Cast when Damage Taken

"
PikkInTheFace wrote:
This nerf has also ruined my character... As I'm not very rich, getting CWDT gems was a cheap way to be able to progress further in the game. Now the game is that much more gear dependant, and not skill-build dependant to me. If only i had enough scouring orbs to actually make use of my spells while i figure out something to do...

Come on... did you seriously think that this gem was balanced and had any component of skill attached to it?

For fuck's sake, you could solo Dominus without doing anything at all with a few CWDT gems in their previous form.

The gem was a train wreck, and I am absolutely dismayed that GGG allowed it into Live without extensive testing.
"
brgillespie wrote:
"
PikkInTheFace wrote:
This nerf has also ruined my character... As I'm not very rich, getting CWDT gems was a cheap way to be able to progress further in the game. Now the game is that much more gear dependant, and not skill-build dependant to me. If only i had enough scouring orbs to actually make use of my spells while i figure out something to do...

Come on... did you seriously think that this gem was balanced and had any component of skill attached to it?

For fuck's sake, you could solo Dominus without doing anything at all with a few CWDT gems in their previous form.

The gem was a train wreck, and I am absolutely dismayed that GGG allowed it into Live without extensive testing.

That's what I said : nerf the offensive side of the gem, and don't force melee chars into rerolling summoner / trapper
"Zazan":
*Cast On Damage Taken: The level requirement of gems augmented by Cast on Damage Taken may not exceed the level requirement of the Cast on Damage Taken gem.
*Fixed a bug where people logged in to play
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
GGG, you are doing it wrong.

Here. Pick one.

Also: Cast on Damage Taken (and Cast When Stunned) would both reserve flat mana. There would be no mana cost multiplier, so activating a level 20 Enduring Cry CWDT (with no supports) would reserve 26 mana (or 16 life with Mortal Conviction); a level 20 Molten Shell would reserve 70 mana (42 life with MC). However, activating all of Cactuar's Ethereal Knives CWSs would reserve roughly 437 mana (491 once he gets his 5L, 656 once he gets his 6L). This is keeping in mind that Cactuar has 8% reduced mana reserved.

Now undo that stupid nerf, implement this, and make everyone happy.

+1
IGN: _Johnny_Blaze_
Agreed on the inverting the gem, make people level it up to use with a low damage trigger. Also like the idea of reserving the mana cost of attached gem rather than the current nerf which made this gem go from one of the best in the game to one of the worst.
IGN: FemmeFatality
"
Chris wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
The state of the game is somewhat depressing at the moment. Chris, please consider the kind of mindset you are imbuing into players "If your build is widely used regardless if it is actually overpowered, it will be nerfed to the ground"

We're happy for builds to be overpowered and awesome. We're not happy for people to be able to proc full effectiveness defensive spells four times per second with no mana cost. Based on our testing, the changes in 1.0.0 help curb the abuse case while keeping the CwDT gem at a decent power level. We will definitely keep looking at data and feedback so that we can make further changes to it as needed.

Edit: Let's try to keep this thread about the build submissions. There are other appropriate places to discuss the balance changes. Thanks!

You already had everything you needed: a cooldown to tweak the defensive side of the skill and a damage reduction % to tweak the offensive part. Proccing Molten shell too often? Put a 4s cd on it. The damage output is too high, even on a 4s cd? Raise the damage penalty. And make leveling slightly decrease cd maybe. The cooldown was the right idea.

Instead, you chose to force people to use low level spells or have them proc way late. It used to be a cool skill, now it's a super-niche thing that people will mostly use if they have extra room in their gear.

It's called Cast when damage taken, I should be able to use it to cast my spells when I take damage. That's not really what the gem does anymore. It's now "Cast when taking a huge beating".

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Here. Pick one.

Also: Cast on Damage Taken (and Cast When Stunned) would both reserve flat mana. There would be no mana cost multiplier, so activating a level 20 Enduring Cry CWDT (with no supports) would reserve 26 mana (or 16 life with Mortal Conviction); a level 20 Molten Shell would reserve 70 mana (42 life with MC). However, activating all of Cactuar's Ethereal Knives CWSs would reserve roughly 437 mana (491 once he gets his 5L, 656 once he gets his 6L). This is keeping in mind that Cactuar has 8% reduced mana reserved.

No. Cannot invert the gem because it wouldn't make sense to have a level 1 gem be useless for low level players. I like the mana reserved idea somewhat.
IGN: WorldWideWitchDotCom
Last edited by Alphapix on Nov 13, 2013, 1:46:51 PM
"
Alphapix wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
The state of the game is somewhat depressing at the moment. Chris, please consider the kind of mindset you are imbuing into players "If your build is widely used regardless if it is actually overpowered, it will be nerfed to the ground"

We're happy for builds to be overpowered and awesome. We're not happy for people to be able to proc full effectiveness defensive spells four times per second with no mana cost. Based on our testing, the changes in 1.0.0 help curb the abuse case while keeping the CwDT gem at a decent power level. We will definitely keep looking at data and feedback so that we can make further changes to it as needed.

Edit: Let's try to keep this thread about the build submissions. There are other appropriate places to discuss the balance changes. Thanks!

You already had everything you needed: a cooldown to tweak the defensive side of the skill and a damage reduction % to tweak the offensive part. Proccing Molten shell too often? Put a 4s cd on it. The damage output is too high, even on a 4s cd? Raise the damage penalty. And make leveling slightly decrease cd maybe. The cooldown was the right idea.

Instead, you chose to force people to use low level spells or have them proc way late. It used to be a cool skill, now it's a super-niche thing that people will mostly use if they have extra room in their gear.

It's called Cast when damage taken, I should be able to use it to cast my spells when I take damage. That's not really what the gem does anymore. It's now "Cast when taking a huge beating".

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Here. Pick one.

No. Cannot invert the game because it wouldn't make sense to have a level 1 gem be useless for low level players. I like the mana reserved idea somewhat.

This at least gives a melee character some hope, but if we nerfed like right now, all melee character will have to change into ranged character because you can't really be tanky enough...
"
Alphapix wrote:

No. Cannot invert the game because it wouldn't make sense to have a level 1 gem be useless for low level players. I like the mana reserved idea somewhat.

Why not invert and make the trigger damage based on player max hp?

Like gem lvl 1: procs when you are damaged for 20% of your total.
And gem lvl 20: procs when you are damaged for 10% of your total.
Not sure how this would affect CI and certain flasks and whatever else.

"
siis wrote:
"
Alphapix wrote:

Why not invert and make the trigger damage based on player max hp?

Like gem lvl 1: procs when you are damaged for 20% of your total.
And gem lvl 20: procs when you are damaged for 10% of your total.
Not sure how this would affect CI and certain flasks and whatever else.

That is easy enough to solve. Make it a % of max HP + ES. CI would now be viable with CoDT. (The Gem already counts your energy shield anyways)
Just make it so the procced skill can't be recast until the duration of that skill has elapsed. Thus, if it puts up a totem, you have to wait until the totem would have expired until it puts up another one. If the totem dies before it expires, you lose your proc defense in the interval. Make the proc effect happen as a percentage of HP+ES. As the gem levels up, the duration times for the skills goes down by some percentage (reducing by say, 2.5% per level). And the percentage of HP+ES that you need to proc the gem would go down with quality.

This gives incentive to level the gem, incentive to get higher quality, and ensures that a direct cast of the gem will always be superior (more readily available) than a procced cast.
So guys, as a fresh player I wanted to ask how to deal with the new codt (if they don't revert it or something) - level it or don't or keep it on any actual level?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info