Cast when Damage Taken

Here's an elegant way to balance Cast When Damage Taken with an ongoing mana cost comparable to its benefits:

Apply the same level-based scaling factor to both the damage reduction and mana cost of all spells triggered by Cast When Damage Taken.

At lvl-1, CWDT would cast triggered spells at 70% of their mana cost and produce 70% less damage. As you leveled up the gem, mana cost would decrease and damage would increase, but the damage trigger would increase as well. This would give players an incentive to increase gem level to the point where CWDT triggers often enough to be useful, but without excessive mana drain. The number of spells linked to CWDT would likewise be naturally limited by the amount of mana needed to support them.
oh my god its so annoying that everyone "wants this thing nerved".. why??

"ohhh its so OP this must be nerved" .. no sir i dondt like it.. its so more fun to play with this.. so ruin the fun please ;)

by the way 2x the gem is super cool i got 6 skills with it now ;)
when/where is quest reward?
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Okay, so I run CWDT-MShell-Enfeeble-RejuvTotem and also CWDT-EndCry-???

I'd like a skill that has a chance to freeze monsters, and know nothing about the mechanics... what would serve best? Cold snap? It says %chance to freeze... but I didn't notice anything when I ran it. Arctic breath for the chilled ground? I would appreciate opinions on what's best to run here. I'm using a block character that uses infernal blow. I like my endurance charges and don't want immortal call.

Quest reward is library in merciless. Get those pages! Found my second in a map as a drop.
Last edited by butteryone on Oct 27, 2013, 9:49:19 PM
i run CWDT + molten + endurancecry + rejuvtotem
and CWDT + Tempchains + shocknova + elemental proliferation

sick combo first one for defense and second one for curse and 100% shocking around me

im also havin 73/71 Block and sometimes it needs some time till some dude really hits me and triggers it ;)).

so first some Elemental Weakness or Conductivity curse on em, and when they hit me they get all shocked and chained by the CWDT gem.

use it on boots and gloves
Last edited by krassi3000 on Oct 27, 2013, 10:01:50 PM
I would slap "Less Skill Duration" on top of the damage modifier and it would probably still be pretty powerful. This gem is simply mandatory for all builds in the current state which is not a good thing.

CWDT + Cold Snap, Enduring cry and Enfeeble.

love it!
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
I think that flat damage on gem proc is not the best way to execute it. Change it to any incoming damage from non-player source, so character itself can't trigger it. Then make it trigger one random linked spell, not all of them, plus create a backswing cooldown, based on cast speed. Cooldown prevents player and this gem to cast that type of spell, however it still can be casted by totem/trap/mine or other support gem. This will make actual sense to linking multiple spells, they will trigger one by one because of cooldown. Remove % and make a damage instance counter. For example each 25th damage instance triggers one of supported spells. As a damage reduction make a -gem level, and gems that will have 0 level or less will not proc. Increasing level of gem will reduce number of instances needed to proc, but also reduces supported gem level further.
I actually don't think you should nerf everything all the time. You need powerful/op abilities to make the game fun. Else you end up like World of Warcraft where everything is perfectly balanced -> boring.

Instead of nerfing this gem they should instead buff other gems. I don't play PoE to get a perfectly balanced experience, else i whould just play chess.
Does this proc when you block damage? Or does it only apply to damage that gets through to your ES/health?
IGN: Iolar

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info