[Official] WINE info thread

Played about 4 hours of PoE since the new league started. Here's what I experienced:

- New asset loading hitching (when it loads into NVIDIA's driver cache; after that, it doesn't happen again)

- The flaming dogs that explode and leave fire on the ground in Act 1, if a bunch of them die at once it causes massive framerate drop/hitching

- After about 3 hours, I ran out of system memory (16GB); System Monitor reported PoE using a low amount but when I checked it about an hour before that point, it was up to 2.2GB.

Managed to get through Act 1 entirely without dying; not really a huge accomplishment though. Overall I find PoE mostly playable.

I used the 32-bit client in DX9 mode, in a WinXP prefix, CSMT enabled.

"
ToriVega wrote:
BTW 64-bit client starts now, in DX9 mode obviously. Does anyone know what's the difference between DX9 and DX9Ex in the options?

DX9Ex is an improved DX9 renderer, but as to whether or not that benefits Wine I'm not sure. Also that option only shows if your Wine prefix is set to anything above Windows XP (I usually keep my prefixes at XP since it works).

"
ToriVega wrote:
BTW 64-bit client starts now, in DX9 mode obviously. Does anyone know what's the difference between DX9 and DX9Ex in the options?

Are you sure the 64-bit client is being used? I just tried starting the 64-bit client but System Monitor reports PathOfExile.exe is running, and Memory Map claims it using wine32.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
"
Espionage724 wrote:

"
ToriVega wrote:

Are you sure the 64-bit client is being used? I just tried starting the 64-bit client but System Monitor reports PathOfExile.exe is running, and Memory Map claims it using wine32.

Yeah, same here. Oh well, someday...
Running with the -gc 100 flag for extended periods of time causes eventual crashes, but I tend to forget time while playing and don't remember to restart.

So, I whipped up a quick and dirty script to warn me when its time to restart the game:

"

#!/bin/bash

THRESHOLD=3900000
MEMORY=0

while [[ $MEMORY -lt $THRESHOLD ]]; do
sleep 10
MEMORY=$(ps -C PathOfExile.exe -o vsz=)
echo "Memory used: $MEMORY"
done

mplayer ~/SomeWarningMusic.mp3

I noticed the crashes happen somewhere around 4 to 4.1 GB of memory used, not exactly sure. 3.9 might be too conservative, but I guess it gives me some time to finish whatever I am doing.
Let me know if you find a better way to handle this.

Script explanation:
Every 10 seconds, use the ps command to check the current virtual memory footprint of the PathOfExile executeable, and compare it to threshold. When it reaches the threshold, break the loop and play some mucis with mplayer.
Last edited by slightlyrandom on Dec 4, 2016, 12:50:31 PM
All nice posts folks, keep 'em flowing in!

Anyone having problems in Breach with The Batttlefield missing some textures (causing hard lockups of my computer). Running AMD GPU + mesa 13.1 with gallium nine enabled Wine, Ubuntu blend (Linux Mint 18).
I've tried to turn on Multythreading for testing purpuses and it looked like a game runs a lot smoother with it on. Downside is that there is constant flickering of game textures (they fade to black constantly). Wonder if anything could be done with that, so far experimenting with different settings didn't help.
Apparently Overwatch runs on Wine with DX11 now:

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-Patches-Overwatch-Working

2.5 is generally running good for me. Breaches can be a bit laggy and seems to eat up memory a bit aggressively so the client has be restarted a bit often. Typically the game will start feeling a bit choppy before crashing due to memory issues.

Remember to update your lootfilters. The newest Neversink has been optimized so common drops are at the tops which helps.
Linux Newbie here,

I've read a lot now about disabling GLSL and setting -gc 100 to prevent FPS drops. For about an hour now I tried to actually perform these actions without success.
I run my PoE 64 bit on Wine 2.0 rcl (Staging) with Linux Mint 18.

Can someone please walk me through step by step (for idiots) how to do those things? I'd greatly appreciate that.
"
Grantuu wrote:
Linux Newbie here,

I've read a lot now about disabling GLSL and setting -gc 100 to prevent FPS drops. For about an hour now I tried to actually perform these actions without success.
I run my PoE 64 bit on Wine 2.0 rcl (Staging) with Linux Mint 18.

Can someone please walk me through step by step (for idiots) how to do those things? I'd greatly appreciate that.

Have you tried following this guide: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine

It was posted in this thread but buried somewhere in the middle (someone should possibly add it to OP).

GL
The instructions provided by ToriVega worked fine. Game is running mostly smooth now.
I also maintain a small guide here: https://wiki.realmofespionage.xyz/games:wine:path_of_exile

As for differences; I don't install anything with winetricks (namely vcrun2015, riched20, usp10, and directx9) since none of that doesn't appear to have any sort of benefit (the latter two had no effect at all when I checked months ago; and vcrun2015 I just tested about 5 minutes ago to have no benefit either). I also don't use PlayOnLinux.

My guide mostly assumes you have some understanding of what the commands are doing though. If you don't have a backed-up Content.ggpk, just skip the command that moves it (alternatively, put the ggpk in ~/Downloads/Path of Exile/Content.ggpk if you do want to run it). If you have no plans to use OBS Studio, you don't need the virtual desktop. Anything below quick commands is mostly for debugging and isn't necessary to run PoE normally. After creating the desktop launcher and running the sed command, you may need to reload your DE for the launcher to show (in GNOME, gnome-shell --replace, in Plasma 5, kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental).

To disable GLSL, you could take the winetricks line that switches the prefix to vista, and enter glsl=disabled in-place of vista. For -gc 100, you can toss that in the desktop launcher before or after --noasync, and you can also toss it in the debugging quick-command in the same manner. I personally run with neither since they both appear to do nothing beneficial on my set-up.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
Last edited by Espionage724 on Dec 20, 2016, 7:10:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info