One Week Nemesis Race Infographic

Sad part in this story is that judging by their actions, GGG loves when people die in their game, as it is their only way so far to keep the end-game balance alive. People have to die. One way or another. All possible options in the game have to be crap enough so that in the end, you would die, sooner rather than later.

And if not, they still have the dsync option, don't they.

That seems to be the master plan behind the game's balance so far. Everything has to be crap enough so you wouldn't hit 100 any time soon by any chance. And all available options should guarantee you die sooner than later.

And if you find a way around all that, there is always an option for league reset or nerf bat or passive tree rearrangement.

What this game needs imho is more flexible end-game options that wouldn't require the game to be crap enough to keep its balance alive.
In the eyes of the perfect machine, what is life, a mischievous delusion or a purposeful try, and if so, then at what. One can guess. But however you feel, once you look in the eyes of the perfect machine, you can imagine it all as a dance of the light in the hall of illusion.
Last edited by irdunecat on Jan 15, 2014, 12:12:29 PM
"
irdunecat wrote:

As the matter of fact, now hardly anyone even plays hc\nemesis anymore, since most builds suck and dont stand a chance there nowadays.

I exclusively play Nemesis or HC races. And to your other post, yes GGG wants players to die. Death is a mechanic in game that has a purpose, you should NOT be able to just do whatever you want. I've lost a fair amount of 80+ characters and I love it. If you can build characters so that death is no longer a factor, HC and Nemesis become meaningless leagues. This is why there is an experience punishment upon death. This is working as intended and great game design. Personally you can get too much defensive in this game; and they need to make it more difficult; but that is just opinion.

They do need much more, and much better defensive nodes or keystones spread evenly through the passive tree. The fact that you can divide the passive tree in two, and Mind Over Matter, Iron Reflexes, Acrobatics, and Chaos Inoculation are all on the same half; is an example of this error.
"
irdunecat wrote:
Sad part in this story is that judging by their actions, GGG loves when people die in their game, as it is their only way so far to keep the end-game balance alive. People have to die. One way or another. All possible options in the game have to be crap enough so that in the end, you would die, sooner rather than later.

And if not, they still have the dsync option, don't they.

That seems to be the master plan behind the game's balance so far. Everything has to be crap enough so you wouldn't hit 100 any time soon by any chance. And all available options should guarantee you die sooner than later.

And if you find a way around all that, there is always an option for league reset or nerf bat or passive tree rearrangement.

What this game needs imho is more flexible end-game options that wouldn't require the game to be crap enough to keep its balance alive.

You are a jerk... I think you should see a doctor with this idea :D
- Profession?
- Demon hunter.
- But demons don't exist.
- You're welcome.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
nice little infographic thing.

In terms of skews to particular nodes, I would worry about balancing things in the game as a whole based on short events. Imo CI, hybrid ev + ar and full ev with acrobatics are all very strong, but far more gear dependent than taking IR.

IR and Resolute Technique are cheap nodes, if I was starting a new league tomorrow Id make a character with IR and possibly RT because is eases gear dependency, not because they are overpowered nodes. Once I had the gear to make a really op character after a week or two I would go for hybrid ar/ev or a ci build which would be far safer in high maps with ugly mods. I don't think IR and RT need nerfed, because theyre already more often than not a bad choice for a really high end op character, what I think is needed (if anything is really needed at all) is more ways for Evasion to be viable in this kind of environment.

The problem for Ev is that unless you are getting to extreme stages like Willy talked about earlier with high block, high ev, acro etc where you virtually never get hit, you need physical damage reduction. If you could make a node that sets your armour to 0 but alows you to use you're evasion rating to reduce phys damage, a 'roll with the punches' style node, 'glancing blows' as I think Chris called it would be good. I don't think it should be flat reduction on all hits, more of a slope off from the 'miss' to the 'hit' section of your evasion where in between you take hits at reduced levels fading from 0 damage to full damage.

But I think part of evasions problem is that the shadow is crap, thats also another factor that is stopping people going to the right. So is force of habit, so many times I see posts where people still think IR, US and RT are essential melee nodes and theyre really not, thats such a mental hangup from the early days of open beta, and also a symptom of people who have never got over that gear wall where those nodes will save your life on one side of the wall and then actually hinder you in a lot of cases once you are over it. I think one thing that can be done to help defeat this is to use the build of the week format to showcase a variety of builds that don't use these nodes.

the shadow does indeed start out very very weak. its by far the most difficult class (from my experience) to play for new players (at least if youre melee). es/ev is just so fragile. that said, with some decent gear, and the right build (full es if youre a caster, evasion/acrobatics/block/hp for 'melee', and utilize their status-effect tools, like blind, chance to flee, viper strike-the class was designed with these available to them for a reason) the shadow can be incredible. but it takes some finesse. i still feel like for melee theyre meant for a hit and run playstyle, NOT pure melee...when ppl just run in mindlessly and try to melee with them its dangerous, and they die. but if you play in a style thats suitable to the type of armor they have-the functionality of it...es which takes a few moments to pop back up after being hit (without GR/ZO) etc-it can work wonderfully. the other obvious and overstated issue would be desync caused by movement skills...whirling blades can be great (curse on hit + temporal chains) but can also get you into trouble.

i like the 'glancing blows' idea a lot. also, i still think that a way to mitigate corrupted blood, and high crit dmg received (even slightly!) would be great for preventing instagibs in situations where you really shouldnt have to worry...
Last edited by awave on Jan 15, 2014, 1:29:32 PM
"
Therapist1 wrote:

I exclusively play Nemesis or HC races. And to your other post, yes GGG wants players to die. Death is a mechanic in game that has a purpose, you should NOT be able to just do whatever you want.

I played this game year ago and for the last month. Nemesis is dead city compared to hardcore year back. There were good times when ppl were looking for perfect color 5 links. Now you'd be happy to see more than ten different faces in trade chat for most part of the day.

As some other returning players, I can see that the game is dying. And developers seem to do nothing but keep nerfing everything that is anywhere close to viable.

For one, I miss the sparks totems among many many other things that no one even bothers playing these days.

And as a non-addict who takes this game for fun, I'd love to be able to play a build that fits my play style till the end, rather than choose from the very few builds that are still viable somehow on hc\nemesis.

In my personal opinion, from the year ago, the game changed for worse.

No wonder Kripp and many others, including most part of my old friend list, don't play it anymore. It just aint that much fun these days, sadly. IMHO.
In the eyes of the perfect machine, what is life, a mischievous delusion or a purposeful try, and if so, then at what. One can guess. But however you feel, once you look in the eyes of the perfect machine, you can imagine it all as a dance of the light in the hall of illusion.
Last edited by irdunecat on Jan 15, 2014, 1:28:31 PM
"
Therapist1 wrote:
"
irdunecat wrote:

As the matter of fact, now hardly anyone even plays hc\nemesis anymore, since most builds suck and dont stand a chance there nowadays.

I exclusively play Nemesis or HC races. And to your other post, yes GGG wants players to die. Death is a mechanic in game that has a purpose, you should NOT be able to just do whatever you want. I've lost a fair amount of 80+ characters and I love it. If you can build characters so that death is no longer a factor, HC and Nemesis become meaningless leagues. This is why there is an experience punishment upon death. This is working as intended and great game design. Personally you can get too much defensive in this game; and they need to make it more difficult; but that is just opinion.

They do need much more, and much better defensive nodes or keystones spread evenly through the passive tree. The fact that you can divide the passive tree in two, and Mind Over Matter, Iron Reflexes, Acrobatics, and Chaos Inoculation are all on the same half; is an example of this error.

id be curious to see the outcome of having mind over matter branch off from the beginning of the acrobatics tree.
Some guy wrote :" if you have 50% evasion and your opponent strikes ten times, you will evade 5 hits, gauranteed"
Made me laugh so hard.
These smart asses dont know about probability calculus but know exactly what are the flaws of peo LMAO.

You have to remember to chase and catch your dreams, because if you don't, your imagination will live in empty spaces, and that's nowhere land.
"
irdunecat wrote:
Without IR, or any other way to get really high physical damage mitigation for relatively cheap, crit builds will be dead in hardcore once and forever, since they wont stand a chance vs physical reflect, even if you have Lightning Coil and whatnot.

What amuses me most in this thread is how many people jump on the bandwagon claiming everything that is OK - read not as underpowered as the rest of crap in this game - to be OP.

These must be the same people whose crying made GGG nerf most of their game into the ground.

Hmm, there is an idea... regarding reflect. What about adding a new Keystone Passive to the Shadow area that offers a powerful, but inverse mechanic from Iron reflexes? Maybe a keystone that is like "Evasion Rating for all types of reflected damage increased by 30%" so that if you already had a high enough evasion rating, you could conceivably always evade reflect. The node would only be useful, though, if you already were investing in Evasion. Or maybe even "your evasion chance against reflected damage is lucky" -- like diamond flasks, the evasion roll is rolled twice and you take the better of the two rolls. Or maybe not just evasion of reflected damage, but of trap and mine damage?

Or perhaps a keystone like "Chance to evade doubles for the attack following a successful hit that lands." So if i get hit once, on the next hit I have an increased chance to evade. It wouldn't be stackable, just a yes/no: did i get hit? yes = evasion chance doubled for next strike against me; no = evasion rating stays as it is until i am hit. But, again, this keystone only makes sense for characters that are already evasion based; armour and ES characters with low evasion ratings would not benefit much.

Combined with Acrobatics and Phase acrobatics, which grant the chance to Dodge in addition to the chance to Evade, one might conceivably have three-to-four (depending on how the mechanics are tweaked) chances to avoid any and all damage. Those odds make it more acceptable to lose half one's armour and ES and still survive past Cruel Act 3. Also, if it is possible to achieve an exceptional Evasion rating from Dexterity and gear, Evasion characters might even forego Grace in favor of Determination...? maybe, i don't think i get the math with Determination as I have never used it. :P Cuz Evasion s capped at 95% chance to evade, right? I'm probably nearing the limit of my understanding of mechanics here.
Last edited by MackBesmirch on Jan 15, 2014, 3:14:33 PM
Looking at this info I certainly see the problem the devs are referring to regarding Shadows.

However, why aren't Templars mentioned? Seems to me the Templar is the bottom of the totem pole according to these stats. Or at the least, they are tied with Shadow.

"
MackBesmirch wrote:
"
irdunecat wrote:
Without IR, or any other way to get really high physical damage mitigation for relatively cheap, crit builds will be dead in hardcore once and forever, since they wont stand a chance vs physical reflect, even if you have Lightning Coil and whatnot.

Hmm, there is an idea... regarding reflect. What about adding a new Keystone Passive to the Shadow area that offers a powerful, but inverse mechanic from Iron reflexes? Maybe a keystone that is like "Evasion Rating for all types of reflected damage increased by 30%" so that if you already had a high enough evasion rating, you could conceivably always evade reflect. The node would only be useful, though, if you already were investing in Evasion. Or maybe even "your evasion chance against reflected damage is lucky" -- like diamond flasks, the evasion roll is rolled twice and you take the better of the two rolls. Or maybe not just evasion of reflected damage, but of trap and mine damage?

Or perhaps a keystone like "Chance to evade doubles for the attack following a successful hit that lands." So if i get hit once, on the next hit I have an increased chance to evade. It wouldn't be stackable, just a yes/no: did i get hit? yes = evasion chance doubled for next strike against me; no = evasion rating stays as it is until i am hit. But, again, this keystone only makes sense for characters that are already evasion based; armour and ES characters with low evasion ratings would not benefit much.

Combined with Acrobatics and Phase acrobatics, which grant the chance to Dodge in addition to the chance to Evade, one might conceivably have three-to-four (depending on how the mechanics are tweaked) chances to avoid any and all damage. Those odds make it more acceptable to lose half one's armour and ES and still survive past Cruel Act 3. Also, if it is possible to achieve an exceptional Evasion rating from Dexterity and gear, Evasion characters might even forego Grace in favor of Determination...? maybe, i don't think i get the math with Determination as I have never used it. :P Cuz Evasion s capped at 95% chance to evade, right? I'm probably nearing the limit of my understanding of mechanics here.

The thing is, with a crit build, you only need to be hit by reflect once to die if you miscalculate your damage output even by a slight margin. Evasion doesn't counter that, since sooner or later you will get hit. There are 3 ways around that: 1) less damage more attack speed coupled with good leech 2) high reliable damage mitigation 3) incoming\outgoing damage conversion.

A hardcore-viable crit build will most likely have to use all 3 of them in good measure.

Take one thing away, and you will quite likely ruin another branch of builds on hardcore unless there will be a reliable alternative defensive mechanic.
Last edited by irdunecat on Jan 15, 2014, 3:40:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info