Respeccing

I know that GGG are pretty adamant about where they want to go with the limited respeccing system, and although I personally disagree with it, this post is not about changing it.

Are there any plans to have a "safety net" for situations where the players are not at fault for the situation with their spec? Just browsing through the first two pages on this forum, there are already a bunch of threads that seems to fall into two categories.

1: Unclear game descriptions
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/56999
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/57127
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/57265
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/57277

Game texts and descriptions will never be 100% clear, and there will be a bunch of misunderstandings. If people base their planned builds on how they believe a skill works, only to find out that it doesnt, will it just be "suck it up, and find some orbs of regret"?

2: Changes to the game (both mechanics and items)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/56308
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/57420

The game will change. If the main skill or item that you have based your build around gets changed, will it just be "suck it up, and find some orbs of regret?"

These situations are happening now already with people who are dedicated gamers and testers and who research before playing. Once the game goes public, it will be flooded with people who dont, and the above mentioned situations will be all over the forums.

Has anything been mentioned about this from GGG?
I think the respec points you get from quests are plenty to fix small errors.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
"
dust7 wrote:

And what if people dont think it is? Or what if the misunderstanding from the item/skill description requires you to make bigger changes in order to feel happy about your character again? (because that is what we need to make sure players feel, right?)

The game allows for a huge degree of flexibility, but also encourages you to focus on key skills/items and base your build around them, and if said skills/items change or dont work the way you thought, what should a player do? Grind orbs of regret with a character that you dont enjoy playing?
"
CiceroSUN wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:

And what if people dont think it is? Or what if the misunderstanding from the item/skill description requires you to make bigger changes in order to feel happy about your character again?

Then it's either OoR or starting over. Not a big deal imho and worked mighty fine in D2 for years. Also, you can always ask on the forum whether something works if you are unsure about it.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
I think the devs are right in their decision to not cater to this possible lowest-common-denominator. Sometimes it's nice to find a game that actually demands you experiment, learn, fail, improve, repeat. There are plenty of games out there that don't, or at least not in the same way PoE does.

Remember: they are touting it as a hardcore ARPG. There are certain standards to which it must adhere to earn and deserve that title.

The devs will likely remain silent on this issue because in this case, the answer is plain as day in their work.

That said, I agree the game needs a LOT more clarity. As do the devs. It's an ongoing mission.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
dust7 wrote:

Then it's either OoR or starting over. Not a big deal imho and worked mighty fine in D2 for years. Also, you can always ask on the forum whether something works if you are unsure about it.

That is quite some years ago and, like everything, games and people's expectations of games change. I know PoE is sort of a retro style game, going back to "the old ways". I just fear that they are going to burn their fingers on this particular issue.

I can ask in the forums, but the issue isnt me. The issue will be the number of players who dont. Even in more hardcore games, most communities only have 10-15% of their playerbase visiting their forums. You cant rely on people researching on the forums, and if the ingame information is also unclear, then you are going to have issues with the playerbase.
"
Charan wrote:
Sometimes it's nice to find a game that actually demands you experiment, learn, fail, improve, repeat.

I completely agree with you. But your sentence needs a "and discard all progress you have had over 2+ weeks (creating a new character), or spend 1+ week grinding for OoR while playing a character that isnt the way you want it to be" somewhere in there.
The principle is the right direction. The amount of time they expect players to "pay" in order to fail, learn, improve, is in my opinion too high, even for a game like this.

"
Charan wrote:
Remember: they are touting it as a hardcore ARPG. There are certain standards to which it must adhere to earn and deserve that title.

I dont buy that. :)
If there is anything that came out of this thread http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/57147/highlight/ its that the definition of "hardcore" is extremely blurry and subjective.

"
Charan wrote:

That said, I agree the game needs a LOT more clarity. As do the devs. It's an ongoing mission.

It's a sisyphean mission that can never be resolved. Hence some sort of safety net should be in place. I dont feel that the current safety net (OoR) will fullfil that role adequately.
"
The principle is the right direction. The amount of time they expect players to "pay" in order to fail, learn, improve, is in my opinion too high, even for a game like this

I disagree completely. It takes a couple hours to blow throw normal mode at most, so the entire reroll a character if your really bad off is not that big of a deal, and if your not totally screwed, than whats the big deal of a few respec points?

I think the respec system in place right now is fine.

Cheers.
GGG - Why you no?
We just need to know more about the consequences of our actions.

I'd love to see a full passive stats + gear numbers like the offline skill tree.

And an option to confirm a passive point investment would be great too.
"
WillC wrote:
"
The principle is the right direction. The amount of time they expect players to "pay" in order to fail, learn, improve, is in my opinion too high, even for a game like this

I disagree completely. It takes a couple hours to blow throw normal mode at most, so the entire reroll a character if your really bad off is not that big of a deal, and if your not totally screwed, than whats the big deal of a few respec points?

I think the respec system in place right now is fine.

Cheers.

And if the build requires you to be level 50+ before coming into fruition or being complete? Or requires you to collect specific items. Like for some of the threads that I linked to.
How does it help a player that it takes a couple of hours to reroll and blow through normal, if it doesnt take him even remotely near the character development level, that he just spent 2+ weeks to reach?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info