A Beginner's Guide to Racing

"
SpiritThief wrote:
I'm looking forward to getting good at speed runs. But I enjoyed my slow and steady pace on a new class I've never played. Last night in the 90 min I got to lvl 9. Tonight in descent I'm aiming for l0. Can't wait to get my Storm Bow. Even if it does take a few races. A few races is far more interesting then a few more runs.

Only questions I have, are we allowed to delete a old race character and reroll them again for a new race? Or do we need to hang onto them?

You can delete and reroll. I usually hang onto mine at least until I get the points, just in case I need to show GGG the character I raced with.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
I've never raced before. Last weekend was my first and probably last time.

All three times I've started the new characters I died thanks to desync. Sure thing I could have avoided that, but it is a race for Christ's sake and I need to rush it with the diamond flask.

Frankly it is sad and I am loosing faith in GGG. I thought that they listen to the community. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there were not even any statements about improving the desync issue. I guess I'll have to drop the game again for another 6 months until this stuff is fixed.

"
CorranHorn wrote:
IDK man, i've never desynced in town, just battle. I always assumed it was because of their mickey mouse servers. Either way, i deal with it. Game is 15 times better than the pain i feel from desync, i just wish people would shut up about it.

"
sidtherat wrote:
"
CorranHorn wrote:
"fixing" de-sync would likely require millions of dollars of servers. There is a reason this is a free game run by a team of 40 guys. You can't have everything you want friend.

bull..

their netcode is paranoid-strict and it is netcode issue not server capacity/performance

f.. you can even desync in towns so spare us these theories mkay?

on topic - race rewards are just two:

Gifts from Above (ill try to get this one)
Divination Distilate (too much for me, i live in Europe and schedule it seems is not for us)

Auxium is unobtainable by anyone with real life so it is out

all other rewards are more than meh :/ hoped for something new - like pre-5/6Linked items or at least 4Linked crap items but it seems 'same old, same old' is strong with this one

btw queens decree and parendus rewards are just good jokes. Queens decree is the worst of summoner items and is worth more than 11alteration shards and 3alc shards if 6Linked. even my 5Link didnt sell for couple of chaoses.

Last edited by reflecter on Nov 18, 2013, 10:35:21 PM
I am relativly new so sorry for possible stupid questions:
- The race rewards, can they be used in ANY league, also NON-hardcore?
- What challenges can be completed in this season, and do also these give points towards the race season (most likely not)? I am now in act 3 merciless, and in my profile I have still not completed a single challenge...very strange...used all shrines I have seen, killed a bunch of orange/yellow bosses (all I have encountered)
- What on earth is it some people are doing in races, leveling 2 times as fast as others? Lucky drops + rushing later areas with 'high' dps chars/max build to exp faster? And I do not get it they hit areas far far ahead during a 1 hour race.

Funny take on PoE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PClFkVnJfww
Be warned, he is not to be taken seriously. But he does have a point about OP builds; combine a OP build with some handed down items/given Uniques/PLed hero, and it becomes stupidly easy compared to non-OP builds with self leveled hero (which will hit a wall several times, like I have on mine).

"
Jarnhand wrote:
I am relativly new so sorry for possible stupid questions:
- The race rewards, can they be used in ANY league, also NON-hardcore?
- What challenges can be completed in this season, and do also these give points towards the race season (most likely not)? I am now in act 3 merciless, and in my profile I have still not completed a single challenge...very strange...used all shrines I have seen, killed a bunch of orange/yellow bosses (all I have encountered)
- What on earth is it some people are doing in races, leveling 2 times as fast as others? Lucky drops + rushing later areas with 'high' dps chars/max build to exp faster? And I do not get it they hit areas far far ahead during a 1 hour race.

Funny take on PoE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PClFkVnJfww
Be warned, he is not to be taken seriously. But he does have a point about OP builds; combine a OP build with some handed down items/given Uniques/PLed hero, and it becomes stupidly easy compared to non-OP builds with self leveled hero (which will hit a wall several times, like I have on mine).

Rewards get put into remove-only stash tabs accessible from any league that has existed longer than 2 weeks.

To see challenges and progress, use the h key in a league where challenges exist. They do not give points to the race rewards (since challenges and races are two different things).

-Galileo Galilei
nice guide.
IGN:Jedi_Leba_Brate & Urielone (Domination)
After playing League of legends.... The micro in this game is faceroll easy.

If you're having problems playing these types of games (lag and all), maybe you should find some offline single-player stuff to practice at.

I haven't raced yet, but I'm also not ever dying to desync. Yes its bad, but you can play around it just fine and still progress very rapidly through levels. When I die, I can clearly see I made a terrible choice to fight 'that many at once' or 'that high level area when I'm five levels too weak'...etc.

As for the race rewards... This being a free-to-play game, I'm rather impressed that there ARE rewards. It doesn't cost a dime to enter a race after all. Other than that, I can point out that they seem to all be % based, which means they are valuable at ANY level. They LOOK like they would fit a wide range of builds as well. Of course, the % greater rarity on items has me scratching my head since rare-finding can be achieved with more time anyway.

As for RNG, you have either played games like this or you haven't. Either way, once you know what you're getting yourself into, why not try to enjoy the variety that comes from RNG gameplay? It gets a lot of hate it just doesn't deserve. For one thing, its a LOT more complicated than just a 'derp rng, derp'. There's almost always a complex heirarchy of weighted possibilities that dev's will tweak all the time to give players the best possible experience. How do I know? I make games myself(I'm not going to talk about that any further on another game's forum, however).

To those who are bashing the complainers: I know you've probably heard/read this before but, there's nothing wrong with having an opinion. Isn't it better to inform people of new ways to look at things than just outright bash them for being 'whiners' or 'noobs'? I know it gets tiresome to read all those 'whiney'/'scrub' posts all the time, but lets face it; you just read this, and its either going to look whiney or informative, but you probably got through all those other posts to find this, which means you were looking for something good from a fan amongst the chatter, or you TOO are looking for something to complain about.

TLDR: in before someone complains about this too ;P
Man, for a newbie trying to get into racing, it feels somehow... counterintuitive? Or possibly just really hard, not sure. I'm not sure if I'm going about things in entirely the wrong way, or just not doing it well enough, but considering how I end up about 5+ levels behind within the first ten minutes, I'm guessing it's at least some of the former. It's fun, but I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing and very little way to learn how, since trial and error isn't exactly giving me any epiphanies, heh.
I just died at my first race due desync on brutus :(

16 min left so no point starting again. But I have question, will I get any points (for example for reaching xx level) if I die before race ends?
"
Asag wrote:
I just died at my first race due desync on brutus :(

16 min left so no point starting again. But I have question, will I get any points (for example for reaching xx level) if I die before race ends?

Depends on the race. The description for it will tell you if you have to stay alive or not.

-Galileo Galilei
I am just a casual player. I might play 6 hours per week. I like doing the races. I'm not very good, but 6 or 7 races and I get a little bonus. That's pretty cool. Maybe if I get a little better I can get a couple more rewards. It seems odd to get so upset about an alternate play area in a free game though. You enter for free and don't even have to do very well to get something back for free. There's no downside. If you feel it's not worth your time, your not forced to do it. It's completely separate. The rage posts mystify me. You weren't cheated, insulted, ripped off, or treated poorly, so relax.

I do wish the schedule was different though. I live on the east coast of the US and they are the worst for me. I work from 6 am to 6pm. All of the races are from 6am to 6pm. I might get 1 race during the week. Other than that it's weekends only. At least you European guys could choose to skip sleep. I can't choose to skip work. So why not just add more races and have them start every few hours around the clock. Then anyone can catch a race anytime.

In Magic online, they do on demand 8 man drafts. As soon as the event gets 8 people, it begins. Could you do an on demand race? As soon as it gets 100 people it fires and a new one opens for registration. 100 was just a number for the heck of it, but you get the idea.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info