Respeccing

"
We just need to know more about the consequences of our actions.

Even the simplest games in the world have rules that are misunderstood by even experienced players. PoE is not a simple game by far (and it shouldnt be). Its just not possible to reach a level of information transparency that eliminates misunderstandings.

"

And an option to confirm a passive point investment would be great too.

That would be great too, I agree. I see it as more of a UI issue than a gameplay issue though :)
Damn blizzard and their moneygrabbing ways have completely brainwashed the new generation of gamers, so sad...

Get this through your head:

Rerolling a character is a thing in this game. You don't respec your ground slam marauder into a dual wield swordsman, you roll a new one. You don't respec your cold crit witch into a pure summoner, you roll a new one. If your build is hopelessly screwed, you roll a new one.

This is what the whole system is designed for. The 16 points you get from quests and regret orbs are there to let you make small adjustments like fine tuning the balance between life and damage nodes. Having respec is a "cherry-on-top" feature, the game would be perfectly fine if there was no respec of any kind, but the devs are kind enough to include it anyway.

And who cares if you lose your so called "two week progress", games like this are made to keep players hooked for months even years. Two weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things. And for the record it takes way less than 2 weeks to realize your build doesn't perform, more like 3-4 days.
Just a though - I remember that we might get custom leagues at some point and that might be a solution if it's possible to adjust exp rate. In my opinion that would be a great way to test out some builds and would not impact other players. Considering it's purely convenience feature to test out something I see no problem throwing down some money for it with a group of friends. Well that's assuming pricing is reasonable.
"
And if the build requires you to be level 50+ before coming into fruition or being complete? Or requires you to collect specific items. Like for some of the threads that I linked to.
How does it help a player that it takes a couple of hours to reroll and blow through normal, if it doesnt take him even remotely near the character development level, that he just spent 2+ weeks to reach?

TBH if you have a build that you cant begin to toy with until level 50+, than chances are , its not your build. Your probably viewing someone elses and wanting to try it out. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.

I still say no need for anything more than what GGG has in place atm.
GGG - Why you no?
This is the one game I keep coming back to. Why? Every time I think of a build, I sit down, I do a little of research and start the journey. If the build works out, great. If it doesnt work out, then I scrap it (if the build is that bad). Being able to completely respect would just kill the journey. In good builds and bad builds, I've had fun along the way. It's all about the theory crafting, exploration, and journey. Too many people want a quick fix in this day and age.
Running isn't freedom. You should know that.
ighnaz - Thanks for the beta key!!!!
I HAVE NO MORE BETA KEYS!!
"
drakar8888 wrote:
Damn blizzard and their moneygrabbing ways have completely brainwashed the new generation of gamers, so sad...

Get this through your head:

No need to be patronizing just because you dont agree with me. On a sidenote I am not "the new generation of gamers", in fact I am sure that I am from your generation of gamers, if not an earlier one. Blizzard isnt the most important factor in regards to this issue. The FreeToPlay genre is, but I'll get back to that.

"
drakar8888 wrote:

Rerolling a character is a thing in this game. You don't respec your ground slam marauder into a dual wield swordsman, you roll a new one. You don't respec your cold crit witch into a pure summoner, you roll a new one. If your build is hopelessly screwed, you roll a new one.

This is what the whole system is designed for. The 16 points you get from quests and regret orbs are there to let you make small adjustments like fine tuning the balance between life and damage nodes. Having respec is a "cherry-on-top" feature, the game would be perfectly fine if there was no respec of any kind, but the devs are kind enough to include it anyway.

I know how the system is designed. I know what the developers intended with it. It's even explained on the passive skill tree page. But I believe that this choice is detrimental to the success (not necessarily the quality) of the game, which is why I bring it up here, in the beta forum. If you know of a more appropriate place, please let me know.

"
drakar8888 wrote:

And who cares if you lose your so called "two week progress", games like this are made to keep players hooked for months even years. Two weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things. And for the record it takes way less than 2 weeks to realize your build doesn't perform, more like 3-4 days.

That might be the case for full purchase games like all other in the ARPG genre have been before this. But GGG have decided to make this a FTP game, which means that there are certain aspects of the game that have to be considered.

Most FTP games only have around a 10% conversion rate (percentage of paying customers) and even the most exceptional games have a hard time getting a paying customer to pay more than 10 $ (around 20% of what a full purchase game costs. So if you would normally need to sell 50.000 units to break even with a full game, you would need roughly 2.500.000 FTP players to reach the same amount (over the lifetime of the game).

On top of that, GGG is (as far as I know) planning to only sell cosmetics and not the more traditional goods in FTP games (boosters or convenience items), which will probably put their conversion rate down to 5% and therefore double their needed playerbase to 5.000.000.

My point with all of this is, that even though people here on the beta forums agree with the current level of demands on for instance player time invested, GGG will have a hard time finding 5.000.000 extra players that share that point of view.

Before you all try to lynch me and scream "My god!! you are trying to destroy PoE with your vicious talk about financial considerations and KPI's!!" then realise that those considerations are some of the most important ones to make this a succesful game (I am not talking about making whether it is a quality game or not, since I believe it already is).
I like to think that GGG started out making this game with no attachment to money. See , thats part of the problem nowadays , is before games even hit the drawing board , the finances are the priority.

We have seen way to many frachise greats destroyed as a result of this mentality. I really hope GGG stays true to their roots, and doesnt ever turn this into a "we need more profit" game.

Cheers.
GGG - Why you no?
Last edited by JoannaDark on Nov 26, 2012, 5:21:39 PM
I've been thinking lately that it would be cool to have an editing system in the passive tree. There would be a button on the passive screen to go into editing mode. You would than have two numbers for you one would be the passive refund points which adds the points you have from quests and that characters inventory(so you can leave a portion in your stash). The other number would be points you have to spend. If you click on passives you have it would remove it, use a refund, turn the node a color to indicate what you had and add a point to your passive points to spend. If you break the path to passives by clicking on one closer to the start every passive that wasn't connected would turn red to indicate that they need to be "powered". Nothing in this mode would be permanent until you finalize it and exit the editor. This way you could refund and remodel your tree as many times as you would like without spending points. You could also replace nodes in the beginning of the tree. If you don'y like your first four choices you would be able to pick a different path as long as you connect the rest of your tree somehow with other nodes.
It's good the way it is
"
WillC wrote:
See , thats part of the problem nowadays , is before games even hit the drawing board , the finances are the priority.

I agree, but its not a problem with the gaming industry as such. Its the same for any industry.

"
WillC wrote:

I really hope GGG stays true to their roots, and doesnt ever turn this into a "we need more profit" game.

I dont get the feeling that they are particularly greedy, and yes they seem very determined to follow through with their ideas, but any producer of any product should at the very least be thinking "we need to break even".
Otherwise they wont be around for long, and there will be no PoE for us at all :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info