PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Miscellaneous News Roundup

I'm so damn tired of these few PvP trolls vomiting their garbage instantly (refreshing the forums for sure to have first page replies) at every post Chris makes.
Last edited by leto2626 on Nov 18, 2013, 5:46:20 AM
<3
"
Chris wrote:
"
heychiu wrote:
i read exit to character selection and it said read on for more news, i thought there would be a thorough explanation of this or a link in which i can read up on?

It means you can exit to the list of characters without having to log into your account again. It's useful for swapping characters quickly. Especially useful if there's ever a queue to get onto the server.

Could you please make this "exit to character selection" be bindable with a key in options? This is something that the less hardcore of your playerbase (those who don't use macros) would love to have.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
I'm hearing all this noise about OMG PVP HC vs SC it will be unfair...

But the reality is PVP will always be unfair, when we talk cross-region.

I mean, I play PoE regularly with a ping latency of 180 - 300 ms, and sometimes I get lag spikes, with cause some desync, so I think the netcode is actually good, because it let's me play PvE without a lot of desync based on my ping.

Now, let's say I go to PVP, I'll be playing and queueing from my ~200ms connection against someone in North America with 50ms or someone in Australia with 50ms connection...

I will always be at a disadvantage, because unlike the regular PvE mobs with are not that bright and have a netcode to sync against my poor ping, the regular players do not have that.

I can see what will happen just by playing cutthroat, my hits will desync and I will die.

So it will always be an unfair experience when going cross-region, since there is no specific region for where I live (South America), even though I greatly enjoy the game, PvP will never be a great experience.

I was playing exclusively hardcore in closed beta, and in open beta I switched for the Anarchy league because of the desync deaths. I understand that being free-to-play and the costs prohibit GGG from having a gateway near everyone to help with syncing, and I won't bitch about it so much, but I really don't understand this complaining... ...I agree with the post you should have a separate ladder for cross-real PvP, let the ones who want to pit the HC char vs SC chars in a ladder of their own. It's a different game mode, one more for the game, there's no need to cap features of the game, if you don't like the cross-realm PvP don't participate in it. A lot of people dislike racing, so what, do they make petitions to cut racing out of the game? No, they enjoy the rest of the game modes available...

The main thing is this, do not force change down the throat of the game population, but give them choice, heck, make it a test league, one season of cross-realm PvP only on the new 4 month leagues.

Anyways, too much rant from my part, as always PoE is great fun, I throughly enjoy every part of the game, even with the shitty ping because of geographical distances, and I know the difference it makes from playing 50ms ping to 200ms, I think anyone that plays with a low ping should try connecting to a different gateway, playing with a high ping, to appreciate the great netcode GGG has, sure you will desync, and doorways are your greatest enemies, but it is still playable and fun, and is democratic, it allows everyone to play, at least some part of the game.

Great work Chris, keep it up and you will have my support every time.

And try to consider a Brazilian or South American gateway, that would make me and a lot of players on this side of the world really happy!!!

BTW, Amazon has servers down here, and I think they are not that much expensive than North American ones, if you are running in the cloud, it could be a nice investment!

"
sherkhan wrote:
Since Chris did not respond to any non-Aux comments on the previous thread, I'm hoping we get a dev response on PvP issues here.

Two issues:

1. Making PvP a viable end-game feature
2. Cross-League PvP (Aux whining and implications on HC's claim to being hardcore)

---

1. Several veteran PvP-ers have commented extensively on the subreddit post on this topic (http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1obcmt/pvp_feedback/). Still waiting to get GGG comments on it.
Spoiler

Chris is a fairly frequent reddit user (http://www.reddit.com/user/chris_wilson), and has yet to participate on the thread. As of today, we know nothing about GGG's plans for PvP, other than the fact that Aux is against cross-league PvP, and that Chris has agreed to gear the game's design to suit Aux's needs.

I PvPd in SC during the two weeks between Anarchy and Domination. About 10-20 of us played regularly. 10 of them formed a guild. They've already iterated so much that they should lead the tables. While other groups might form as the ladders are introduced, there simply isn't enough of an interested population.

In Domination, the pvp queues are almost always empty. I'd prefer forum time spent by the devs explaining how they plan on making pvp better for everyone rather than holding a conversation with a vocal minority. Several veteran HC players have also indicated that their PvP queues take 20 mins (if at all) to fill up.

---

Hoping for some dev comments on the upcoming PvP system. Would prefer not to go through a CWDT-like iteration. Given the fast pullback on the cross-league issue, it seems to me that the system is in pretty raw-beta form.

---

2. My thoughts
Spoiler
It's clear reading through the comments on the earlier thread that the Hardcore players self-identify as class that plays an utterly defensive playstyle geared to their sandbox, and that they think this playstyle isn't competitive across the game as a whole.

Frankly, I think cross-league PvPing should be allowed, so HC vs SC challenges can be put to the test (DPS vs uber-HP stacking). If Aux & co are concerned about their reputations, the stats can reflect ladders specifically for Nemesis and Domination (and HC/SC) separately, while maintaining an overall ladder and pvp records cross-league.

Aux's comments on gearing are completely baseless. By that logic, anyone who has more should not pvp anyone who has less. Frankly, any HC character that is part of a group of friends and has 20 dead characters before it has a significant gear advantage over any new comer.

Comments on the so-called "Aux petition"

VarthDaver
Spoiler
Chris wrote:
You win, but you'd better play it so that there are enough players to make the tournaments full on all leagues!

I hope this is a joke, but fear it is not. I made a more lengthy post in response to Aux, but missed this one.

To restate as though it matters:

Lets not kid ourselves, the only way its "fair" is if you remove both acquired gear, and character level from the system.

Anything short of this, and you are going into a less fair realm, one player has Koams drop, another doesn't its not fair, but it is the nature of this style game.

WoW (don't hate), once made a Tournament Realm, where you could basically pick any / all of you gear / gems and talents where everyone was on even footing. I cannot remember what happened with it, but this was the closest to fair you could get.

You could do a similar system to this here, but most people are not really interested in "Fair" in pvp, they want to be dominant.

If the leagues are not playing together, it will only fan the flames of SC vs HC. Our current player base and forum / reddit community constantly insults and degrades the SC community. If PvP does not cross realms, I cannot imagine it will end up any better, and SC PvP will be marginalized as a result. This is the MAJORITY of the player base. You couldn't make a move more destructive to PvP then to marginalized the majority of the player-base.

I wish the community was not as hostile, but it is.

The choice to play hardcore means things are more difficult, no doubt. A HC player topping the PvP ladder should be more difficult. Is this fair? No, but fair has almost nothing to do with PvP when you keep your gear and level, don't kid yourself.

Fr0TheGreat
Spoiler
w00t now i can sit in que for pvp for 20 minutes a match instead of actually playing other people from different leagues.

Glad you got your way whiners -.-. Would of much rather actually played other people than not play anyone at all.

Next time please don't listen to the random 10 whiners on the forums to make such a stupid change GGG, if this is the direction you're taking the game catering to every person who whines on the forum then pretty soon koams heart will have a 98% drop rate off normal hillock. But I guess they will just whine that its not 100% if you make that change too.
IGN- FrOTheGreat

Maxor
Spoiler
Completed 1 Challengesherkhan wrote:
"
Completed 1 ChallengeDirati wrote:
This sudden change really saddens me, I have not played Nemesis to be able to complete and level up my Hardcore PVP character that will now not even be able to compete in the tournaments because of the lack of player.

I mean I understand that Standard players will get an edge but bring it on!

I feel like a wasted a month in Hardcore and will have to start everything over in the new league since there is almost no one willing to PVP normally in Hardcore league...

You are not Aux or Kripp, therefore you don't merit a response from Chris.

Also if you ARE Aux and Kripp not only do you get instant responses from Chris you also get the whole game balanced around your play-style.

i am the bitterest of bitter vets lol.
"I shall not slay thee in thy turn but be

Dirati
Spoiler
This sudden change really saddens me, I have not played Nemesis to be able to complete and level up my Hardcore PVP character that will now not even be able to compete in the tournaments because of the lack of player.

I mean I understand that Standard players will get an edge but bring it on!

I feel like a wasted a month in Hardcore and will have to start everything over in the new league since there is almost no one willing to PVP normally in Hardcore league...

Anuhart
Spoiler
Completed 3 ChallengesAux wrote:
Let's take a quick look at the current availability of certain levels of items in the Domination marketplace (thanks to poe.xyz.is) and compare them to those on Nemesis. (I will not be going into the differences of HC and Standard in this post as I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who reads Reddit and sees the vast amount absolutely absurd perfectly rolled items for all slots available there for mirroring and other means.)

Quality of Loot - Best for Sale at Time of Posting
2H Swords DPS
Domination: 553 DPS
Nemesis: 518 DPS

Dagger DPS
Domination: 347 DPS
Nemesis: 263 DPS

You are right, of course.
But I just find it absurd that you are even attempting to set a fair benchmark for PvP in a gear based game, in which one just buys their gear.

The best PvPer, gamer, hand-eye-coordinated, skilful, monster-slaying, boss-killing, player-slaughtering Joe-fantastic in the world isn't going to get a look in against a dedicated shopper or RMTer.

And here we are scrutineering this nonsense on the grounds that one guy can buy better items than the next. That is what makes the PvP a farce to begin with (as tournament), you don't fix that.
Pretend challenging hardcore aRPG. GGGuys, your whole design model prevents the game from being what you say you want it to be. "There was a major shift towards solo play. That's why we reduced the new group monster health bonus slightly in this patch."~CW.GGG. Solo? We couldn't have that.
Last edited by TheAnuhart on November 15, 2013 7:45 AM
So what nerfs you working on this time? For 1.0.2 I mean.
Remember NOT to submit your build for Build of the week or it WILL BE NERFED.

CI Crit dagger - Build of the week season 1, NERFED CI Melee by making it impossible to get vall pact and ghost reaver and still be able to run the necessary auras.

Cast on Damage Taken - Need I say more?

..And plenty others that I dont feel like explaining.. Point is, if you want your build nerfed, submit it.
IGN Ken__Kaniff
i dont think faster customer support is what this free game needs, id dare say half those emails are about things people can solve themselves easily just googling or reading the forums. Even Blizzard is sacking all their support staff and replacing them with selfhelp websites.

Not that i am against job creation, but i too would rather see a oos fix , in stead of faster response times. 2000 emails of 100k unique people playing , that is 2% , half of which probably already are playing again as they figured out their problem.

Its a free game afterall, people dont expect instant responses for those. ANd by the time they have to write a mail you might have already lost them as player due to their bad experience with OOS :/ so OOS > customer service
"
"
geradon wrote:

btw: jinx failed utterly at shipping parcels to europe.

I e-mailed them and thats the answer i got :

"Thanks for your email. Unfortunately due to unforeseen delays the Path of Exile Supporter packs have not yet been delivered. We do not have an exact date of when they will be shipped out as of right now, but an email will be sent out as soon as they are shipped. They should be shipped shortly! We apologize for the inconvenience and we do appreciate your patience! Please let us know if you have any other questions."

That was on October 28th.

Well i live in Switzerland and just got it this morning :)
"
Chris wrote:
"
heychiu wrote:
i read exit to character selection and it said read on for more news, i thought there would be a thorough explanation of this or a link in which i can read up on?

It means you can exit to the list of characters without having to log into your account again. It's useful for swapping characters quickly. Especially useful if there's ever a queue to get onto the server.

FINALLY
>=====,',','
MASTER?! MASTER?! WHERE THE DREAMS THAT I'VE BEEN AFTER!!?
',',',=====<
"
sherkhan wrote:
Since Chris did not respond to any non-Aux comments on the previous thread, I'm hoping we get a dev response on PvP issues here....

It's clear reading through the comments on the earlier thread that the Hardcore players self-identify as class that plays an utterly defensive playstyle geared to their sandbox, and that they think this playstyle isn't competitive across the game as a whole.

Frankly, I think cross-league PvPing should be allowed, so HC vs SC challenges can be put to the test (DPS vs uber-HP stacking). If Aux & co are concerned about their reputations, the stats can reflect ladders specifically for Nemesis and Domination (and HC/SC) separately, while maintaining an overall ladder and pvp records cross-league.

Aux originally played and PvPed on Standard. He's not some jerkoff HC elitist.

It would not be particularly interesting to have HC guys PvP against softcore guys. There wouldn't be some sort of grand contrast since PvP builds in Standard span the gamut from glass cannon to tanky as fuck. That's because people actually make dedicated PvP builds without having to worry too much about PvE. If the HC folks came in with PvE builds, theyd get fucking creamed.

Also, people are saying PvP has all sorts of unfairness so why care about different gear availability across leagues. But why not make things as fair as possible? You don't say "oh well, a couple things will never be fair, so let's just not give a shit about any of it".

In any case, population is a serious concern and I guess if given a stark choice many HC players would probably rather get stomped than not play at all. I'll be doing my best to promote these events in Nemesis and hopefully others do as well. Increasing the overall PvP population in all leagues is the best solution to this issue.

Last edited by aimlessgun on Nov 18, 2013, 8:37:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info