Cast on Melee Kill

"
I'm still fuzzy on how exactly this gem is to be used... Any skill linked to COMK is unable to be used directly by the character, so if the only way to activate COMK (and the skill you'd like to have activated) is to USE the other skill that's linked, we've got a bit of a quandary don't we?

For example, if I have Ice Spear + COMK + Arc I am no longer able to use Ice Spear or Arc directly, and those two skills are the only way to ACTIVATE the COMK skill, right?

So... How do I use this thing?

What do you think the M in COMK stands for?
"
Floytesangen wrote:
How does this gem interact with lightning strike? The projectiles scale off your melee damage, but are they considered "melee" for the purposes of this gem? Will enemies killed by the lightning strike projectiles trigger supported gems?

It's quite weird how LS works with CoMK. From experimenting, the CoMK seems to only proc when you use LS at melee range. If you cast from range and get rewarded with a kill, CoMK will not proc.
@porkguy
A comment: This gem is significantly worse than cast on crit. This is reasonable to some extent, but cast on crit is just MILES ahead of cast on melee kill, and the biggest reason is because cast on crit isn't limited to melee attacks.

I have a feeling cast on crit will be toned down, but it seems like cast on melee kill should be toned up a little. IMO it would make sense to have it be cast on melee crit and cast on kill, than the way it is right now.
Last edited by FamousTrip on Nov 5, 2013, 7:06:50 PM
I feel like this and CoDT are a bit mixed up.
This should be an 100% chance with damage mod, and cast on damage taken should be the chance to cast.

With no damage mod on this, there is no major point in using it, because any kills you get only have a chance of activating your secondry attack, and if the the wiki is to be believed, it won't reach 100% at level 20.

If it were cast on kill 100% chance, with %50 less damage, breaking even at level 10, going up to 50% more damage ( with say the 250ms cooldown to prevent splash abuse) it could actually justify using a purely single target ability rather than melee splash.
Or even with melee splash in that scenario, with say dualstrike-melee splash-CoMK-Ice nova-culling strike any foes that just survived the melee splash would get taken out by the nova.
make it 100% chance to cast and give it a nice damage increase for the melee skill each level to make it a usefull skill!
ign: ALLRAUDER
Wasting 2 sockets on your killing skill for this is atrocious. Not worth it at all, hope to see this reworked somehow to make it usable.
PM me here is best way to contact me.
I wish i could link my zombies with cast on melee kill to summon skeletons or somthing along those lines.
Also Viper strike +cast on melee kill+x
Also Heavy strike +cast on melee kill+EK+EK+add fire+iron will. Heavy strike is usualy 1 hit kill anyway with 2h so why not make it trash clearing skill? You can have your boss killing skill on other 6l.
"
kavinux wrote:
I wish i could link my zombies with cast on melee kill to summon skeletons or somthing along those lines.
Also Viper strike +cast on melee kill+x
Also Heavy strike +cast on melee kill+EK+EK+add fire+iron will. Heavy strike is usualy 1 hit kill anyway with 2h so why not make it trash clearing skill? You can have your boss killing skill on other 6l.

I am curious as to how (or if) this will allow for self-propagating minions.

For example say I link Heavy Strike, COMK, and Zombies. I make a kill with Heavy Strike, and a zombie pops out. Later, that Zombie makes a kill, and a zombie comes out of it's attack as well. Thus you'd have zombies making new zombies as a sort of ghetto zombie healing factor.

Of course, that's only assuming it works with summons at all. Can we verify this? I can do some testing, I suppose.

EDIT: Well, it doesn't seem to work with zombies anyway. I linked it to Leap Slam, and sure enough when I made a kill with Leap Slam zombies would pop out of the corpses sometime. However, the zombies themselves don't seem to get the benefit of the COMK gem: their kills had no effect.

Too bad, really. That would have MAYBE made the gem worth using. Oh well.
Last edited by Damon_Tor on Nov 11, 2013, 2:58:18 AM
This gem needs something like 100 more spell damage atleast. Since wasting two slots for a mere chance to cast something upon kill is not worth it at all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info