Minion Instability and fire/burning damage

"
wivarn wrote:
I'm looking at the 3 "Area of Effect Radius" nodes in the middle of the passive tree. Will getting those give me a 12% boost to minion instability?

No it will not.

Even though it should.

"Minion Instability" is one of our skills.

Our other skills, like "Blast Radius" and the three you mentioned, "Area of Effect Radius", all specifically say

"Increases Radius of Area Skills".

It literally says that it should work.

But it unfortunately doesn't.

This is according to chat in the game, I have not tried this myself personally.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF WRONG!
I want to clarify if i understood that correct:

The damage from minion instability is only increased by:
-minion life
-minion damage
-any damage increasing effect on a shield in combination with necromantis aegis
-support gems that increase minion damage/life

and NOT by
-passives that increase fire or elemental damage?

Is that about right?
"
obsstar wrote:
"Minion Instability" is one of our skills.
Minion Instability is one of your passive skills, yes. Note that the word "skills" by itself is usually used only to refer to active skills, but that's not entirely important here.

"
obsstar wrote:
Our other skills, like "Blast Radius" and the three you mentioned, "Area of Effect Radius", all specifically say

"Increases Radius of Area Skills".
Yes. Your skill, Minion Instability doesn't have a radius to increase. It's effect is that when your minions die, they will create an explosion, which does have a radius, but is not one of your skills, it's something the minion is doing.
If you have a passive skill giving 10% chance to freeze, then the frozen debuff you put on a monster is not your skill, it's something that was caused because you had a particular passive. Similarly the explosion is not the same as Minion Instability - it is a separate thing, preformed by a minion, which did so because you had MI.

"
obsstar wrote:
No, it doesn't.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Feb 12, 2013, 7:13:17 PM
Yea, I thought about it a little bit more and some things occurred to me before I saw the reply, mainly, this one:

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Minion Instability is one of your passive skills, yes. Note that the word "skills" by itself is usually used only to refer to active skills, but that's not entirely important here.

It did dawn on me that the skill tree skills might be referencing abilities gained from gems, which are also called "skills". Good to see it confirmed, thank you sir!

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
obsstar wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Yea, sorry about that, it was just some slight confusion from the dual use of the word "skills" in the skill tree. Skills gained from gems, maybe called "abilities"?, and "passive" skills gained from the skill tree.

Again, thank you sir for clearing that up!
Last edited by obsstar on Feb 13, 2013, 12:01:43 AM
One more quick question. I combed through the threat and I get what synergizes when it comes to passives and support gems.

What I couldn't clearly make out is: Do Elemental damage auras like Wrath only add elemental damage on hit for the minions or also on the "Minion Instability explosion"?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Badyuyu on Feb 13, 2013, 6:24:22 AM
"
obsstar wrote:
Yea, I thought about it a little bit more and some things occurred to me before I saw the reply, mainly, this one:

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

It did dawn on me that the skill tree skills might be referencing abilities gained from gems, which are also called "skills". Good to see it confirmed, thank you sir!

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
obsstar wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Yea, sorry about that, it was just some slight confusion from the dual use of the word "skills" in the skill tree. Skills gained from gems, maybe called "abilities"?, and "passive" skills gained from the skill tree.

Again, thank you sir for clearing that up!

I'm not sure you understood Mark's post. As he said, the distinction between passive and active skills isn't really important here. What is important is that Minion Instability is not an Area of Effect skill. It is a passive skill that *adds a new ability to your minions*. Not to you - to your minions. Just like your minions don't benefit from, say, your +% hp passives, or your +% melee damage passives, they do not benefit from your +% fire passives.

Imagine there were a passive that turned your Skeletons into Skeleton Archers. Would you expect your own projectile damage nodes to work, or would you expect their damage to still be based on minion damage nodes? If your answer is the former case, then you're just confused about how minions work in this game :)

TL;DR: No, Minion Instability is a skill, that's not the issue. Minion Instability does not make you deal AoE fire damage when your minions die. It makes your MINIONS deal the damage.
Last edited by solistus on Feb 13, 2013, 6:36:14 AM
How hard is it to understand we have our skills. Minions have their own "skills". Nothing we do in our forest does anything for our minions besides the dmg and life ones. MI is not a spell, minions don't cast spells (more or less). If you want the explosion to do more damage use fire weakness curse and use support gems such ass life and fire pen. If you rock dual curse run fire weakness and elemental weakness.
"Unfortunately, we cannot restore any items lost to theft." Unless you are a well known streamer then we will do anything for you.
Mark
I was wondering if there has been any thoughts to making quivers work with necro aegis? That would definitely help power up MI
"
solistus wrote:
I'm not sure you understood Mark's post. As he said, the distinction between passive and active skills isn't really important here. What is important is that Minion Instability is not an Area of Effect skill. It is a passive skill that *adds a new ability to your minions*. Not to you - to your minions. Just like your minions don't benefit from, say, your +% hp passives, or your +% melee damage passives, they do not benefit from your +% fire passives.

Imagine there were a passive that turned your Skeletons into Skeleton Archers. Would you expect your own projectile damage nodes to work, or would you expect their damage to still be based on minion damage nodes? If your answer is the former case, then you're just confused about how minions work in this game :)

TL;DR: No, Minion Instability is a skill, that's not the issue. Minion Instability does not make you deal AoE fire damage when your minions die. It makes your MINIONS deal the damage.

No, I understood him just fine, but it appears you didn't understand me........

Are there any "passive skills" from the "skill" tree itself that are actually affected by those other "passive skills" from the "skill" tree that say they affect aoe "skills"?

Regardless, the dual use of the word "skills" in the "skill" tree for those specific "skill" nodes is kind of silly, especially if they really don't affect any "skills" from the actual "skill" tree....

TLDR, and here's what you didn't pick up from my last post:

It would be a lot clearer to just call abilities gained from gems, "abilities".
Last edited by obsstar on Feb 13, 2013, 11:24:53 PM
Mark, that's godamn badass.

Thanks for answering all the questions!

Hmm skeleton totem, + firedammage on them and fast casting, spamming self-made banelings! :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info