Respeccing

"
WillC wrote:
"
And if the build requires you to be level 50+ before coming into fruition or being complete? Or requires you to collect specific items. Like for some of the threads that I linked to.
How does it help a player that it takes a couple of hours to reroll and blow through normal, if it doesnt take him even remotely near the character development level, that he just spent 2+ weeks to reach?

TBH if you have a build that you cant begin to toy with until level 50+, than chances are , its not your build. Your probably viewing someone elses and wanting to try it out. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles

I still say no need for anything more than what GGG has in place atm.

This is not true at all. All the tools to plan a build out are available, and its not hard to pick mechanics that don't work without enough investment. Crit is a common one, but there are many others.

I am against repeccing at will.
This game demands that you learn about it to do well. Making big mistakes that messes up your tree really falls on the player and not the Devs/POE. IMO the respec system is generous enough.

Edit: I appreciate the OP's concern for the game to do well but I don't agree that making this kind of change would really help the game in the long run. I also don't think its necessarily something that most players would want or would make them like the game more.

Facebreaker and Quillrain are both still viable so I don't see those links as proving your case. I'm giving GGG the benefit of the doubt that they won't be nerf happy in open beta and as a result there won't be people crying that their build has been broken in the forums.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Nov 26, 2012, 8:30:01 PM
I disagree with the OP, with one caveat. Any time there are large changes to the passive skill tree, we should expect (and have received without fail) a full respec during that patch.

After CB these full respecs should be incredibly uncommon but I'm very sure they'll exist. In fact, since a change could include a node removal or path change, it has to be done like this otherwise people could get their tree into an invalid state.
There already is a full re-spec option.

Yes you'll have to grind for it, but it is there. Personally I find the 16 points you can easily earn on your journey more than adequate. However you can also farm regret orbs, not to mention purchase from the vendor in act two. Seriously though I struggle to see how anyone could go so horrifically wrong. There is so much build info on the forums, an excellent offline tool you can test your builds against with or without EQ. I've never bothered to look, but you can be certain once OB comes around some cookie-cutter templates will be around for those afraid/unable or unprepared to experiment with builds.

The Dev's have always said this is a dark gritty game; to me that immediately says actions=consequences. Giving a full re-spec for anything other than changes to the passive tree as previously noted is another step down the road to care-bearism imo.
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who have not.
I didn't bother reading all of this, but once I started playing, after something 'changes' so much that you wouldn't want to play your character anymore, it is either moved to the legacy league and stays the same, so you can still play it, or there used to be full passive skill refunds due to changes in the tree as someone just mentioned.

So I have no idea what are you people talking about, trial and error is the way to go, but if you want to change your character completely from the ground up, then it is your personal choice to go and do so, which will require a lot of effort, cause you made a HUGE mistake going the path you went, thus you tried, and failed, thus the trial and error part.

Your character is meant to evolve, everyone starts the same, some get lucky to start better (I once obtained two skill gems as a witch from the tutorial part), but after that, everyone goes on differently, you choose what to pick up, you get a chance to pick up different things, and you make different choices according to your own experience, if you want to change the entire evolution of your character... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

I personally think it might be a fun idea for a ultra super duper rare full respec orb, but that's cause I'm bad at building characters, but I never played enough, so I wouldn't need it so far.
"
AmberGhost wrote:
it is either moved to the legacy league and stays the same

so close before open beta we probably and hopefully have seen the last legacy migration already.

"
AmberGhost wrote:
So I have no idea what are you people talking about

of course you have since you didn't read it.

"
AmberGhost wrote:
I personally think it might be a fun idea for a ultra super duper rare full respec orb

often suggested, always declined by the devs.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
AmberGhost wrote:
"
AmberGhost wrote:
I personally think it might be a fun idea for a ultra super duper rare full respec orb
often suggested, always declined by the devs.

Well, I'd have no problem with it if it was so rare that you'd have a good chance of finding 111 regrets before it drops.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Nov 27, 2012, 12:36:02 PM
I'm glad the OP is a big enough fan of PoE to post about something he feels may jeopardize being able to play the game long-term. In that light, I respectfully disagree that the current respec system will be a game breaking feature for the target audience of this game. It's features like this that attract "hardcore" players. And it's the "hardcore" which ultimately support the community financially.
IGN: Friar
Knight of Guild Medieval http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545783
Game Mechanics http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707
Recipe Book http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223
Quest Reward List http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36776
I agree with OP's post that some of the mechanics need to be reworded to prevent unnecessary misunderstandings.

The respeccing on the other hand, does not need to be in the game.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
OP is misunderstanding the appeal of cosmetics and I don't think he understands the F2P model well. The benefits of it is precisely the opposite: In a P2P game, since every player is worth equally (the retail price), you need large numbers. A F2P game doesn't need that, all it needs is a loyal and willing to spend following, not a big one.

Having played a few F2P games in the past, I've known quite a few people on the higher end of expenditure who have easily spent thousands on their games.

Losing riff raff and whiners won't matter too much. If anything for the community it might be a plus.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info