Cast on Melee Kill

This is legitimately an awful gem. I just got it and I was shocked to find out that you would need to waste at least 2 sockets on whatever your primary killing skil is in order to use it.

Example:

I use Infernal blow. I want to use cast on melee kill to use enduring cry whenever I get a kill. I would have to link both enduring cry and the melee kill gem to infernal blow. It would eat up two support sockets for my main skill.

Maybe there's a gimmick use I'm missing, but currently this gem seems useless.
IGN: Depressed_Wegee
Please feel free to message me if I get outbid.
I'm thinking of rolling Double Strike + Cast on Melee Kill + Cast on Crit with some Spells attached (FP, Ice Nova?). Of course, I'm never going to have a good item to socket that in so lol.

Maybe Cast on Kill + Detonate Dead might be worth it for a more regular build, especially if it already has some AoE boosts.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 24, 2013, 7:53:42 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Maybe Cast on Kill + Detonate Dead might be worth it for a more regular build, especially if it already has some AoE boosts.
*coughs* infernal blow unless using a bow =p
Well infernal blow doesnt work with most melee weapons, does it?

Detonate dead seemed like the obvious choice for this support gem, but like others have pointed out, you have to use up 2 gem slots for the effect. IMO it makes much more sense to just use remote mine + detonate dead for cleaning up, since you get the massive damage bonus from remote mine.
IGN: Iolar
i was teasing anyways, and yeah there does seem to always be a "better" use out there.

also that my last comment was wrong for a second reason, this support works on melee kills only.
"
Kittah_Khan wrote:
I fear that this trigger is not going to be used as is.
The reason ? It needs to be linked both with the skill you want to cast and your primary killing attack. Both of these skill gems will probably be needing lots of sockets, especially your primary skill( which you want to be dead killy ).

I suggest removing the constraint on needing to be bound to a specific attack skill and instead make it apply to all melee kills ( including melee-inflicted DoT/secondary effects ).

The same goes with the on crit trigger.
Tha use cases for this gem as is are sparse at best. The trigger condition, sockets and mana cost of triggering(if this applies, i am unable to play at the moment) alone are pretty big constraints already.

Conversely, on damage taken and on stun are going to see loads of use because they will likely trigger frequently and don't need to be linked to anything beyond the spell to cast.

No need to point out how little use on death is going to see( unless it somehow prevents the damage that would kill you ).

As far as on death support gem, I can actually see this being quite usefull as a summoner if you are using minion instability especially. Everytime your minion gets to 30% health it deals damage and triggers whatever spell you choose to attach. Maybe shock nova???
Yep. Worthless. MAke it trigger once in 30 kills at L1 and scale to 1 in 10 at L20. Then, it's a usable skill.

IMO etc.
Your RNGeesus is a false prophet
All I can think is waste of 2 slots against bosses. As high as its potential is in solo play against packs, it will still underwhelming because of that.
Last edited by SmilingCat on Oct 27, 2013, 8:56:14 AM
I just tried it on 4L: infernal blow+melee splash + cast on kill+ detonate dead.
When i kill sth when fighting big gropus of mobs everything blows.
Pretty fun to use ;p
Nothing here
"
trolldemort wrote:
I just tried it on 4L: infernal blow+melee splash + cast on kill+ detonate dead.
When i kill sth when fighting big gropus of mobs everything blows.
Pretty fun to use ;p

yeah since everything blows up already when infernal blow kills something, this makes combination the least usefull one :P if you want to go this way why not use Heavy strike with detonate dead?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info