A Beginner's Guide to Racing

GGG The artwork looks amazing on the race rewards!

I play races casually and will be happy to get most of the rewards. Also getting some lottery items is always fun :)
"
SlixSC wrote:
"
Snifnix wrote:
Regardless if people buy them for the precious rmt exalts or not, their only value consists of being legacy and having fancy icons. le heup and axium is halfway decent, but by no means worth the effort.
These rewards could have all been white iron rings with fancy icons and they would hold approximately the same value.

You do realize that the same logic could be applied to any item in the game? None of the items in this game are worth anything unless people value them at a certain price for whatever reason.

Now to argue that one value judgement (utility) is more indicative of something's true value than a different value judgement (prestige of the item and rarity) is just downright silly.

I thought it's and action RPG, hack and slash game, where you kill increasingly tough monsters to get increasingly uber axes/armour/rings/wands, not a payoff with currency that you will hold in your stash or play the Path of Merchants with?

If everything you loot in this game had no real value (DPS, res, +hp, +mana etc), what would be the point of gearing up your char?

Rewards should be 'useful' as in 'I can bash a demon's skull with it', not 'I earned 150 alterations today, I will burn them on gambl... crafting or play Auction House'.
IGN Kinnat (S) / Sihaam (S) / Aedhammair (S) / Ranulfr (S)
☄ 1.0.0 The Butchery of Mages Patch
Last edited by entropus on Nov 14, 2013, 7:02:01 AM
"
Snifnix wrote:
"
SlixSC wrote:
"
Snifnix wrote:
Regardless if people buy them for the precious rmt exalts or not, their only value consists of being legacy and having fancy icons. le heup and axium is halfway decent, but by no means worth the effort.
These rewards could have all been white iron rings with fancy icons and they would hold approximately the same value.

You do realize that the same logic could be applied to any item in the game? None of the items in this game are worth anything unless people value them at a certain price for whatever reason.

Now to argue that one value judgements (utility) is more indicative of something's true value than a different value judgement (prestige of the item and rarity) is just downright silly.

This might come as a shock, but there is actually items in this game that is sold for more than 1-2 chaos and/or is actually used outside leveling from 1-15 or get-me-killed-the-fastest builds.
I know it might be hard to believe considering the unholy amounts of trash items produced. But if you search the Action hou..... poe.xyz.is , some people have managed to find something that is worth more than 5-6 alteration shards.

What? You obviously didn't understand my post.

My point is that no item has an objective value, any perceived value of an item in this game is subjective. There are different subjective approaches by which we can assess the value of an item. We can assess the value of an item by it's utility, prestige, rarity or a combination of all of the above. You are saying that the only viable value judgement that actually gives an item it's true value is utility. I'm saying that's bullshit.

"
entropus wrote:
"
SlixSC wrote:
"
Snifnix wrote:

Now to argue that one value judgement (utility) is more indicative of something's true value than a different value judgement (prestige of the item and rarity) is just downright silly.

I thought it's and action RPG, hack and slash game, where you kill increasingly tough monsters to get increasingly uber axes/armour/rings/wands, not a payoff with currency that you will hold in your stash or play the Path of Merchants with?

If everything you loot in this game had no real value (DPS, res, +hp, +mana etc), what would be the point of gearing up your char?

Rewards should be 'useful' as in 'I can bash a demon's skull with it', not 'I earned 150 alterations today, I will burn them on gambl... crafting or play Auction House'.

Again, what is the objective value of a Koam's Heart?
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Nov 14, 2013, 7:12:57 AM
"
Snifnix wrote:
This might come as a shock, but there is actually items in this game that is sold for more than 1-2 chaos

This might come as shock, but this game is also played by ppls, who value their items in usefulness, not currency.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
It is tough to get the higher race rewards when I am limited to 3-4 races a week due to the schedule.

There is really only one way to fix this...
GGG could open up a race or a few races all day. Players can start whenever and have their own timers. Results post at the end of the day.

This means I could go home, sit down, start a race, finish, eat dinner, then start another. All of this takes place on my own schedule.

I don't know how feasible it is to program, but it would be awesome to do it this way.
"
majesw wrote:
It is tough to get the higher race rewards when I am limited to 3-4 races a week due to the schedule.

GGG could open up a race or a few races all day. Players can start whenever and have their own timers. Results post at the end of the day.

This means I could go home, sit down, start a race, finish, eat dinner, then start another. All of this takes place on my own schedule.

I don't know how feasible it is to program, but it would be awesome to do it this way.

This would actually reduce the load on the servers also I think, spreading it out over time.
"
SlixSC wrote:

Well, obviously I am playing a hack and slash, and you are playing a different game.

Please use http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/downloads/PathOfExileInstaller.msi to download the latest installer for a great action RPG hack and slash game where you kill monsters with powerful weapons.
"
majesw wrote:

Lawl. Such and easy answer to the problem of f...ed up season schedule.
"
entropus wrote:
"
SlixSC wrote:

Well, obviously I am playing a hack and slash, and you are playing a different game.

Please use http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/downloads/PathOfExileInstaller.msi to download the latest installer for a great action RPG hack and slash game where you kill monsters with powerful weapons.

What does that have to do with what I just said? I asked you a very simple question.

Let me give you a very good example of what I mean.

You are effectively saying that the only method by which we should judge an item's value is by assessing it's general utility in comparison to other items. I am saying that's nonsense. Take Barry Bonds 715th Home Run Ball, it was sold on ebay for over 200.000 USD. Now in order for your argument to make any sense at all, you would have to demonstrate that the person who bought this item bought it not because it's a prestigous item or because it's extremely rare, but simply because of it's incredible usefulness.

And we both know that's bullshit, people don't just value items because they are useful, there are other factors at play here, such as prestige or rarity.

It's really that simple.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Nov 14, 2013, 7:26:40 AM
"
SlixSC wrote:

What? You obviously didn't understand my post.

My point is that no item has an objective value, any perceived value of an item in this game is subjective. There are different subjective approaches by which we can assess the value of an item. We can assess the value of an item by it's utility, prestige, rarity or a combination of all of the above. You are saying that the only viable value judgement that actually gives an item it's true value is utility. I'm saying that's bullshit.

I understood just fine.
As I see it there is 2 types of values, there is the actual value as in "this can be used for something" or "if I where an exile stranded in wraeclast with nothing but my undergarments and zombies attacking me, this would make my day a lot better"
Then there is the sentimental value, this exists when people have too much or too little of something, it's the reason why you can find stamps or whiskey worth thousands, sometimes millions. They'll do jack shit in a zombie apocalypse, but in a world where you have millions and only need thousands, it's worth something to someone, if for no other reason, then just because.
I'm saying the race rewards belong to the 2nd, their value lies in being a 1time reward rather than being useful. most of these items have little to no value above what they vendor for if it wasn't because they where marked by this season 5 icon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info