Multiple DoTs and IIR/IIQ gems

"
raics wrote:
"
JoesGetNDown wrote:
Logic says it's the dot that did the killing blow. Any other form of damage, even from multiple sources, follow this logic. Dots must as well.

Except they can't. It's continuous like regen, you lose 200 damage per second from fire trap and 100 damage per second from bleed, they stack for 300 health lost per second and I don't think the game can differentiate which is which.

OFC the game must track each of them individually. Resists apply differently, you can remove one but not the other etc.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
"
holocaustus wrote:
"
raics wrote:
"
JoesGetNDown wrote:
Logic says it's the dot that did the killing blow. Any other form of damage, even from multiple sources, follow this logic. Dots must as well.

Except they can't. It's continuous like regen, you lose 200 damage per second from fire trap and 100 damage per second from bleed, they stack for 300 health lost per second and I don't think the game can differentiate which is which.

OFC the game must track each of them individually. Resists apply differently, you can remove one but not the other etc.

Of course it tracks each effect individually, but I think it just lumps damage together. Just like life regen, it can have many sources, both flat and percentage, and each one gets increased separately, but once they get applied to your health all of them form one number, you got 300 life/s regen and that's it, there are no individual components there anymore.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Feb 18, 2014, 5:06:45 PM
"
holocaustus wrote:
"
raics wrote:
"
JoesGetNDown wrote:

Very this. What if you deal phys bleed, fire from a burn and viper strike chaos damage? All have very, very different damage mitigation types.
"
raics wrote:

Of course it tracks each effect individually, but I think it just lumps damage together. Just like life regen, it can have many sources, both flat and percentage, and each one gets increased separately, but once they get applied to your health all of them form one number, you got 300 life/s regen and that's it, there are no individual components there anymore.

I don't think it does. For example: Life regen + Life leech. Both look to do the same exact thing, because in effect they do, but they are completely different mechanics.
"
JoesGetNDown wrote:
"
raics wrote:

I don't think it does. For example: Life regen + Life leech. Both look to do the same exact thing, because in effect they do, but they are completely different mechanics.

Also, you can have life regen from gear, you can have life regen from spec, you can have life regen from aura. You can have leech. You can have potions.
Of course they are different but the point is this, applied to that example: if you have regen and leech restoring your health at the same time and you regain 1HP, there's no way for the game to know which one of them did it - because they both did.

Anyway, I'm willing to put down one veil of the night versus a crown of thorns from each of you that I'm right. Whaddaya say? :)

"
raics wrote:
Correct. All damage over time is applied together, and that application amy or may not kill the target as a whole, not individual effects. It knows how much damage of each type (fire, chaos, etc) you're taking per second, not where each part of those comes from, and the total damage is applied together, not in sequence.
In the case where something dies to a DoT, since which one is credited with the kill is arbitrary, the first one in the list* that could have killed it** is chosen and that's given the kill.

*The first one in the list will be the one that was applied earliest, and has thus been on the target the longest, except in the case of non-stacking replacing debuffs, such as blood rage, where replacing a debuff with one of the same type keeps it's place in the list - it's swapped out for the same one without anything else in the list moving up.

**This bit means that it ignores any DoT effects on the target that deal damage types to which the target is immune - if a CI character casts Blood Rage (chaos DoT) and then is ignited and dies to that, when checking through the list it will find the blood rage DoT first, but not give it the kill since the character is completely immune to chaos.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Feb 18, 2014, 5:17:51 PM
@Dev I find that mechanic a little funny. How can the game track the damage it takes in real time? For example, elemental resistances can, and do change while dots are on them. How does the game account for this?
Last edited by JoesGetNDown on Feb 18, 2014, 5:24:29 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
raics wrote:
Correct. All damage over time is applied together, and that application amy or may not kill the target as a whole, not individual effects. It knows how much damage of each type (fire, chaos, etc) you're taking per second, not where each part of those comes from, and the total damage is applied together, not in sequence.

OK. Then I'd like to know why this is done that way. Does it save bandwidth or computing power or something?

@raics I vendored my one and only Crown of Thorns today, but if you're on Standard I'll get some other junk unique for you. ;)
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
Weeell, color me impressed.
I thought it was something simple and we got a genuine pecking order here :)

"
JoesGetNDown wrote:
@Dev I find that mechanic a little funny. How can the game track the damage it takes in real time? For example, elemental resistances can, and do change while dots are on them. How does the game account for this?

It changes hitpoint drain amount on the fly, if you are taking 100 damage per second from bleeding and another 100 from burning ground after 75% fire resist is applied, you have a degen of 200 damage per second. If you get cursed with flammability for -50% fire resist you will take 100 from bleed and 300 from fire for a total degen of 400 per second from the point on, until flammability wears off.

"
holocaustus wrote:
@raics I vendored my one and only Crown of Thorns today, but if you're on Standard I'll get some other junk unique for you. ;)

No matter, I just remembered I vendored that veil of night into chance orbs, I was about to offer Heatshiver instead :)

Last edited by raics on Feb 18, 2014, 5:39:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info