Development Manifesto - Desync

"
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
We've gone quite some time without a desync post... why stir the pot?

to "remember" ppl that desync exist?

;)

If you're not a native English speaker, "remember" isn't appropriate here; "remind" would be more appropriate.

If you are a native English speaker, I am the slightest bit disappointed. :D

IGN: SplitEpimorphism
I take your point, but look at it this way: Desync leads to resync but the resync puts you, as Chris says "where you're supposed to be". As Chris describes this downward spiral of desync calculations that lead to you warping across the screen into a pack of 7 monsters, games like Diablo 3 resync you backwards instead of putting you "where you're supposed to be". So in D3 you end up being in what looks like a timeloop. During this time the monster locations are held in place, so while you can take damage while you're time looping (I've died from this before), you never end up with the across the screen teleport deaths that you do in PoE.

Or look at it this way: I have a tanky templar build that requires me to be able to never miss for the sake of killing things quickly or life leeching them. I took the keystone skill that gives me 100% accuracy. I spent my points in life steal and focus on life steal gear. I've constructed a build that revolves around my ability to hit things. Desync invalidates my build by making me miss. This isn't the way you make a game.

To any other developer this level of desync would be considered a fatal flaw in the game and would keep it in beta until it was fixed. This level of desync and the way it's resolved does not exist in any other game of repute. GGG continues to allow it refuses to put the fun and consistency of a solid ARPG experience above their desire to use their existing network code and desync resolution algorithms. Chris comes out, months ago, and creates a manifesto where he tries to explain to us why rubberbanding is good and why their choice to allow desync is actually a noble one. These are not the choices that quality gaming companies make. Say what you want about D3, at least Blizzard follows the most basic of all gaming development laws: fun > *.

"
elwindakos wrote:
"
Shelrabbi wrote:
This is so insulting. It's like Chris thinks we're children who have never played video games before.

First, if rubber banding occurs as a result of a needed correction due to desync, then rubber banding is a part of desync.

Second, he included MOBAs and RTS games, the two games types easiest to sync and that have nothing to do with an action RPG. But you know what else is an action RPG? Every MMO ever made. Can you imagine the hell that would would come from players if 25 man raids with 30 monsters on the screen at once in the middle of a giant raid and a hugely difficult encounter just started jumping all over the place? If MMOs can do it than so can PoE, just like D3 does, just like Warframe does. It's not, as Chris would have us believe, a choice between having no sync issues and being an easily hackable game.

Third, this was originally written some time ago and nothing has changed.

Fourth, the solution already exists in the game. They've given us a /oos command which instantly resyncs you. So all they have to do is send that command automatically every 100ms or so. Except that would cost a ton of money for more bandwidth and server systems (network stuff) to handle the increased traffic/requests.

And lastly, the best game to compare this one to is D3. D3 does have rubber banding, but it sends you back to somewhere safe and it sends you back in time. Rather than just moving you into the middle of 7 monsters, it puts you where you were before the monsters and you came into contact. And it never rubber bands the monsters, so you're never suddenly surrounded. So it's not just a matter of rubber banding us, it's about including logic in the rubber banding programs that keeps us from dying. No one would care about desync if it didn't kill us or stop monsters from being hit.

For all of Chris' insistence that this is just how these things go, there isn't another game that's readily available, let alone one making the money this game is making off micro-transactions, that behaves like PoE does in this respect. So Chris or whoever else, if you're so put upon by mean old technology and it's difficulties, explain to us why every other action RPG and MMO gaming company of any repute has overcome the same problems.

/rant off

NOTE: Sorry if I bumped this up, I'm not trying to start an argument. I got to this link from another site after hearing about the manifesto.

You had me logged through my phone to respond.that means yoy got me angry.
You apparentlt never played any online game.Cause if you had the little 60 ms of those games you can hopefully have vs one of 30
Ms is game defining.ill explain.In that kind of games if you are equally in gear and skills, the one with the less lag will always win
win since its actions registers faster.games also like those you are reffering,lag horribly yet you wouldn't had so much problem cause conviniently putting cast bars to make predictuons better.

Want to compare it with D3?really?in the gane where everything relys on client=cheaters paradice?
The game that where notthing never misses its target?
The game that goes slowpoke to cover its network faultness and whn somethings goes faster(monk)shows its rubberbanding?you sure want poe to become d3?

"
Games using client action prediction like ours run into exactly the same sync issues that we do unless they cheat on certain aspects of the simulation. For example, it's common for Action RPGs to do some combination of the following:

Entities can hit each other from a long distance away
There's no chance to hit - all hits occur for sure
Various speed/collision concessions that make it easy to speedhack and/or walk through monsters with modified clients
Attack animations cannot be interrupted (i.e. what we treat as Stun).

Unfortunately, we don't want to do any of those things! They each individually ruin part of the hardcore experience: by allowing combat/movement cheats, preventing accuracy from existing as a mechanic, prevent stunlock, preventing people getting blocked in, etc

This, in a nutshell, is why I see POE desync'ing so much worse than other arpg's. I can see their point, but the issue for me is that "hardcore" preference over less desync doesn't add to the fun of the game. Sure, it adds to the complexity of stat permutations (accuracy, stun, etc.) But actual gameplay? 0 fun added for me. The increased desync makes it less fun.

I also find it incredibly hypocritical that they insist on accuracy/stuns/etc. at the expense of increased desync because they don't want to ruin the "hardcore experience", and yet they implement the ability to log off/alt+f4 to avoid death and chaining town portals to replenish flasks, while not resetting boss health.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

is there a reason the server forces the client to match what occurs on the server-causing desync, rather than forcing the server to match what happens on the client (which i would assume would cause something like desync on the server rather than the client)... and if the server cant be matched to the client then obv theres some sort of modification etc...ie hacking, etc etc. i dont really understand how it all works other than what i just read...but cant something like this be coded in? would it cause more game crashes? am i just completely naive to think this is even possible?
So basically what the manifest is saying is, they aren't going to fix it. So we have to either make a build that has a less chance of desync (generally melee have more desync), use a 3rd party program to macro a /oos to compensate, and both if you want to play hardcore.
Last edited by ZeuZLoD on Jan 20, 2014, 2:04:15 AM
If we have to live with desync, and it looks like that's the case then my beef is with re-sync. There's no reason why anyone should have to have a macro or have to type /oos in order to "sync" things back up. If desync is here to stay in the manner in which it presents itself, then resync needs to happen much quicker, and needs to be identified by the server/client and auto corrected much better than it currently is.
Last edited by Menacetech on Jan 20, 2014, 2:17:30 AM
They wont fix desync ever in Path of Exile. Maybe in a sequel like PoE 2 when they learned from their mistakes but not in this game. Its too expensive and too much recoding for such a small indie company.

What they could do, is change some boss encounters and redo some map generator properties.

* Redo Brutus / Kole and other bosses that cause desync all the time.

* Less narrow pathways and less small rooms - more space and bigger rooms in indoor dungeons.

* Less unpassable terrain and urns and stuff

* etc...

All these changes would decrease desync and wouldnt cost GGG a fortune to fix.

And at least give us some feedback about WHAT you are doing besides saying that you are "working on it". Cause since release I have seen NOTHING done yet about desync from you GGG.
Is there an achievement for creating a desync post or what?
"Embrace the darkness"
Yeah I'm moving over to soft core. I'm sick of losing more xp than I'm gaining due to constant Desync, all of my deaths now are due to it.

This is a problem has been introduced to the industry by game developers, in PoEs case, because it's a free game I'm guessing it's to protect the economy from dupes made by a tiny fraction of the player base.

Personally, I'd rather have a working game with a ruined economy (I don't trade anyway), than a ruined game with a working economy. I never played D2 online, so I never experienced any of the complaints people had with that. I'm a firm believer that solo players should be in a separate offline mode . It would reduce the load on the servers & maybe give the multiplayers a better experience.
But noooo, game developers would rather cripple their product by basing their it on a unstable foundation that does nothing but frustrate their customers / fans.

Now that my char is in higher levels, and the game moves at a faster pace, my FPS drops down to between 4 & 16 in party games even on the Australian gateway with 35-100ms. The multiplayer part of this game is out of reach, so what's the point of being online?

That's my 2 cents anyway, take it or leave it

Other than that, I love the game
Last edited by Dj_Meltdown on Jan 20, 2014, 3:55:12 AM
They need to add a support gem called "Desync Shield". So that everytime you get desynched you are surrounded by a damage shield for 3 seconds. Could you imagine? People that use cyclone would have a perma shield! Kinda op come to think of it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info