No gender selection?!

"
greatjh1 wrote:
"
Character customization is a major feature for these types of games, especially if it's online.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Spare a minute and try to think where exactly these customization features help us in the game or offer.

Playing female character - that means seeing female on the screen for extended period of time, and controling her - helps me not become a gay! The only reason you might not understand that is because you suffer from telepresence - you are so much into the gameworld that playing character of different gender works against "I project myself into gameworld". If so, don't worry, you won't develop gay habbits! I do not suffer from telepresence at all - at any time, I'm aware I'm male playing the game, living in real world. As such, I'll rather have female in front of my eyes than a male, no matter how ugly / not sexy she might be :o)

That said, I still don't support having oppossite gender of some class just to have it - unless there are ingame differences male vs female of some class, like it's in real world, developers time invested into making other gender is a waste!
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
"
tormenta wrote:
Playing female character - that means seeing female on the screen for extended period of time, and controling her - helps me not become a gay!

First, can we stop with the gay bashing - there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, and the fact is anyone who is gay (not transgender) identifies as male not female so this point makes no sense.

Secondly, I think the game is looking awesome so far - found it and spent the last few hours reading through these forums and the site in general before posting, and actually i'm a bit embarrased that my first post be in a flame thread, but i have a couple of points i wish to make.

The team developing it are doing an AWESOME job from what I can see, and with very limited resources... From what i can see there are probably only 20-50 people total working on the game - something like WoW or D2 will have hundreds, maybe even (low)thousands of people working on it - and yet this game still seems to be able to stack up - +1 to NZ, and GGG in specific.

I think gender locked classes make a lot of sense at this stage, and if GGG were to choose to introduce gender choice i think it would make sense to have the classes change depending on gender, for example if I were to choose to play a male ranger it would make sense maybe to bump the str a few points, and maybe drop a tiny bit off dex, and also maybe lower overall speed but higher overall health etc. Gender changes should make character changes, and if gender options are introduced it would take the same work as making 6 new characters, so they might as well play differently as 6 new characters. This way there can be finesse beyond the initial class choice and gender choice becomes an element of strategy instead of a throwaway "i'm a guy, i'll be male" choice.

Maybe the new characters could even have specific back stories too?

TL;DR?
1. Stop the gay bashing.
2. Big ups to GGG
3. Character gender choice won't happen for a while.
4. If it does, lets have it be a real choice that makes an impact on gameplay.

Thanks again to GGG!! I'm eagerly looking forward to Beta.
Last edited by 3lemental on Jul 22, 2011, 8:52:47 PM
"
3lemental wrote:

and the fact is anyone who is gay (not transgender) identifies as male not female so this point makes no sense.

I agree with you on the gay bashing but assuming people actually identify with the gender isnt correct. I can never identify with a computer game character because ill never ever be in that situation. I dont see that character as anything like me. Male or Female. I dont see that game character as a person.
Players want their characters to look awesome. I want my female character to look sexy since im gonna be looking at it for extended periods of time.

Hey if a gay person wants a male character to look at. Good for him. But im a straight male wanting a female character to play as.

Last edited by p0rt on Jul 22, 2011, 9:25:36 PM
"
p0rt wrote:
"
3lemental wrote:

and the fact is anyone who is gay (not transgender) identifies as male not female so this point makes no sense.

I agree with you on the gay bashing but assuming people actually identify with the gender isnt correct. I can never identify with a computer game character because ill never ever be in that situation. I dont see that character as anything like me. Male or Female. I dont see that game character as a person.
Players want their characters to look awesome. I want my female character to look sexy since im gonna be looking at it for extended periods of time.

Hey if a gay person wants a male character to look at. Good for him. But im a straight male wanting a female character to play as.

Actually, tormenta's post made it seem that gay males are a bit girly/effeminate and that they think of themselves more like women(thats what it sounded like to me), but what 3lemental was saying is that gay males actually identify themselves as males.

Anyway, that was my take on it..forgive me if it didnt make any sense >.> Im just not used to writing out my thoughts out much o:
"...You know the difference between arrogance and confidence?

Confidence can back its shit up." -Charan
I find it really amusing how immature some of you are coming off to be. How the hell can playing a male character make you gay? You must be really really lonely and self-conscious if playing a male character can turn you gay.

Just grow up and stop coming to this stupid excuse that people wanting to play male characters are gay.

I agree with gender selection because i would much rather play a male than a female. That does not make me gay, it just makes me gain a sense of connection with my character and relate more to the immersion of the game.
WOOOOO_NESS_OF_DOOM!!!!!
"
3lemental wrote:

The team developing it are doing an AWESOME job from what I can see, and with very limited resources... From what i can see there are probably only 20-50 people total working on the game - something like WoW or D2 will have hundreds, maybe even (low)thousands of people working on it - and yet this game still seems to be able to stack up - +1 to NZ, and GGG in specific.

3. Character gender choice won't happen for a while.
4. If it does, lets have it be a real choice that makes an impact on gameplay

Yeah their main team is actually only about 15 people I think. Plus some extra people for voice work and a few contracted people overseas who I think they used for some art/animation stuff.

And I actually disagree with the gender split messing with the stats thing. It tends to unbalance the game a bit in the sense that one gender will almost certainly become way more popular than the other due to fitting better with a successful build. I dunno, it could work if done properly but I'm fine with the way things are.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
"
tormenta wrote:

Playing female character - that means seeing female on the screen for extended period of time, and controling her - helps me not become a gay!

LOL, I dreaded this colossal idiocy appearing on this topic, it never fails.

So...when you are taking a shower or masturbate or look at yourself in a mirror you are basically becoming a gay!
Last edited by metamag on Jul 23, 2011, 1:24:09 AM
Guys, seriously, this is the first time I've wanted to lock a thread based on its content just getting out of hand. I really don't think we're learning much useful any more in this thread any more.

Some people want alternate sexes for the characters. Maybe when budget allows, we can investigate this, but for the time being they are going to be the way they're going to be. In the meantime, having pre-chosen sexes allows us to create strong specific backstory for the classes (and their motivations), without having the player merely play a generic role.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:

Some people want alternate sexes for the characters. Maybe when budget allows, we can investigate this

I don't understand why you didn't make a single male ranged class.

Unless there is some subtlety here and you can spec duelist or marauder to be ranged...
Last edited by metamag on Jul 23, 2011, 1:50:40 AM
"
metamag wrote:
"
Chris wrote:

Some people want alternate sexes for the characters. Maybe when budget allows, we can investigate this

I don't understand why you didn't make a single male ranged class.

Unless there is some subtlety here and you can spec duelist or marauder to be ranged...

Also notice how the last class hasn't been announced yet...
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info