Ambush Atziri competition has concluded. Invasion is still going!

I'm not saying it was Mathil's fault, I'm not trying to blame anyone and I'm sorry if I come off that way.

I Suppose I might have ranted a bit in the last post as well.
But it still doesn't seem like a coincidence that one player posts what he used, that worked, for the encounter and not two days later another 30+ people have completed it as well.
Nevermind that though, what's done is done and hopefully GGG will have learned from this experience.

And also, I'd rather have seen that all four bosses in the encounter have random properties each time, making sure people can't really farm them out with one specific build. Think about it, you'd get challenged each time, not to mention that it wouldn't be possible to sell kills.

All unique bosses are boring if you ask me, since you know exactly what you need to defeat them, why is it only the maps and magic/rare mobs that are randomized, wouldn't it be more in line of the game itself if the unique bosses would be randomized too? Surely one could say that they wouldn't be unique anymore, but they would, they'd still have their own name and abilities, and properties isn't what makes them unique, it's dialogue abilities and the whole fact that they are actually named....

You have random properties from a bucket that you mainly randomize on magic monsters and rare's, add another, bigger bucket with stronger properties and also throw in more of them, give these properties only to uniques and see what happens.

Less predictable and more challenging altogether.

(And yes, I know, most players not satisfied with the properties would most likely just get into another instance, but that would also mean that they'd need to play through the area's before the boss, which would be a drag. Which means if you want the boss to be easier, you get a slight punishment having to run through at least one area (most likely two of them though) each time you want to reset the instance.)
I predicted the challenge would be over in two days after mathrils posted his gears + spec.

I was not to far off.

Anyway my problem is not with him, props to him for doing it and really good job. He did it fair and square.(also i admired his build to do it, really well designed, but also completely lucky on that part)

But let's imagine for a moment that atziri had a property

"does not receive elemental damage from aura"

Woopty do, there goes all his effort and he can forget about an attempt. (4days in the league you wont catch up for 50 first)

This did not happen to him, but it did happen to a lot of other players playing builds that utilize core mechanics in the game. Not to mention not one boss prior to atziri had these immunity's.

So basically toss a coin at day four in the challenge, and hope you get the winning toss.
Not really a good sign for future challenge development imo.

And that is all i want to bring to light, to make sure this does not recur in a future challenge design.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
there seem to be a bit of misinformation.

Yes, Mathil's completion and subsequent information helped, but a lot of us were preparing it and learning it on our own (the two videos of standard guys doing atziri endfight gave us more than enough info to know exactly what to expect from Atziri herself), and I didn't complete it until my 3rd attempt (wasted 2 midnights learning how to do the 2nd fight). About 50 completions being done 2 days after? That's quite simple, people were simply at the right level to do it and felt a real urgency to do it after #1 completion is done (I was waiting until I get to lvl90 b4 trying, but rushed to do it at 86 after hearing Mathil did it).

Also, a lot of the 50 did not in fact use anything close to Mathil's build. I completed it as a summoner with a RF, and the strategies there are just vastly different than what Mathil has used. Mathil has actually told us the kill order for the 2nd fight, but we did not follow it as it was not optimal for us. What works for a buzzsaw doesnt work for every build.

Another reason for top 50 to fill? The existence of people "selling" the kill spots. I won't name anyone, but let's just say that I was aware of it happening and found it rather disgusting.
@NoPantsAndOneBearded
^No misinformation Doombearded :).

I am fully aware of all that you noted. I also acknowledge your and the other 50 players attempt and successful kill.

I was even amazed by mathrils build design, very clever that early in a league.

Like i mentioned over and over again.

My only concern is with a new challenge. And hope to see it doesn't have a hidden "No you cant" restriction, that is only revealed after players already wasted 3/4 days on pushing there character.

I was lvl 74 on my char when the anti stun was revealed, needles to say, i leveld him a bit more and then just stopped. All my desire to compete was gone.

GGG wasted a lot of peoples time and effort with this challenge and not revealing the boss counters two core mechanics embedded in the game. Being lucky and being unaffected by these counters isn't what a challenge should be about.

Like i mentioned earlier, if the info was released and then a player creates a stun character THAT is a player error that will most likely cost him a place in the top 50.
Now it was just meh...

i wanted to play a stunchar for like 2 league's but never got to it. This time around i thought, hmm they are good for bosses, let's go with this build i made. Needles to say i was disappointed. And i am quite sure i am not alone.

My mate did an explosive arrow marauder for the first time, and he also got screwed over royally. for the both of us three days of farming and pushing where rendered useless. Not because of lack of skill/mechanics/game knowledge, but simply because of lack of information preceding the creation of our challenge theory-craft.

considering how big a part the theory-craft is in PoE, this was just a plain stupid mistake
of GGG.
Revealing this would have done nothing for the challenge, except save a lot of people three days of wasted efforts.
It would not even have effected the boss-fight, it's mechanics and so fort.

You enter : she has these immunity's, big woop, they wont kill you these immunity's. But they are sort of important when trying to kill her. I don't even care she has them tbh, really i don't. But in a time based challenge this is important information that should be released, unless all future challenges should be considered lotto's when you enter?

I am currently repeating the challenge for myself with a non-stun char. I am at around 35 hours /played and i am 9 levels away from going for her. Now tell me, if i make it in 50% of mathrils time will i have proven this information was important?....
@Therobgoblin

Random properties sound like a great idea to keep boss fights exciting. I would like to see this implemented in the future.

@Boem

I believe you said you were going for a stun build right? One of my guildies is a trapper and was planning to freeze her using freeze mine with ele prolif. While you may feel shafted, you have to admit that it would be pretty silly if people were able to cheese down the fight by permastunning or permafreezing Atziri. This would make it no challenge at all. The only thing that GGG really messed up was allowing RF builds to faceroll the fight and making it possible to sell the fight. But then again, the second fight is actually difficult for RF builds believe it or not.
IGN: ThrobbinRobin
Last edited by Sodomee on Mar 20, 2014, 7:41:51 PM
"
@Boem

I believe you said you were going for a stun build right? One of my guildies is a trapper and was planning to freeze her using freeze mine with ele prolif. While you may feel shafted, you have to admit that it would be pretty silly if people were able to cheese down the fight by permastunning or permafreezing Atziri. This would make it no challenge at all. The only thing that GGG really messed up was allowing RF builds to faceroll the fight and making it possible to sell the fight. But then again, the second fight is actually difficult for RF builds believe it or not.

My problem is not with stun immunity, it is with the lack of info prior to the challenge. If this keeps appearing in every challenge, then i am sorry, but it is just a lotto ticket and hope you don't get screwed by the little "secret info" that has no impact on fight mechanics or boss skills.

A lot of people could have been spared lvling a character that could not compete for the challenge.

i got 2 lvl 75+ chars now, yeay.... and no mtx to show for it, more buzz...

Making the right decisions is what a challenge is about. Not getting a red card for a new invented rule half-way in the match, sort of speak.

Why does everybody keep mentioning my stunchar, when the main relevance is the lack of info prior to the challenge.

Did you suddenly autowin and beat atziri the moment you saw the youtube video showing her immunity's? Was the fight ruined and a cheesefest all of a sudden?...truly i wonder what the logic is behind this.
[Removed by Support]
IGN Ken__Kaniff
Last edited by Bex_GGG on Mar 21, 2014, 3:32:54 PM
[Removed by Support]
IGN Ken__Kaniff
Last edited by Bex_GGG on Mar 21, 2014, 3:32:38 PM
[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Bex_GGG on Mar 21, 2014, 3:34:01 PM
"
Boem wrote:
"
@Boem

My problem is not with stun immunity, it is with the lack of info prior to the challenge. If this keeps appearing in every challenge, then i am sorry, but it is just a lotto ticket and hope you don't get screwed by the little "secret info" that has no impact on fight mechanics or boss skills.

A lot of people could have been spared lvling a character that could not compete for the challenge.

i got 2 lvl 75+ chars now, yeay.... and no mtx to show for it, more buzz...

Making the right decisions is what a challenge is about. Not getting a red card for a new invented rule half-way in the match, sort of speak.

Why does everybody keep mentioning my stunchar, when the main relevance is the lack of info prior to the challenge.

Did you suddenly autowin and beat atziri the moment you saw the youtube video showing her immunity's? Was the fight ruined and a cheesefest all of a sudden?...truly i wonder what the logic is behind this.

Regardless of the fact that GGG did not release info on Atziri's immunities, you can't really complain. You thought the fight was going to really be that simple that you could stop her from doing anything while you beat her down.

[Removed by Support]

-----------

I had a CI Vaal Pact Melee build planned out way ahead of time and they nerfed Vaal Pact without warning making it far less effective vs. Bosses. I didn't QQ about it though because i knew Vaal Pact was completely broken for CI and terrible for life builds. The nerf was needed, just like Atziri's stun and status immunity.
IGN: ThrobbinRobin
Last edited by Stewart_GGG on Mar 21, 2014, 7:10:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info