Animate Guardian

"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
I think ggg's view on the guardian is problematic.

Because they are balancing him for the unlikely event that the 1 or 3 people in the world who are rich enough to throw 50 exa items on him will do it.

anything in this game can be broken if you throw enough exalted orbs at it , this is a fact.

but the probability of that happening is beyond remote. we are talking the top .01% of poe players.

It seems ludicrous to me that this gem would be held back because a tiny fraction of the community might exploit it. especially when said people have plenty of other broken things to exploit anyway.

that is what it means to be rich.

it just limits accessibility. A gem for the rich and powerful ... and garbage for anyone else.

Hell at this point i would remove the whole use items mechanic entirely and just give him an aura or something.

He doesn't need expensive items to survive. The only stat he needs is 59% elemental resist from gear, that's it. Give him an auromvorax and he's set. After that give him a Zandethus' Cassock so he heals the army and a Springleaf so he stays alive, maybe even a Leer Cast if you want him to grant a damage aura. A couple of chaos is enough.

He doesn't even need uniques to honest but just feeding him trash rares is kinda boring.

I'm curious though, which expensive items do you think would make him strong? I can't really think of anything in the double-digit exalt price range that he'd benefit greatly from wearing. Maybe a Bino's Kitchen Knife? I don't know if that's even any good, I haven't tried it yet, too expensive, and it seems really gimicky in theory so I'm not in a hurry.

--

Speaking of Bino's and the Guardian; I'm slightly sad that he can't dual wield anymore. I can understand that it was frustrating that we couldn't replace our 1h weapon on our guardian without making him dual wield and lose his shield, and I don't see a good way of dealing with that except a dedicated inventory window to put in the guardian's items manually, but the first thing I thought when I saw Mark of the Doubting Knight was: "Woah, maybe now the Bino idea might not be so gimicky as there's no longer any need for Snakebite and Carnage Chieftains." Alas, it wasn't ment to be. Probably for the better though, Binos are expensive :P

Also, if anyone is thinking about giving their Guardian a Death's Oath, please be aware that the chaos aura does next to no damage. I don't think minion damage scales it, and I don't think it's supposed to. It is pretty though.
My supporter items: Victario's Charity and The Forsaken
I think it depends. Is the Chaos damage aura from that item considered damage dealt by the Animate Guardian? If so, Minion damage will scale it. Though it shouldn't matter that much, since you can only get to around 180% or so +minion damage, 2.8x damage.
"
Mokihiki wrote:
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
I think ggg's view on the guardian is problematic.

Because they are balancing him for the unlikely event that the 1 or 3 people in the world who are rich enough to throw 50 exa items on him will do it.

anything in this game can be broken if you throw enough exalted orbs at it , this is a fact.

but the probability of that happening is beyond remote. we are talking the top .01% of poe players.

It seems ludicrous to me that this gem would be held back because a tiny fraction of the community might exploit it. especially when said people have plenty of other broken things to exploit anyway.

that is what it means to be rich.

it just limits accessibility. A gem for the rich and powerful ... and garbage for anyone else.

Hell at this point i would remove the whole use items mechanic entirely and just give him an aura or something.

He doesn't need expensive items to survive. The only stat he needs is 59% elemental resist from gear, that's it. Give him an auromvorax and he's set. After that give him a Zandethus' Cassock so he heals the army and a Springleaf so he stays alive, maybe even a Leer Cast if you want him to grant a damage aura. A couple of chaos is enough.

He doesn't even need uniques to honest but just feeding him trash rares is kinda boring.

I'm curious though, which expensive items do you think would make him strong? I can't really think of anything in the double-digit exalt price range that he'd benefit greatly from wearing. Maybe a Bino's Kitchen Knife? I don't know if that's even any good, I haven't tried it yet, too expensive, and it seems really gimicky in theory so I'm not in a hurry.

--

Speaking of Bino's and the Guardian; I'm slightly sad that he can't dual wield anymore. I can understand that it was frustrating that we couldn't replace our 1h weapon on our guardian without making him dual wield and lose his shield, and I don't see a good way of dealing with that except a dedicated inventory window to put in the guardian's items manually, but the first thing I thought when I saw Mark of the Doubting Knight was: "Woah, maybe now the Bino idea might not be so gimicky as there's no longer any need for Snakebite and Carnage Chieftains." Alas, it wasn't ment to be. Probably for the better though, Binos are expensive :P

Also, if anyone is thinking about giving their Guardian a Death's Oath, please be aware that the chaos aura does next to no damage. I don't think minion damage scales it, and I don't think it's supposed to. It is pretty though.

you misunderstand , i am not talking about what he needs at minimum, I am saying that balancing a gem for the top end ie the high rollers who can drop 50 exa is a bad idea.
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
you misunderstand , i am not talking about what he needs at minimum, I am saying that balancing a gem for the top end ie the high rollers who can drop 50 exa is a bad idea.

Well I don't think he's balanced around being fed expensive items, the setup I listed is literally one of the best setups you can put on him. Also, in the 1.0.0 presentation video Chris himself even discouraged the idea of putting expensive stuff on him.

What would you put on him if price wasn't an issue?
Last edited by Mokihiki on Sep 4, 2014, 5:03:34 PM
Animate Guardian has really high HP, higher than Zombies at same level. He also benefits from items worn, but you mainly need resistances above a certain threshold. Then give him a shield and some armor and he is good to go. You don't exactly need expensive items.

However, since you can only have one copy, I would like to see some changes. Like maybe give him some flat damage, accuracy, evasion, armor, and energy shield bonuses on level up. Using him as offense is horrible, because he has low accuracy and not good enough damage multiplier. So, he is only a good tank support.
"
Mokihiki wrote:
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:

Well I don't think he's balanced around being fed expensive items, the setup I listed is literally one of the best setups you can put on him. Also, in the 1.0.0 presentation video Chris himself even discouraged the idea of putting expensive stuff on him.

What would you put on him if price wasn't an issue?

but that is exactly what ggg said was the reason for how he currently works
to paraphrase it was "we are cautious to buff the guardian because of certain unique combination on him can be over powered" or something like that.

that means the gem is being held back by potentially expensive item combinations.

but to be perfectly honest there is no reason that the items on a guardian should dissapear when he dies.

it is not like you can take the items off of him and resell them later. once an item is on a guardian , it stays on that guardian. That right there is a pretty big down side , having the guardian lose everything on death just makes the skill unnecessarily risky
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
to paraphrase it was "we are cautious to buff the guardian because of certain unique combination on him can be over powered" or something like that.

that means the gem is being held back by potentially expensive item combinations.

Yeah probably unique combinations like Zandethus' + double Springleaf + maybe a Blood Dance. You keep saying "expensive" (except just now when paraphrasing GGG) but you don't include any examples. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I just like this skill and was curious that maybe there was a strong combo I'd overlooked because it was out of my price range or something.

If someone is rich and want to use this skill, I think the best way to translate wealth to power would be buying a 21/20 Guardian gem and a lvl 4 empower. As with all minions levels and resistance is everything.
If socket onto an item the support gem cast on damage taken, along with a spell gem linked, and then give that item to my animated guardian will the animated guardian cast the spell on damage taken?
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
Last edited by geffreyy on Sep 5, 2014, 2:24:24 PM
"
geffreyy wrote:
If socket onto an item the support gem cast on damage taken, along with a spell gem linked, and then give that item to my animated guardian will the animated guardian cast the spell on damage taken?
no
"
Mokihiki wrote:
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:

Yeah probably unique combinations like Zandethus' + double Springleaf + maybe a Blood Dance. You keep saying "expensive" (except just now when paraphrasing GGG) but you don't include any examples. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I just like this skill and was curious that maybe there was a strong combo I'd overlooked because it was out of my price range or something.

If someone is rich and want to use this skill, I think the best way to translate wealth to power would be buying a 21/20 Guardian gem and a lvl 4 empower. As with all minions levels and resistance is everything.

well this is theoretical here , so assume they already have all of those things.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info