Race Season Eight - Signature Race (Locked June 16)

"
Morsexier wrote:
"
ctcsback wrote:

And sorry, I shouldn't have said "eliminate". Obviously, that is impossible and some variance is tolerable, but the devs should have at least tested it so that the winner currently isn't the one with the best pack rng in inner halls. Their decision to reduce the time for the race somewhat mitigates the issue, but doesn't actually resolve the real problem. Also, why not add more zones instead of reducing the time. The D:C races last season got a bit stale in all honesty.

The problem is that this exists currently in Docks as well. I averaged 1,150,000 xp on my docks in my first and what became second place marauder run. Goratha averaged 1,250,000.

He beat me by 150,000 and arrived in docks later than I did.

I had a run where I averaged 1,350,000 for two docks ( had a bad run before that).

I saw GreatOne have a 1,750,000 5 minute split, and I think I remember a witch or two having a consistent 1,400,000 for 3-4 splits.

The reason this has become a more pressing problem in recent seasons is because docks is now a 15 minute affair, vs 40, 35, 30 minutes for seasons 2,5,6 respectively.

"
SlixSC wrote:
"
Why is everyone focusing on the randomness of a single race when a signature race is run dozens of times throughout the season? You can luck your way to placing well in one race, but to do it consistently over many races takes skill. Besides, there aren't many fun and competitive activities that don't involve a good deal of randomness. I'm honestly surprised at how variance averse this community is.

Because consistency is a non-factor when all records are set in individual races with good rng? lol

In other words, you are missing the point.

Sig race RNG was tolerable because you could reset zones, so at least you had more than one chance to hope for good packs. Longer races would eventually help even out the pack rng all players experience, so in a longer race where people farmed the last zone, the exp gains would balance out. My problem with D:C and its pack rng was that I cleared 50-80% of all zones up to the Brute, then 80-100% cleared every zone afterwards and had 5+ minutes left at the end of race with 0 monsters left in inner halls (with shitty pack RNG). I had an amazing run, but couldn't get 1st because lack of good monster packs. In a Sig, even if I got all whites, I would have won, but you only get 1 zone in D:C. This is the RNG problem, and why I feel there needs to be a change.
Last edited by ctcsback on May 18, 2014, 2:44:48 PM
"
ctcsback wrote:
"
Morsexier wrote:
"
ctcsback wrote:

And sorry, I shouldn't have said "eliminate". Obviously, that is impossible and some variance is tolerable, but the devs should have at least tested it so that the winner currently isn't the one with the best pack rng in inner halls. Their decision to reduce the time for the race somewhat mitigates the issue, but doesn't actually resolve the real problem. Also, why not add more zones instead of reducing the time. The D:C races last season got a bit stale in all honesty.

The problem is that this exists currently in Docks as well. I averaged 1,150,000 xp on my docks in my first and what became second place marauder run. Goratha averaged 1,250,000.

He beat me by 150,000 and arrived in docks later than I did.

I had a run where I averaged 1,350,000 for two docks ( had a bad run before that).

I saw GreatOne have a 1,750,000 5 minute split, and I think I remember a witch or two having a consistent 1,400,000 for 3-4 splits.

The reason this has become a more pressing problem in recent seasons is because docks is now a 15 minute affair, vs 40, 35, 30 minutes for seasons 2,5,6 respectively.

"
SlixSC wrote:
"
Why is everyone focusing on the randomness of a single race when a signature race is run dozens of times throughout the season? You can luck your way to placing well in one race, but to do it consistently over many races takes skill. Besides, there aren't many fun and competitive activities that don't involve a good deal of randomness. I'm honestly surprised at how variance averse this community is.

Because consistency is a non-factor when all records are set in individual races with good rng? lol

In other words, you are missing the point.

Sig race RNG was tolerable because you could reset zones, so at least you had more than one chance to hope for good packs. Longer races would eventually help even out the pack rng all players experience, so in a longer race where people farmed the last zone, the exp gains would balance out. My problem with D:C and its pack rng was that I cleared 50-80% of all zones up to the Brute, then 80-100% cleared every zone afterwards and had 5+ minutes left at the end of race with 0 monsters left in inner halls (with shitty pack RNG). I had an amazing run, but couldn't get 1st because lack of good monster packs. In a Sig, even if I got all whites, I would have won, but you only get 1 zone in D:C. This is the RNG problem, and why I feel there needs to be a change.

What's that gotta do with my post?
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
EL sig race pls! I luv rng!
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
GG. Enjoyed being the few people that played templar. Not anymore.
Remove class-related rewards? HAHAHAHAHA that's the most retarded thing ever, after a few races it'll be 100% obvious which class is the best and everyone will play it as there'll be absolutely ZERO incentive to play any other (inferior) class when there's no possible reward involved (IMO that one best class will be the Witch, but that remains to be seen... and you can tell your fairy tales about balancing the classes (by adding a glacial cascade gem to the chest and such?? el-oh-el!) to your children, maybe they'll believe you, I certainly know better ROFL).

Here's what you've got to do to make that new signature descent champions race better:

- remove drops from monsters, all gear should be from chests and all classes should get the exact same gear from consecutive chests (which means there would be much more gear in the chests as you'd have to combine all the stuff that's there already)

- there should be the exact same number of monsters in every player's map and their location within the map should be fixed

- dying should give you a harsh experience penalty (50% of your current exp towards next lvl or so) rather than eliminate you from the race (yes, you effin' heard me) because desync is a reality in this game and it's time you finally got it through your head instead of just pretending you do

- monsters shouldn't be capable of performing critical hits (YES, THAT'S WHAT I SAID)

- bosses should be optional so that the melee classes can skip the fucking nuisance Rukuku or whatever it's called (but there should be massive exp reward for killing them to make you think twice before skipping)

Also, EVERY race should be fixed seed because CHEATERS are a reality of this game and MAPHACKING is a reality of the race events AND WHY SHOULD THE DAMN CHEATERS HAVE SUCH A HUGE ADVANTAGE OVER ME, A LEGITIMATE PLAYER, WHEN IT CAN VERY EASILY BE DONE AWAY WITH by making every race a fixed seed race? (inb4 maphackers defending their unfair advantage)

If any of the above points were mentioned already in this tl;dr thread then treat that as me agreeing with whoever said it first.

hilbert pls
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info