Help Determine Increasesd Item Rarity Mechanics!

So there's a big debate about the optimal amounts of IIQ and IIR. Many people have strong opinions, but I've never seen any evidence to back their opinions up. I'd like to try to determine exactly how IIR works in order to make better judgments of the relative values of IIQ and IIR.

The wording of Increased Item Rarity leads me to believe that each equipable item has an associated numerical "rarity." Each time an item drops, a random rarity is determined and then multiplied by your IIR. If this rarity is above a certain threshold (but below the next), it will be a magic item, or if it is above a higher threshold it will be a rare. I suspect Unique items may have different drop mechanics, so they will be disregarded.

If this assumption is accurate, there are three things that need to be determined:

The probability distribution of the initial rarity roll
The threshold for magic items
The threshold for rare items

So, we need data. Post here your IIR and # of normal/magic/rare drops from normal/magic monsters and #s from rare monsters (they have innate IIR). If you wish to post info about unique monsters/items (who doesn't like to brag?), include the name, too, as they likely each have their own threshold/innate IIR.

Please try to remain truthful and unbiased; If people only post when they have gotten very lucky/unlucky the data will be very skewed--decide whether you are going to post before you see your results.

Thanks for your help!

tl;dr
Post here to help understand IIR better.
Include:
your IIR
# of normal/magic/rare items from normal/magic monsters
# of normal/magic/rare items from rare monsters

Last bumped on Oct 22, 2013, 4:07:29 AM
Some of my own data:

0% IIR (for testing purposes)
1 rare, 14 magic, 222 whites from normal/magic monsters
6 rare, 22 magic, 27 whites from rare monsters
"
mekakat wrote:
The wording of Increased Item Rarity leads me to believe that each equipable item has an associated numerical "rarity." Each time an item drops, a random rarity is determined and then multiplied by your IIR. If this rarity is above a certain threshold (but below the next), it will be a magic item, or if it is above a higher threshold it will be a rare. I suspect Unique items may have different drop mechanics, so they will be disregarded.
No, rarity is not a numerical value. There are four rarities in the game: Normal, Magic, Rare, and unique. "rarity" is not some hidden number that causes these and unspecified thresholds, it's simply the property of being one of these rarities. Unique is not an exception, it's a rarity like any other.
Any arbitrary drop has a certain chance to be upgraded to magic, any drop that does has anohter chance to upgrade to rare, and any rare drop then has another chance to upgrade to unique. IIR increases the first chance - the chance an item will drop as (at least) magic. By doing so, this has a knock-on effect on the other rarities - if twice as many items drop as at least magic, and N% of magics upgrade again to rare, then, twice as many items will drop as rare, since the same n% is applied to a greater number, and the same again for uniqe.
x:x+(50%*x to x)

in other words u get the best of both worlds with

~100 : ~150-200

extreme numbers in either direction are wasted space when another 10% of 2 mods when u only have 1 is reducing ur effectiveness as a orb and magic finder.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Last edited by leighferon on Oct 1, 2013, 2:29:51 AM
"
uniqe.

you're fired
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
mekakat wrote:
No, rarity is not a numerical value. There are four rarities in the game: Normal, Magic, Rare, and unique. "rarity" is not some hidden number that causes these and unspecified thresholds, it's simply the property of being one of these rarities. Unique is not an exception, it's a rarity like any other.
Any arbitrary drop has a certain chance to be upgraded to magic, any drop that does has anohter chance to upgrade to rare, and any rare drop then has another chance to upgrade to unique. IIR increases the first chance - the chance an item will drop as (at least) magic. By doing so, this has a knock-on effect on the other rarities - if twice as many items drop as at least magic, and N% of magics upgrade again to rare, then, twice as many items will drop as rare, since the same n% is applied to a greater number, and the same again for uniqe.

Does it mean that base item is decided before the rarity ? If I remember well, GGG staff said the contrary before...
IGN TylordRampage
Last edited by Malone on Oct 1, 2013, 3:42:10 AM
@Mark: Could you give any specifics on how IIR and/or IIQ diminishing returns work?

edit: Daniel is cool too. :)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 1, 2013, 3:38:14 AM
"
Malone wrote:
Does it mean that base item is decided before the rarity ? If I remember well, GGG staff said the contrary before...

No, the rarity is decided first using the method Mark described.
Ok thanks, so basically, game engine calculates how much white, magic, rare, unique are dropping from a mob and then decide the base item for each. So I suppose that base item have of course differents odd, depending on rarity. Like Glorious Plate would be far less common than Gold Amulet as unique , but maybe similar odd as white ?

I am also wondering how do you adjust drop rate of unique, which factor do you consider and do you "dynamically" change it regulary....
IGN TylordRampage
Last edited by Malone on Oct 1, 2013, 3:42:18 AM
"
Malone wrote:
Ok thanks, so basically, game engine calculates how much white, magic, rare, unique are dropping from a mob and then decide the base item for each. So I suppose that base item have of course differents odd, depending on rarity. Like Glorious Plate would be far less common than Gold Amulet as unique , but maybe similar odd as white ?

I am also wondering how do you adjust drop rate of unique, which factor do you consider and do you "dynamically" change it regulary....

I think rarity has only so much to do with what base item drop in that it makes the pool to pick from smaller.

So when the drop is rare Every Itemm except Flask could drop (don't know how the Zone level affects this)

And if the drop is unique only base items that have a unique can drop.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info