business tactics.

It's a huge waste of potential and for that reason, even a game like Scrublo 3 is better. PoE will remain the undisputed king of course.
"
FierceAgent wrote:
I would check them out, but no time dedication because what's the point of spending hundreds of hours to find an item when everyone else is carrying it through a hack? No thanks. Loot based games have their entire replay value dependent on "finding loot", so it's very contradictory to the concept to allow hacks.

While it does seem contradictory, it is the PLAYER choice of whether or not to follow the immersion of finding that loot without resorting to hacks. Unless the player admits using, you cannot tell if the player hacked or not. If the player, and you happen to be party leader, kick em out and blacklist the player on a piece of paper or something.

At the same time, it is not as bad compare to someone RMTing a competitive game, and if you have no proof that the player RMTed or not, the competitive nature is already wrecked from the start and you would need the player to admit he/she RMT, and then you can report the player. Duping can still occur in online gaming, but it is not easy, and it already has happened many times in PoE. Knowing that there was some dupe left unscathed for a long time really stink like donkey genitals. I cannot blame the developers for not finding it fast enough, but the dupe really damaged the economy of the game (well for permanent leagues). This is one of my pet peeves on PoE that the game is economical-driven, even though, I mostly treat PoE like a single-player game.

To some extent, if I have enough currencies, I can get pretty much almost anything I want from this game. I have the option to play self-found, but I chose not to.....because I can.

"
FierceAgent wrote:
At the very least, they should allow both an offline only and online only versions. I like my competitive games and I'm sure many others do, so the ARPG devs need to appeal to both players (especially online players because this is PC gaming after all).

Problem with this is that Crate Entertainment does not have a lot of money to buy servers or even maintain them. This team was really small from the start, and even with the kickstarter fund they got, it would not be enough to buy servers since they needed that fund to hire more developer to speed up the developing process. I think Crate was dead set on going offline from the beginning because they took everything into consideration.

"
FierceAgent wrote:

It's a huge waste of potential and for that reason, even a game like Scrublo 3 is better. PoE will remain the undisputed king of course.

Even with D3 being improved a lot because of RoS, I still have more fun with Grim Dawn. PoE is one of the most popular ARPG game out there, but it is not the king in my opinion (you forgot to add this to your post ;) ). Diablo 2 is still kicking butt, Grim Dawn is rising up, Dark Souls is being Dark Souls, and etcera.

Edit: At the end of the day, playing both Grim Dawn and PoE will be a blessing for me.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 13, 2015, 3:50:31 AM
"
FierceAgent wrote:
Any "loot based" game (even Borderlands franchise) that doesn't have a secured economy is not acceptable in my book. I would check them out, but no time dedication because what's the point of spending hundreds of hours to find an item when everyone else is carrying it through a hack? No thanks. Loot based games have their entire replay value dependent on "finding loot", so it's very contradictory to the concept to allow hacks.

I really don't understand how, mentally, you are not ok with an offline game like Grim Dawn, while you are ok with an RMT-able game like PoE. The *only* difference in my head is the price that someone has to pay for "success" through *not* playing. In Grim Dawn, it is literally as easy as copying someone else's save game file. In PoE, you log onto a website and hand over your paypal details. The only difference is monetary cost. In both games, you can cheat.

Why are you ok with one, and not the other?

P.
"
FierceAgent wrote:

Well, GD isn't supposed to have stable economy, if at all. Nor it was ever planned to be a competitive game. So the number of players wearing, let's say identical/specific/OP, items, doesn't matter.
There also will be official modding tools and almost everything's allowed, if you want to. They will probably implement cheat detection (not protection) for multiplayer, as a great part of players tend to avoid cheaters, but nothing more.

Speaking in general GD got the exact opposite mindset, compared to PoE, in many ways.

Developers got enough brains to have a clear vision of what they are doing, it just differs of what you think is "right".
So I guess it's just not for you.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info