[2.3] Shakk's Cyclone Build. A story about a man and his fists.

I've just wanted to make it clear when does different damage reductions and increases to physical damage taken are factored in.

1. First the damage conversions take effect ( things like Lightning Coil, Cloak of Flame and Taste of Hate )
2. Then the armour reduction and the flat % reductions ( endurance charges, chaos golem, soul of steel ) kick in
3. The −X Physical Damage taken from Attacks takes effect ( from things like immortal flesh )
4. Now the reduced damage from Fortify and the increased damage from things like Abyssus, shock and vulnerability curse are factored in
5. The "less" multiplier of Arctic Armour is last

So let me give you an example. Let's say that a monster hits you for 1000 physical damage and you have Taste of Hate, 3 endurance charges, fortify, 50% Abyssus( which is the worse possible roll ) and just for this example 7000 armour which reduces 50% of the damage ( to reduce 50% of the damage you need to have 10 times the armour )

1. First Taste of Hate converts 300 of the physical damage to cold damage ( which then is reduced by your resistances which capped is 75%+10% from taste of hate and that means that you'll take 45 cold damage )
2. The remaining 700 physical damage is reduced by your 7000 armour for 50% combined with the 3 endurance charges ( 12% ) for a total of 62% physical damage reduction and that leaves 266 physical damage
4. Fortify reduces the remaining damage by 20% but the Abyssus increases it by 50% so in the end the remaining 266 physical damage is increased by 30% for a total of 346

In the end you'll take 346 physical damage and 42 cold damage out of the initial 1000 physical damage hit. You could readjust the numbers if you have chaos golem, or better rolled Abyssus or more endurance charges, different armour values, soul of steel etc.

Some general tips when it comes to armour reduction:

To prevent one third of damage, you need armour 5 times the damage (e.g. 500 Armour for 100 damage)
To prevent half of damage, you need armour 10 times the damage (e.g. 1000 Armour for 100 damage)
To prevent two thirds of damage, you need armour 20 times the damage (e.g. 2000 Armour for 100 damage)
To prevent three quarters of damage, you need armour 30 times the damage (e.g. 3000 Armour for 100 damage)
To prevent 90% of damage, you need armour 90 times the damage (e.g. 9000 Armour for 100 damage)

Again please do note that armour is factored in AFTER the damage conversions from taste of hate and lightning coil so for example to prevent half of the damage you'll need armour 10 times the remaining physical damage after the conversion.

I hope this clears out some misconceptions about physical damage mitigation.

P.S.
Hmm .... gotta fit this somewhere in my guide...
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Aug 4, 2015, 4:58:25 AM
Yea... what he said.

I'm at level 67 with 31k dps with auras only. How can I further increase this? Does 786% to 991% make it jump somehow to 140k? I don't see how you have such amazing DPS.

Edit:
If you could see how much your dps drops without legacy face breakers that would be a massive help.

Edit 2: Just read that you tried that and got around 61k dps unbuffed. Thanks.
Last edited by Cipherseed on Aug 5, 2015, 1:54:51 AM
"
Cipherseed wrote:
I'm at level 67 with 31k dps with auras only. How can I further increase this? Does 786% to 991% make it jump somehow to 140k? I don't see how you have such amazing DPS.

Edit:
If you could see how much your dps drops without legacy face breakers that would be a massive help.

Edit 2: Just read that you tried that and got around 61k dps unbuffed. Thanks.

With a pair of 778% I got up to 113k DPS when I had 3 Frenzy charges, it's really a combination of running a 6L, 20/20 gems, almost maxed jewelry and running 3 auras.
Is it possible to use vaal orb on enlighten gem at lvl 3 and get lvl 4? And if it is, would it have any value for this build?
"
TykE wrote:
Is it possible to use vaal orb on enlighten gem at lvl 3 and get lvl 4? And if it is, would it have any value for this build?

Yep, thats the dream scenario. Then you only need 10% from the tree to run 3 auras.
Could you show how that tree would look like with 4lvl enlighten on lvl100 Armor tree (3 Auras, No Rampart) ?
"
TykE wrote:
Could you show how that tree would look like with 4lvl enlighten on lvl100 Armor tree (3 Auras, No Rampart) ?

Here, not much changes, just a swap of 2 passives

Hello, well here is my gear atm (YES IM POOR), so the part i need the most right now seems to be the armor, but i wish i could have some of your toughts, since this is my first and only char lv 80+ :) , im doing arround 15-17k dps only atm, with 2 auras.

Where do i go from here?

Thx for the guide, its being very helpful so far.
Last edited by Avazaladore on Aug 6, 2015, 1:44:25 AM
Awesome guide Shakk, I'm a new player to PoE and found this build guide extremely helpful even though I didn't get my hands on Facebreaker until after I entered Cruel. (Too bad I can't get a +800% since I play on Tempest)

I have some questions, I'm going for the 3 auras with rampart tree. I guess Determination and Hatred are the best bet on auras, also Haste when I get my reduced reservation costs. (Getting Meginord's Girdle later on tonight hopefully)

Regards,
Karl

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info