Development Manifesto - Desync

"
syrioforel wrote:
"
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
We've gone quite some time without a desync post... why stir the pot?

to "remember" ppl that desync exist?

;)

If you're not a native English speaker, "remember" isn't appropriate here; "remind" would be more appropriate.

If you are a native English speaker, I am the slightest bit disappointed. :D

dafuq lol
I’d rather die on my feet
Than live my life on my knees

WTB ALT ART DEMIS
For me desync isn't a big problem right now because of my deaths is almost always because of my mistakes, because I've didn't done something or forgot to do it. But yeah, some simple work (but not instant of course) on locations (tiles) structures and monsters properties would greatly reduce chance to desync. But instead GGG do fast or insanely fast monsters (like snakes) which desyncs every 2 seconds. I literally saw mob who run to me, disappear at halfway, run again, disappear again, and that continues for as long i stay still. Every experienced player knows that if there is a doorway or tight spot and a mobs near it, he will desync with chance related to amount of mobs (about 20% per mob), and without /oos macro he can die very fast.

So, to be good at this game and be able to progress without frustration, imo you need 4 things:
knowledge, sometimes a very exclusive knowledge if we talking about racing;
obviously experience, the ability to apply your knowledge in-game with maximum efficiency;
play style, the way to play to minimize your chance of being desynced;
the time it takes to you to determine desynced you or not, and react appropriately.

And once you'll learn how to do last two things, you can grow your knowledge and experience more easily than if you constantly die to desync.
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
Every of my friends leaved because of dsync, i am realy thinking about of leaving too...
I think the problem is that GGG isnt able to fix it and that wont change in the feature...
I dont know the reason, only thing i know is that nothing happend.
And i know we are love GGG, but at the end, desync is THE gamekiller.
I am just haunting forums now... I uninstalled a week ago? or so. I just couldn't deal with the frustration of desync/crafting/loot problems anymore. I will probably (most likely) come back since Grim Dawn isn't done yet and there really aren't any other ARPG's inetersting right now.

D3 on console is fun but it is not an ARPG.
Crafting doesn't exist in POE. Gambling does...and the house always wins.

Velocireptile - I LOL'ed. Which made me fart. I wish the office were empty right now :(

Hardlicker - I had to push the dog out of the way so I could get to the sexy quilt.
Just lost another two characters to desync in nemesis league ...

WHY DOES YOUR NETCODE HAVE TO SUCK SO BADLY!?

The game would be unbeatable with a proper netcode.
I'm having such a bad time with desync related issues that I am having to stop playing for now. I probably have a class/build that exacerbates the problems, but, and I keep coming back to this:

No other game I've ever played - be it ARPG (and I've played most) or action MMO, or any other network MP game - has this issue in the same way or to the same extent.

That is the end user experience. Everything else is white noise really. It can be explained why it's happening, and why it's not really the game's fault, or it's only some/many people's setups, or it happens in other games (and coders in my experience often have similar responses in answer to severe technical issues)... That's no doubt all true to a point. But in the end it's only happening this way in this game.

I'm not criticizing GGG. They are a small company doing an amazing thing. But the end result of this is I and many others can't really play. That's not good for GGG or us.
Last edited by t0lkien on Feb 5, 2014, 9:21:30 PM
Seriously no point in beating a long rotten away dead horse. But please do not expect that old post to be valid explanation. I think there is a reason why this post is removed, because it conflicts with reality of other games.

For example there stuff claimed to make PoE special in its game mechanics, hence cause desynch. People meet these mechanics in many online games with either no desynch, or desynch at a much less amount than PoE.

Also it contains *funny* comments like:
"
Chris wrote:
It's worth stressing that in 99% of combat events, everything feels fine

But I think major discontent about desynch is not only the inability to fix it, but the attitude for keeping certain totally trivial game properties that are very well known to make desynch worse. Naming few things that make path prediction much worse to increase desynch:
- all the clutter on the ground like debris etc,
- narrow doorways by design,
- narrow areas,
- obstacles with small details or width,
- extra fast mobs,
- labyrinth type dungeon design

These things could be removed to ease desynch by ALOT, but by choice GGG prefers to keep them. Actually they even designed Act3X content that way with an additional technical problem of its own in the form of weather effects.

I think their priorities are in the worng place. It should be 1st gameplay, then eye-candy.
I remember when you installed a game, the only problem you had was if your graphics card was compatible.
ZeuZLoD suggested something in the game to survive the desync (a gem),

Could anything like that exist and work?

Like a "Survive the desync Flask" that a player would activate when he sees the desync?

--> nobody (player or mobs) could move, deal or take damage, regenerate anything for a duration (like 3 secs), all buff / dubuff would be delayed until the end of that duration,

Or a button or something that would type instantly "/oos" ?
Yeah, I can't play a game that I die repeatedly due to desyncs. It's just not possible. I haven't progressed in experience in quite a while because I'm constantly standing next to massively damaging fire enemies that appear halfway across the room, or failing to get any lifesteal because I'm attacking enemies that are five feet away shooting me and laughing their asses off.

GG, GGG. I appreciate the fun you gave me for a few days, I was able to deal with desync on easier areas, but this isn't cool.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info