[Contest] Best concept for a skill idea for Path of Exile gets a key! [Closed]

Skill name: Demon's grasp / Twilight's grasp

Target: auto-self, 5-12y radius

Description:
The player calls the creatures of the shadow for support. After a 3-10 seconds casting delay and a part of your health as sacrifice these creatures set free their power, damaging and/or fearing surrounding enemies. (Player can't move while casting)

3 seconds are base casting time, but the player can cast longer for higher damage/fear effect. The longer the skill button is pressed, the longer the skill will cast and more health will be sacrificed. Health sacrifice should be exponentially. Beginning with very low health costs ending up immense high. n * x ^ n could be a possible term. n is seconds casted and x is a multiplier with mana, so there is a balance that tanky character can't deal more damage than a caster. (more life -> more time casting time but less mana multiplicator; less life -> less casting time but higher mana multiplicator. Single click for 3 secs cast

(range could also depend on casting time, but could be fix, too)

it shall be a very very mighty and lethal spell, cause of the health sacrifice

Visuals:
The player is thrown to ground by dark purple shadowy hands coming from the ground (within the [initial] casting-range) and is tied. Then the bodies appear as same coloured schemes (of some creatures). The creatures begin to fester the player's body draining the health. This could be visualized with blue pulses going through the schemes each second. while casting time the character tries to defend himself and fidgets. when casting time is over the schemes turn into formless shadows rushing onto every enemy within skill-range (really aimed at enemy, not going to 8 directions or something like that). Meanwhile the character stands up again.

Sounds:
As long as the schemes come to the player and festering him (casting time) there should be some creepy whispering and grunting. The character should yell of sore (depending on what the ESRB, PEGI, USK,... allow). as the schemes starting to rush onto the enemies there should be an aggressive roaring and shouting from the schemes. it should all be kinda creepy

Flavour text:
They're coming for you. (half whispered with a quiet laughing at the end)

*picture*:
i think you can imagine quite good how it should look like :)
Last edited by Sintharios on Sep 19, 2011, 11:06:04 AM
My concept art is more so for the Female* Dex/Int class that is to be released. The skill information can easily differ based on male or female character, but for the sake of the original idea I had, I wrote it based around the upcoming class. Hope you like it.

Skill name: Cry of the Undead
Gem Color: Green
Target: Self Buff, 10yrd radius from center of caster. Buff gained only from Undead creatures in range when casted.
Description: Absorbs 1% damage, movement speed and attack speed from each surrounding undead creatures for up to 10 seconds.
Visuals: Changes your physical look into an undead for the duration of the buff.
Sounds: A loud female warriors battle cry. (no not like Xena)
Flavour text: "There is nothing more frightening than a woman scorned"

Skill Icon

Skill Tooltip

Visual Demonstration

Skill Graphic

Thank you for the contest, It was nice to design something for something I enjoy, instead of just for work. I hope you like my suggestion.

Ingame Screen shots taken from :
http://www.pathofexile.com/gallery/#/preview/i104
http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/
Last edited by ravage23 on Sep 19, 2011, 8:59:56 PM
Marauder spell

Skill name: Hysteria
Target: Self & nearby allies
Description: The marauder unleashes a wicked roar that induces him into a rage, letting him deal 50 % more damage for a short duration, but making him more reckless and thus taking 10 % more damage himself. Nearby allies are enthralled by his mighty strength and gain a 5 % damage & 5 % haste buff for the same duration.
Visuals: Marauder roars, leaning backward and stretching arms out. (Reaally tricky to explain, but I think you get the picture.) Affected players will get a pulsing red aura underneath their feet. ( a bit like some barbarian shouts from Diablo 2)
Sounds: The marauder unleashes a roar with a hint of insanity. Imagine mixing a battle shout with a scream. That's the sound you want.
Flavour text: It's time to meet your maker!

Not exactly original, but hey, I like it!
-Generic forum signature here-
Last edited by Stentuff on Sep 19, 2011, 11:14:22 AM
"
Sintharios wrote:

Description:
The player calls the creatures of the shadow for support. After a 3-10 seconds casting delay and a part of your health as sacrifice these creatures set free their power, damaging and/or fearing surrounding enemies. (Player can't move while casting)

3 seconds are base casting time, but the player can cast longer for higher damage/fear effect. The longer the skill button is pressed, the longer the skill will cast and more health will be sacrificed. Health sacrifice should be exponentially. Beginning with very low health costs ending up immense high. n * x ^ n could be a possible term. n is seconds casted and x is a multiplier with mana, so there is a balance that tanky character can't deal more damage than a caster. (more life -> more time casting time but less mana multiplicator; less life -> less casting time but higher mana multiplicator. Single click for 3 secs cast

Visuals:
The player is thrown to ground by dark purple shadowy hands coming from the ground (within the [initial] casting-range) and is tied. Then the bodies appear as same coloured schemes (of some creatures). The creatures begin to fester the player's body draining the health. This could be visualized with blue pulses going through the schemes each second. while casting time the character tries to defend himself and fidgets. when casting time is over the schemes turn into formless shadows rushing onto every enemy within skill-range (really aimed at enemy, not going to 8 directions or something like that). Meanwhile the character stands up again.

Sounds:
As long as the schemes come to the player and festering him (casting time) there should be some creepy whispering and grunting. The character should yell of sore (depending on what the ESRB, PEGI, USK,... allow). as the schemes starting to rush onto the enemies there should be an aggressive roaring and shouting from the schemes. it should all be kinda creepy

Flavour text:

*picture*:

No offense, but how would this ever be entertaining / useful? Channeling for 10 seconds and then sacrificing most of your hp doesnt sound possible in any real situation, and even when possible, not really fun. Or worth it, unless it instagibs the entire map?
"
Degn89 wrote:
"
Sintharios wrote:

Description:

Visuals:

Sounds:

Flavour text:

*picture*:

No offense, but how would this ever be entertaining / useful? Channeling for 10 seconds and then sacrificing most of your hp doesnt sound possible in any real situation, and even when possible, not really fun. Or worth it, unless it instagibs the entire map?

imho it's more entertaining than a jump into enemies or something ^^
i wrote it should be a quite strong spell
but it's up to the player how long he wanna cast
further you can plan your tactics so you use this spell when the enemies are further away walking into the range so you can cast longer
there should be no problem using it

this spell is about how far the player wanna go. thinking carefully about how much health he can lose without getting in any trouble
Skill name: Confuse

Target: Monsters

Description: When cast on any regular monster, tricks him into attacking other monsters for some period of time.

Visuals: Your character casts something like a white whirlwind that hits monster. Small whirlwind indicator above monsters head until the effect fades.

Sounds: When cast you hear a silent wind whistle sound.

Flavour text: Where am I?
Sorry no picture this time :)
"
Sintharios wrote:

imho it's more entertaining than a jump into enemies or something ^^
i wrote it should be a quite strong spell
but it's up to the player how long he wanna cast
further you can plan your tactics so you use this spell when the enemies are further away walking into the range so you can cast longer
there should be no problem using it

this spell is about how far the player wanna go. thinking carefully about how much health he can lose without getting in any trouble

I guess timing could make it work out :P Dunno, i just prefer *CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK* over *Click -------- Click -------* ^^ Short attention span yo.
"
Degn89 wrote:

I guess timing could make it work out :P Dunno, i just prefer *CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK* over *Click -------- Click -------* ^^ Short attention span yo.

i prefer some variety in the spell pool, so you can choose what you like

e.g. you prefer fast used skills :)
Last edited by Sintharios on Sep 19, 2011, 12:08:11 PM
Skill name: Elemental Storm
Target: Enemies

Description:

Each time you use skill that does Lightning or Fire damage. You will gain Elemental orb (stacks up to 5 times, lasts 15 sec).
Every stack increase damage of next Elemental Storm by 10%.
When you release Elemental Storm upon your foes it will do high elemental damage to anyone caught in area of effect (consumes all orbs).

Visuals:

See the picture below :)

Sounds:

Sounds like fire burning and lightning hitting the ground :)

Flavour text:

Nothing over the top, but kinda fits the game perfectly i think.

Image used: http://www.pathofexile.com/gallery/#/preview/i43
Last edited by brutaliz on Sep 19, 2011, 2:29:56 PM

Skill name:Reach of the Depths

Target:enemies
Description:tendrils pull up from below a small pond of water and strangels your enemies, if they die during the duration they rise as a small duration zombie companion that explodes into acid vile on death.

Visuals:A pool of water floods up beneath the feet of your enemies, pulls them down with tendrils, rooting them in place and doing damage over time to them, should they die, then they will sink into the pond and then crawl back out as a bloated zombie. The zombie when killed or expired, then swells and explodes in a green cloud of gas and acid, spraying out over enemies and allies alike, so keep distance!

Sounds:Drowning, Squid like tendrils, a boom for the zombie death animation, acid burning, and if that kind of creature, screams for help.

Flavour text: Arr... They never saw it comin', Tha creature of the deeps... Pulled em down it did.. Poor bastards never stood a chance, but back they came... oh yes, back they came...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info