[1.2.0] How to Smash Heads.Guide for a CI Facebreaker Witch with Infernal blow2

I have a big question about Cast when damage taken gem. The first thing i want to know is if this gem works only when a gem is directly link to it i mean if you have a 4l piece of gear and you put cwdt in a corner that means that the socket that does not connect to the gem directly don trigger?

The second question is about leveling or not leveling the gem. Consider that i want to put CWDT+ molten shell + endurying cry + rejuvenation/decoy totem and i have 3,5k ES. Do i have to keep the CWDT at lvl 1 despicing the fact that i need to keep the other gems at low levels and in the case of molten shell gives me very poor protection? Or do i have to level the CWDT some place about 20-25% of my ES points like 800 points?. I think the question is what would it be the right balance betwen trigger times (due to cooldown), armour from molten shell and % of reduce damage from CWDT according to my ES and the fact that im running lvl 77 maps. Whats your opinion on this matter?

The third question is about other gems that are usually used with cwdt. Have you try to use rejuvenation totem with zealot oath instead of decoy totem? And what do you think about warlord mark?

I think this is a pretty cool build and guide but it will be cooler if you had 1 section where you explain the gem configurations of the other 12 sockets of the equipment sonce its pretty clear that you will use reduce mana with auras probably in the shield and the infernal blow whit supports at the chest.

Thanks
Last edited by Ashnat on Feb 17, 2014, 3:46:45 PM
too lazy to answer everything :D ( sucks to be bad at english )

So i'll just post what CwDT combinations i am using..some are high lvl some are low lvl.
Also It dsnt matter where is the gem as long as it is connected.
Spoiler

First set up in Gloves :
Low level to proc as often as possible to constanlty generate Endurance charges.
Secons set up in Abyssus :
Max lvl ( not yet for me ) for Immortal call. ( if i have 3 endurance charges on i get 6sec ! immunity to physical damage )
Third set up in Shield :
That one for fun :D Actually it does give some survivability. Again low lvl to proc more often and that occasional blind does give some minor survivability :)

So the moral is..if you want CwDT to proc more often - leave at low lvl and vice versa.

Hope it helped ;)
Wicked_Clown
Well how warlord marks works for you?
And also, what would you say is the average damage of a monster in lvl 70 maps?
How &% of reduce damage in cwdt affects the equation i mean it is true you reduce the dmage taken by 70%???
And the las tquestion i ahve is, right now i dont know about you but the most extensive damage i got is elemental damage so.. is there a support gem that works with that kind of damage? thanks for the info and i appreacite more opinions regarding my previous post

"
Ashnat wrote:
I have a big question about Cast when damage taken gem. The first thing i want to know is if this gem works only when a gem is directly link to it i mean if you have a 4l piece of gear and you put cwdt in a corner that means that the socket that does not connect to the gem directly don trigger?

The second question is about leveling or not leveling the gem. Consider that i want to put CWDT+ molten shell + endurying cry + rejuvenation/decoy totem and i have 3,5k ES. Do i have to keep the CWDT at lvl 1 despicing the fact that i need to keep the other gems at low levels and in the case of molten shell gives me very poor protection? Or do i have to level the CWDT some place about 20-25% of my ES points like 800 points?. I think the question is what would it be the right balance betwen trigger times (due to cooldown), armour from molten shell and % of reduce damage from CWDT according to my ES and the fact that im running lvl 77 maps. Whats your opinion on this matter?

The third question is about other gems that are usually used with cwdt. Have you try to use rejuvenation totem with zealot oath instead of decoy totem? And what do you think about warlord mark?

I think this is a pretty cool build and guide but it will be cooler if you had 1 section where you explain the gem configurations of the other 12 sockets of the equipment sonce its pretty clear that you will use reduce mana with auras probably in the shield and the infernal blow whit supports at the chest.

Thanks

If no one minds, I'll have a go at some explanations about those gems.

First of all, the position of the gems doesn't really matter. As long as you can make a link between the CwDT gem and the one you want to trigger, it doesn't matter how many sockets it has to go through. So with a 4L piece of gear, any socket can carry the CwDT and any socket can carry any gem you want triggered.

The ideal for CwDT is to have it trigger often, but trigger high-level spells. Sadly, that's not possible, because as you level it so that it can trigger high-level spells, it triggers less often. So a common thing to do is what Korgoth has done, which is to have two CwDT setups, one for high level and one for low. Mine (modeled on his) are linked below.

Spoiler

There are two kinds of gems you use with CwDT: the kind where level matters, and the kind where level doesn't matter. The gems in my Abyssus are for the first kind and the gems in my Facebreaker for the second.

My Abyssus has my high-level setup. This is where I want my Molten Shell and my Decoy Totem, because those two skills are very level-dependent (i.e., they're horrible at low level).

My Facebreaker has my low-level setup, which is built around Enduring Cry, which is leveled up only as far as it can go while still being able to be triggered by a level 1 CwDT (so, level 5, since a level 5 Enduring Cry requires that you be level 31 to use it, and a level 1 CwDT can support gems of up to level 31). Endurance charges are no more effective at high level than at low...they're always 4% damage resistance...so putting this into a low-level setup that triggers often is ideal.

Korgoth has also suggested putting a curse in both setups, one high level that's more effective and one low level that triggers more often. I've found this very useful. The lower level one is supported by an Increased Area of Effect gem to help make it closer to the high-level version (though it's still not quite as good). Since IAoE is a support gem and not a skill gem, and so isn't triggered by itself, you can raise it to max level even on a level 1 CwDT setup.

As far as what gems to use with CwDT, I like the setup as listed. What you want out of these setups is to take less damage. Every skill triggered by the CwDT contributes to that. From your suggestions, Warlord's Mark doesn't really help because we already have so much life leech that more is just overkill. Also, Rejuvenation Totem wouldn't work even with Zealot's Oath, because our Vaal Pact says that life regeneration has no effect (leeching has an effect, but regeneration does not). That includes the regen from Rejuvenation Totem.

For the rest of our sockets...well, there isn't much left. You talked about using the chest for Infernal Blow and the shield for our auras, so you're already clear on that. Here are mine just for illustrative purposes, but I doubt you'll find anything unexpected here.

Spoiler

We still have to account for our Blood Rage, which is a vital gem, but after that we have three sockets that we can kind of just use for what we want. Here's what I went with.

Spoiler

I have always been a fan of a very fast Lightning Warp, so I use it for extra mobility here. That's my choice. I read a few pages back that Korgoth doesn't care for LW, so he probably uses it for something else (in fact, his boots on the first page of this thread have only a Portal gem in them).

And since we don't use a weapon, that's all there is.
Last edited by Barandis on Feb 17, 2014, 6:05:39 PM
@Ashnat
Ok i'll try to answer.

No matter where the gem is in the item as long as all sockets are linked ALL skills there will be affected by CWDT

You want some of the skills to be linked to max level cast when damage taken ( molten shell, totems, etc. ) otherwise they are completely worthless. Note that the damage is added up and it doesn't matter if you take 2000 damage in one hit or take 5 hits 400 each. In the end the gem will trigger when the threshold is reached. It might seem alot but you leech constantly so it's not really taht bbig of a deal.. you won't reallyy wait until you are left to low life before the gem triggers.

I don't like the rejuvination totem because - in order to work you need to waste one passive point for the Zealots Oath; because it actualy mitigates less damage compared to the Decoy totem; because low amount of regeneration are unnoticable; and vaal pact prevent regen ^^

4. Well mate i've explained how to use 18(!) of your sockets in the Active Skills section.. then further explained each and every one of them in a separate section.. so i don't really see what else could i do to explain the gem setup better :D

5. And about the warlrod's Mark. Well.. it's not that bad of an option.. but you really don't need the life/mana leech or the endurance charges.. so it's kind of pointless to use it since you have these things covered by other means

"
Ashnat wrote:

And the las tquestion i ahve is, right now i dont know about you but the most extensive damage i got is elemental damage so.. is there a support gem that works with that kind of damage?

i didn't quite get that... do you want a gem to increase your elemental damage or to defend you from the elemental damage that you take?

@DjPapaz
Mate you don't need the FIrestorm + blind + CWDT
Unwavering stance makes the blind unusable.

P.S.
Thanks for the awesome explanation Barandis
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Feb 17, 2014, 6:10:31 PM
I want to defend myself from elemental damage...so i was wondering if there is a gem config with CwDT that defends me from elemental damage or even projectiles. I could summon some evangelist though.
One more question... whats with the % of less damage that drops when leveling the gem. Isnt that a bad thing when you try to max Cast when damage taken?
Are you sure its not better to have lets say a low level CwDT to trigger the effect more often?

And this is my last question, about culling and item rarity and that. I saw that some guys link in other piece of the gear that is not the chest an item rarity gem with lets say another melee splash gem or infernal blow, does this work? i mean when you trigger the skill from the chest. And also did you try item rarity with culling strike in this build?

Sorry for all this questions, im new at the game thanks for the answer.
Last edited by Ashnat on Feb 17, 2014, 8:34:08 PM
"
Ashnat wrote:
I want to defend myself from elemental damage...so i was wondering if there is a gem config with CwDT that defends me from elemental damage or even projectiles. I could summon some evangelist though.
One more question... whats with the % of less damage that drops when leveling the gem. Isnt that a bad thing when you try to max Cast when damage taken?
Are you sure its not better to have lets say a low level CwDT to trigger the effect more often?

And this is my last question, about culling and item rarity and that. I saw that some guys link in other piece of the gear that is not the chest an item rarity gem with lets say another melee splash gem or infernal blow, does this work? i mean when you trigger the skill from the chest. And also did you try item rarity with culling strike in this build?

Sorry for all this questions, im new at the game thanks for the answer.

No worries on the questions! I was new to this build like two weeks ago, so take that into account, but I'll do what I can.

Your defense against elemental damage is to max your resists. Get fire, lightning, and cold to 75% and you really don't have to worry much about elemental damage, in conjunction with your leeching. In fact Korgoth's tree will get you to 77% in each, and if you use an Aegis Aurora (probably a longer term plan if you're new, because it's pretty expensive) you get to 82% vs. cold. That's really going to be enough in almost every case.

Projectiles will be very well handled by your shield, again getting shield block to 75%.

Besides, there really isn't anything to trigger with CwDT to help on these. Resists (and extra armor) are normally handled by auras. If you find yourself in really bad shape on resists you could potentially change out Hatred for a Purity aura, but you're probably not going to need it and it'll hurt your DPS.

The % on CwDT refers to using it to trigger damaging skills. For instance, if you tied it to a Fireball, that Fireball would do less damage when it was triggered. This isn't an issue here since we're not using CwDT to trigger damaging skills, and in fact almost all of the time it's only used to trigger defensive or utility skills.

The problem with a low-level CwDT is that it can't support a high-level gem. For instance, if you tied a Molten Shell to a level 1 CwDT, you couldn't level the Molten Shell past level 4. A level 4 Molten Shell only adds 181 armor, while a level 20 Molten Shell adds 1058. As you can see, it's a big difference. It's a trade-off with CwDT, since depending on the skill having it trigger often might mean having it trigger something useless. Molten Shell is useless at low level, but Enduring Cry (for example) is not. That's why the setup I use links Molten Shell to a high-level CwDT while linking Enduring Cry to a low-level CwDT.

Aaand...culling and Item Rarity. That's actually a really good question. I use my three extra sockets for a mobility package around Lightning Warp, but it's completely reasonable to do something like Bear Trap/Culling Strike/Item Rarity in those sockets instead. The idea is to use it only on rares and uniques, using IB to get them down under 10% and then throwing a Bear Trap at them. The Culling Strike on the Bear Trap will kill the monster, which activates Item Rarity to give you some better loot. If you have the free sockets, this is never a bad idea, and I've used it myself on my EK scion.

Notice that in this scenario, you do not kill the monster with IB or anything else in your chest. You use IB to work it down under 10%, and then you let the Bear Trap land the killing blow. (Note: I'm citing Bear Trap because I've used it on another character...there may be better skills to use on this character. I haven't looked into it.)

You can link Item Rarity to IB as well, but note that every gem that we have linked to IB in the regular setup multiplies damage done. Losing one of them for a gem that does no damage will cause a pretty big loss of DPS. (Of course, with good gear we do strong enough DPS that you might decide to do it anyway.)

"
KorgothBG wrote:
Yes, the Rathpith Globe is pretty much a must have vs some Map Bosses ( explained in the "Boss Fights" section )

I just did Temple with double unique, 28% more monster damage, and 30% extra damage/25% extra speed from the boss(es). I'm fairly certain that life would have been very hard without Rathpith Globe.
Last edited by Barandis on Feb 17, 2014, 10:27:16 PM

I have three unused slots so i wanted to have any spell linked there to have more action on screen :D

About Curse..probably yes..enfeeble / temporal are superior to Warlord's.. but i dont like those 2..mobs just die in few hits ( maybe better for bosses ). So i choose warlord's to have maxed endu charges and full immortal call when it's triggered ;)

Again..it's just a personal preference ;) Since this build is so strong..such minor changes dsn't make any significant difference ;)

Wicked_Clown
Last edited by DjPapaz on Feb 18, 2014, 3:55:12 AM
Well after such detailed posts ... there is nothing more to add :D

P.S.
I want to announce my new guide
"How to know which item is Valuable. Detailed item guide."
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/797699

I hope you find it helpful :)
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
It's a pity I managed to get my Aegis Aurora before trying out this build since I'm actually being crushed by Facebreaker + Melee Splash + IB combo DESYNC.

This is by far the worst combination regarding that aspect I've tried.

Nice build, I hope to play it anytime soon ( yes, I keep dreaming ).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info