[Official] WINE info thread

"
The only file it loads is the config file. I must have a distro specific path somewhere. What distro are you using?

I'll have to create a separate thread for it later tonight.

Couldn't find a seperate thread, so assuming you haven't made one yet.

Looks interesting, unfortunately it doesn't work for me (on Arch Linux).

First off, it fails not being able to find the default.config file.
The installer created ~/.config/linux-poe-tools.json
Renaming that file to ~/.config/default-config.json seems to make it work, as does moving it to ~/.config/linux-poe-tools/default-config.json

From here, the slash commands fail, and get called as 7remaining, 7hideout respectively.

F6, the price lookup, fails with the following in terminal:
"
(node:32366) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection (rejection id: 2): TypeError: Cannot read property '1' of null
(node:32366) DeprecationWarning: Unhandled promise rejections are deprecated. In the future, promise rejections that are not handled will terminate the Node.js process with a non-zero exit code.

F4 also fails with Cannot read property '1' of null, but in the pop-up (xterm?) window.

In addition, the Memory stuff, which is what I am really interested in, isn't loading or the conditions for it loading aren't occurring with me just standing for a few minutes in town.

In any event, I am no nodejs wizard, but I had a peek at the memory.ts file, and it seems you're using the free command to look at total system memory used/free?
If that is the case, I don't think it will work out so great on systems with a load of RAM as the cap we run into is the 32bit process memory allocation limit.
I might be totally off base here, in several ways, of course.

Thanks for the tool, though, looks promising and useful!
"
gonaldinho wrote:
I had the impression that 2.4.2 ran very smooth while 2.5.0 has a lot of stuttering and very fast performance degradation. Running under Xubuntu, PlayOnLinux, Wine 1.9.18 most of the time (I tried many different Wine versions and configurations, this ran the best for me so far).

Anyone tried different garbage collector settings in 2.5? Because not setting it at all, "-gc 100" and "-gc 1" didn't seem to change anything in this version.

Good luck and let's hope dx11 runs some day :)

The "-gc 100" option keeps working for me just fine in 2.5. The only thing that gives me performance issues is the burning ground map mod, other ground effects are fine. I was able to get a HC char (blade flurry gladiator) to level 89, and my rip was caused by my own mistake, not by any technical issues.

Without "-gc 100", I still get severe stuttering after 20 minutes or so.
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
-gc 100 doesn't help at all for me. I've given up on trying to get the game running smoothly in Wine. Performance always degrades heavily over time, no matter what I do.
Try using play on linux, or play on mac.

Mine is working the best it has since 2.3.

"
Chadwixx wrote:
Try using play on linux, or play on mac.

Mine is working the best it has since 2.3.

Playonlinux is just a frontend for wine. It doesn't do anything you can't already do manually.
Easier to share settings.
carkasjak:
What does your production_Config.ini look like? Specifically, the stuff under [DISPLAY]?

Something like this appears to be what works:

[GENERAL]
engine_multithreading_mode=disabled
[DISPLAY]
shadow_type=no_shadows
post_processing=false
texture_filtering=1
antialias_mode=0
screen_shake=false
texture_quality=1

In addition, as mentioned earlier in the thread, running with WINEDEBUG=fixme-all to get rid of fixme error messages can help with performance.

That would make the command to run the game:
WINEDEBUG=fixme-all wine PathOfExile.exe -gc 100

I am curious, because getting the game playable nearly all of the time should be doable.
Last edited by slightlyrandom on Jan 20, 2017, 12:56:11 AM
texture_filtering=1

Set that to

texture_filtering=0

Make sure you have this checked on. Its in the Staging tab.

Enable CSMT for better graphic preformance

It will allow to you use Engine multithreading
"

I am curious, because getting the game playable nearly all of the time should be doable.

It is technically playable for a casual player, but I would not be comfortable at all playing hardcore like this, and even on softcore I would severely hurt my grinding efficiency. Basically I will not be satisfied until I can get much closer to native Windows performance than I am at the moment.

Spoiler

[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
borderless_windowed_fullscreen=false
directx_version=auto
dx11_antialias_mode=0
dx9_antialias_mode=0
fullscreen=true
max_PS_shader_model=ps_3_0
max_VS_shader_model=vs_3_0
maximize_window=false
post_processing=false
resolution_height=1080
resolution_width=1920
screen_shake=false
shadow_type=no_shadows
texture_filtering=0
texture_quality=1
vsync=true
[GENERAL]
engine_multithreading_mode=enabled

I've played around with these settings a lot, but none of them fix my stuttering issues. Right now I'm running wine-staging version 2.0rc5 with CSMT on. This boosts overall performance a bit, but does not fix my stuttering issues.

WINEDEBUG=fixme-all had no noticeable effect for me.

It starts out fine, but after playing for just a short time, it'll start stuttering when fighting monsters, and sometimes gets drastically worse after zoning into an area.

This video shows the stuttering pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ESdTLH9qY

EDIT: I should mention that I've experienced these issues for more than a year now, across two different computers, and countless different versions of wine, and different configurations.
Last edited by carkasjak on Jan 21, 2017, 12:51:01 PM
"
carkasjak wrote:
"

It is technically playable for a casual player, but I would not be comfortable at all playing hardcore like this, and even on softcore I would severely hurt my grinding efficiency. Basically I will not be satisfied until I can get much closer to native Windows performance than I am at the moment.

I've played around with these settings a lot, but none of them fix my stuttering issues. Right now I'm running wine-staging version 2.0rc5 with CSMT on. This boosts overall performance a bit, but does not fix my stuttering issues.

WINEDEBUG=fixme-all had no noticeable effect for me.

It starts out fine, but after playing for just a short time, it'll start stuttering when fighting monsters, and sometimes gets drastically worse after zoning into an area.

This video shows the stuttering pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ESdTLH9qY

EDIT: I should mention that I've experienced these issues for more than a year now, across two different computers, and countless different versions of wine, and different configurations.

Yeah, that video seems bad, certainly worse than what I am used to seeing.

The WINEDEBUG thing only really helps if you're getting spammed with fixme warnings.

A couple of questions:
First, is that video representative of all game play, or only in areas with burning/chilled/shocking ground? Those, or one of those, seem to tank performance quite heavily.

Second, have you tried with
A) winetricks glsl=disabled,
B) the -gc 100 flag, as in wine PathOfExile.exe -gc 100

We can't currently get to no stuttering, but what you show there seems an extreme case of the bad.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info