Help Determine Increasesd Item Rarity Mechanics!

how is what unique that drops affected by this? I mean is the difference in drop rates between say Voll's and Shavronnes only decided by the drop frequency of the base item. That cant be right, cause occultist vest drop all the time (not to mention there are two unique occ vest)

Is the specific unique which drops determined by a roll on a table of some sorts instead rolling a base item to determine which unique is going to drop (which I guess is essentially the same as having a base item chosen from a list with weighted probabilities affected by the unique roll, except that it must somehow accommodate for multiple uniques of same base item)

And does this also mean that as more unique items are added, the drop rates for each individual unique goes down as the unique rolls a player gets is distributed over a larger number of possible uniques? Or is the chance to roll a unique growing with increasing number uniques in game?

Ok, I may be stupid as a donkey her, but I'll give it a try...

Let's say I stack IIR. Let's say I have about 300. In theory, I will now find 4 times as much magic items as with 0 IIR. But if the magic/rare/unique-roll is being rolled BEFORE the item type, doesn't that make us find less Orbs, seeing they can't be magic/rare/unique?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
Ok, I may be stupid as a donkey her, but I'll give it a try...

Let's say I stack IIR. Let's say I have about 300. In theory, I will now find 4 times as much magic items as with 0 IIR. But if the magic/rare/unique-roll is being rolled BEFORE the item type, doesn't that make us find less Orbs, seeing they can't be magic/rare/unique?

I think Gear and Currencys are rolled seperately.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on Oct 1, 2013, 5:09:35 AM
IIRC from older posts GGG made on how IIR works, it rolls things opposite of how you might expect:

- First it rolls the rarity, figuring out if a white/magic/rare/unique is to drop
- Then it decides the type of item it drops

Likely if it is decided a unique, all the possible uniques to drop are chosen from at random, with weighting applies to each according to how rare the unique is... so Occulist Vestment would have two entries in the selection, one which has a much higher chance of being pulled than the other.
Designer of The Broken Crown
Designer of The Sigil Divination Card
https://www.reddit.com/user/ThisIsABuff/
"
cryptc wrote:
IIRC from older posts GGG made on how IIR works, it rolls things opposite of how you might expect:

- First it rolls the rarity, figuring out if a white/magic/rare/unique is to drop
- Then it decides the type of item it drops

Likely if it is decided a unique, all the possible uniques to drop are chosen from at random, with weighting applies to each according to how rare the unique is... so Occulist Vestment would have two entries in the selection, one which has a much higher chance of being pulled than the other.

This is how unique drops work.
IGN = Dellusions_Duelist
"
Mythicpoe wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
uniqe.

you're fired

"Out of every unique I found so far (20+) all of them are fucking junk to a point that even the vendor tells me to shove em up my ass." - DarkKane

"All hack'n'slash games are based on the carrot on the stick 'method', and in PoE's case the stick is so long I can't even see the carrot." - Odoakar
Last edited by Evlesoa on Oct 1, 2013, 12:00:16 PM
"
"
Malone wrote:
Does it mean that base item is decided before the rarity ? If I remember well, GGG staff said the contrary before...

No, the rarity is decided first using the method Mark described.

So what happens if a particular base item type has no unique? Not sure that's possible right now, but would that mean an automatic downgrade to rare or something?
A Belligerent Expert System
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
No, rarity is not a numerical value. There are four rarities in the game: Normal, Magic, Rare, and unique. "rarity" is not some hidden number that causes these and unspecified thresholds, it's simply the property of being one of these rarities. Unique is not an exception, it's a rarity like any other.
Any arbitrary drop has a certain chance to be upgraded to magic, any drop that does has anohter chance to upgrade to rare, and any rare drop then has another chance to upgrade to unique. IIR increases the first chance - the chance an item will drop as (at least) magic. By doing so, this has a knock-on effect on the other rarities - if twice as many items drop as at least magic, and N% of magics upgrade again to rare, then, twice as many items will drop as rare, since the same n% is applied to a greater number, and the same again for uniqe.

Hmm this is interesting to know. This means rarity isn't even that important for boss fights since they drop mostly blues already...
Last edited by haplessGOONtv on Oct 1, 2013, 12:40:42 PM
"
Rugs wrote:
how is what unique that drops affected by this? I mean is the difference in drop rates between say Voll's and Shavronnes only decided by the drop frequency of the base item.

Infernal Mantle is a rare roll, Shav's is an actual Unique roll. It's how they separate the OP from the pretty nice items.
Your RNGeesus is a false prophet
Did anyone ever figure out if individual monster affixes (bar wealth, obviously) affect item quantity and rarity in different amounts, similar to map affixes?
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Oct 1, 2013, 1:18:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info