Arc

I have a question about Arc with Mines mechanic:
If I set multiple Arc Mines(Minefield support) at once , when I detonate it I see all Arc hit a target instantly , do they count as 1 big hit or still seperate multiple hit ?
-If I have "Ambush" node from Assassin ascendancy , when detonate Arc Mines do they all count as a "full life" hit ? Or only 1 Mines get the bonnus from the node?
-The same question go for elemental status effect like ignite/freeze/shock, do they count the damage to enemies's life from all mines or only 1 ?
They're all separate Hits, naturally. Only one Mine benefits from Ambush.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 30, 2016, 5:14:05 AM
I am curently leveling a CI crit Arc Assassin in Essence softcore (71 atm). It's not the first time i played Arc and it probably won't be the last either. ;)

To sum the skill up in one word: solid

The cast speed is low, the damage isn't high either and it has only 5% base critchance, but overall the skill still has a good feel to it due to its strong mechanics.
Especially the increase of chains with the gem level are awesome and give the build a good feel of progress in my opinion.

In terms of endgame pack clear- and bosskill-speed it falls behind other skills but for most of the game, it is good or at least viable in just a 4 link. Therefore i would evaluate it as not op, not weak, just solid.

So, contrary to many of the other posters, i wouldn't say that the skill needs a big buff. Maybe a slight increase in cast speed to make it more fun in the early levels or some increased shock duration - but otherwise i believe that it is in a pretty good spot right now.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Last edited by vargorn on Sep 10, 2016, 11:14:16 AM
i'd like to know what arc's range is in units for the first target

can't tell if it's inside or outside a remote mine's 60 unit base detonation radius
I had an arc witch build (non-crit, non CI) I started in the Essence league. I got it to lvl 77 and was running a 6L with Arc + Spell Echo + Controlled Destruction + Lightning Penetration + Mana Leech + Life Leech. I did alright with it until i started getting into T3-4 maps.

IMO, i think the problem with arc isn't so much the damage as the ability to take on mobs of monsters. It seems to fall short when up against mobs that are any greater than the number of chains. This is to be expected from the mechanics, I suppose. AOE skills will hit as many monsters will fit in the AOE, while chain skills will only hit as many monsters as it can chain.

Rather than increasing dmg on the Arc skill gem, i think scaling the number of chains to be more competitive with AOE skills might be more balanced. The chains for the chain support gem could also be scaled up, i think, and maybe eliminate the dmg reduction, too. maybe if it's not too imbalanced, %dmg spell dmg could be added to the chain support, too.

hopefully, GGG staff finds this post helpful and constructive. Thanks for all your hard work, GGG.
"
nealn wrote:
I had an arc witch build (non-crit, non CI) I started in the Essence league. I got it to lvl 77 and was running a 6L with Arc + Spell Echo + Controlled Destruction + Lightning Penetration + Mana Leech + Life Leech. I did alright with it until i started getting into T3-4 maps.

IMO, i think the problem with arc isn't so much the damage as the ability to take on mobs of monsters. It seems to fall short when up against mobs that are any greater than the number of chains. This is to be expected from the mechanics, I suppose. AOE skills will hit as many monsters will fit in the AOE, while chain skills will only hit as many monsters as it can chain.

Rather than increasing dmg on the Arc skill gem, i think scaling the number of chains to be more competitive with AOE skills might be more balanced. The chains for the chain support gem could also be scaled up, i think, and maybe eliminate the dmg reduction, too. maybe if it's not too imbalanced, %dmg spell dmg could be added to the chain support, too.

hopefully, GGG staff finds this post helpful and constructive. Thanks for all your hard work, GGG.

chain is balanced around skills that dont chain without it,and its in a decent spot for these. while arc has issues with big packs without running fire prolif i think a big part of your problem is running life and mana leech gems, try to fix your mana in a different way, replace the gem with faster casting or ele focus if you dont have skilled shock chance and it will perform better.
tried leveling with pure arc took me 5 minutes to clear act 1 boss was beyond terrible could use some sort of buff

i couldnt survive breaches if i opened them

i had arc and added lightning damage combined with withc and the damage direction
i also tried lvling with es focus but that worked even less

also a lot of skills have an easier and shorter casting time while dealing more damage
example classic fireball deals more damage at lvl 20
aoe chaining skills like magma orb deal also more damage

my suggestion? a general overhaul

for example deal x-x damage to first target and 70% to other chained targets or perhaps chain x times deal some damage and shock them because honestly for a damage skill gem it barely does any damage

if you compare it to stormcall you can see that even more clearly

i admit i havent played arc at high level how can i reach high level arc if i cant even survive normal
Last edited by lichdeath on Jan 20, 2017, 12:10:31 PM
I feel like arc needs some help being useful because as it stands it needs help from a knockback orb of storms or cold conversions to be somewhat usable without major risk of death. The Breach league has made it very apparent that the skill suffers badly against larger numbers of enemies.

Sure, I can push a 6 linked arc over the 80,000 sheet dps mark with my crit inquisitor and melt a T12 map boss, but against lots of enemies it's very lackluster. I cannot understand why Spark is allowed to outperform arc on so many levels, having more crit, faster casting speed by far, and costing less mana. Arc needs something as dramatically changing for it as sire of shards can be for spark - it needs a way to multichain off enemies so that instead of one chain, it makes two or something and spreads damage over more enemies. It's also still painful in general to level early on it hits so little.
The more More you have, the less Less matters
Last edited by Avereth12 on Feb 11, 2017, 2:01:26 AM
Arc is on a pretty bad spot compared to other options, and sadly Breach league completely shows how bad the skills becomes battling huge amounts of enemies because:

- If number of enemies > (Number of Chains/2), any other AoE Skill is strictly better.

This wouldn't be a problem by itself if the skill had decent single target dps problem is:

- If only 1 enemy, Skill gets heavily outclassed by any single target gem AND still outclassed by AoE gems

Imo there is two legit ways of solving this problem, any of them would get the skill on a decent spot:

- Make it so if there is only one enemy target viable the skill can chain back and forth between you an the enemy

-Increase Damage and maximum amount of chains BUT make it so can only hit the same target once

When You die on Softcore, you lose experience.
When you die on Hardcore, you gain experience.
I have to say, this skill feels really awful while levelling for a whole bunch of reasons. Low bounce count at low levels means you need a multi target skill, and low single target damage means it, er, sucks for single target. It's just bad - why would you use it over any of the other skills simply supported? This is made worse by the fact that it isn't a projectile or area, so none of those support gems help it.

I love chain lightning in every game it's in, but this incarnation just feels dreadful at the moment.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info