Race Season Eight - Signature Race (Locked June 16)

"
ctcsback wrote:

And sorry, I shouldn't have said "eliminate". Obviously, that is impossible and some variance is tolerable, but the devs should have at least tested it so that the winner currently isn't the one with the best pack rng in inner halls. Their decision to reduce the time for the race somewhat mitigates the issue, but doesn't actually resolve the real problem. Also, why not add more zones instead of reducing the time. The D:C races last season got a bit stale in all honesty.

The problem is that this exists currently in Docks as well. I averaged 1,150,000 xp on my docks in my first and what became second place marauder run. Goratha averaged 1,250,000.

He beat me by 150,000 and arrived in docks later than I did.

I had a run where I averaged 1,350,000 for two docks ( had a bad run before that).

I saw GreatOne have a 1,750,000 5 minute split, and I think I remember a witch or two having a consistent 1,400,000 for 3-4 splits.

The reason this has become a more pressing problem in recent seasons is because docks is now a 15 minute affair, vs 40, 35, 30 minutes for seasons 2,5,6 respectively.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
Why is everyone focusing on the randomness of a single race when a signature race is run dozens of times throughout the season? You can luck your way to placing well in one race, but to do it consistently over many races takes skill. Besides, there aren't many fun and competitive activities that don't involve a good deal of randomness. I'm honestly surprised at how variance averse this community is.
Last edited by PureTrancendence on May 16, 2014, 10:15:37 PM
"
Why is everyone focusing on the randomness of a single race when a signature race is run dozens of times throughout the season? You can luck your way to placing well in one race, but to do it consistently over many races takes skill. Besides, there aren't many fun and competitive activities that don't involve a good deal of randomness. I'm honestly surprised at how variance averse this community is.

Because consistency is a non-factor when all records are set in individual races with good rng? lol

In other words, you are missing the point.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
This is by far my favorite race. I will never, ever be a top tier racer. I race for points, to have fun and get the rewards that look interesting to me. I have no inclination to try to be competitive with anyone but myself in races, finishing one alive does this nicely for me. The void league races give people who aren't normal racers the chance to try it out and not be to afraid of dying and still get points rather than have a oops moment, die and just wasted 60 minutes you can't get back. I'd love longer DC races instead of shorter ones but I'm guessing the non-competitive people were logging at 40 minutes, which was probably their set goal of whatever points they wanted to reach - there isn't really a way to combat that. People who are racing for a certain tier of points will still log out at whatever time they need to reach that point goal, whether the race is 40 minutes or 2 hours. I tried to make it further and further in each race but never even made it to Grav so a longer race where I could get further would be nice, in a strictly selfish request on my part to just want to see the content.

That being said - I would GLADLY forfeit racing this season and any other season you need it, if you need a tester from a super casual who doesn't level quickly and will probably never even see Grav in a race - especially if it's even shorter.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

I like the direction you're going with these changes, however:

There is no hope of truly balancing the classes. There will always be a best one for these races. But: you can balance the rewards. Make all rewards on a per-class basis, so that there will be motivation to try to win this race on each class (and thus also to participate in more races).
I've always thought that all races should be different and that fixed seed is boring. New layout and monster density is less boring and is a challenging factor.

On the other side, each game should offer the exact same challenge to every player. This is true both for D:C where pack density is so important, but also for EL where you're result is too strongly linked with the type of monster you encounter after the first ledge.

So: make all game "fixed seed" (for layout, monster pack, and even drops...) but don't show the map and roll a new seed for each race. It's the best of two options.
"
Souleus wrote:

There is no hope of truly balancing the classes.

You're right it shouldn't matter, but it should in the sense that if the last point bracket is 26, all classes should be atleast achieveable of hitting it.

Shadow has not hit 26 at all in the 3 seasons of descent champs, and therefore I feel it needs the buffs.
"
The Entrance Hall, The Chattering Halls, The Croaking Halls and The Rasping Halls have had dead-ends trimmed off.

So good.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
awesome
Youtube @guitarguy234
Twitter @guitarguy234
twitch.tv/awsomesawcee
My band: http://www.slackjawbluesband.com
Good change into killing the game even faster......

Can you at last give up on CT? And with you I mean the entire current "balance team".

Season 2 had more CTs than this "testing"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info