New Trap Skill in 0.11.6

"
lukeiy wrote:
If it's a bunch of mini Piety balls, that would be even cooler.

That would be beyond awesome. I hate that skill, and would love using it to destroy things. :)
IGN : Jovial
so, this will be a new trap gem? Or adjusting the regular trap gem mechanics to fit with someone else (looking like spark)? Just double checking since it says 'skill'.
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
Last edited by Madcow1120 on Sep 11, 2013, 1:46:12 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
Galtrovan wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
while i absolutely like an addition to traps (hopefully after you fix traps, you will start tweaking totems as some of them *cough spork cough* are broken and some are very underwhelming) i'm sad to see that this is yet another elemental based skill that further and further positions phys melee on the dumpster of playstyles.

im sure that sporkers will like lightning-based trap - not that they'll have to tweak any skills or whatever - now instead of firetrap gimped by lack of passives theyll be able to use fully buffed trap to augment their easy mode characters.

why cant it be chaos-based skill?

I play self found and I can say one thing with certainty, dual totem with any skill, including spark, is not overpowered. It's the end-game uniques/perfect-roll-rares that I'll will never find on my own that make dual totem _anything_ overpowered, any build overpowered for that matter.

People need to quit complaining about the skills, because it's not the skills, it's the end-game items. You know, the equipment for which people are paying 30-60 exalts. I'm tired of the passive nodes and skills being nerfed due to items I'll never have. It's only the rich and/or no-life (they called themselves that) streamers with perfect equipment setups that are face rolling content. Me, I have yet to get past Barracks, Act 3 Merciless. My level 70 characters don't have the equipment to handle level 66 content, and this is including my dual totem spark Witch. Having said that, yes, she could move forward... if I threw a totem and skeletons at the edge of the screen, repeating the the process as inch may forward so as only to agro small groups of enemies I can handle, but that would be extremely slow, aggravating, and boring as hell. So, I'm stuck farming Docks, switching between my bow ranger, melee duelist, and my dual totem spark witch to alleviate boredom, hopping to one day hit the lottery so that I progress forward at a decent, fun, pace... preferably with my melee character.

Finally, for the people that have the time and/or trading skills to put together a perfect equipment setup, why shouldn't they be able to face roll the content? They put in the time and effort to obtain the equipment and these people are a very small percentage of the playerbase. We only know about them because they like to brag via streaming, and I for one could care less. I just want to be able to play and have fun myself, and again, am tired of the passive nodes and skills being looked to as the cause of the overpowered problems. All these nerfs do is make the game more difficult, less fun for us mortals. If GGG really wants to address overpowered characters, they need to look at and address the real source of the problem... the end-game items. People with too much life or energy shield, it's not the nodes, it's the ridiculous amounts of base life and energy shield provided by the end-game uniques and perect-roll rares. For example, Kaoms Heart +1000 life. iLvl 68+ gear with both +100 energy shield and +100% energy shield affixes. Acquire several of these rare, and yes, you will be overpowered. But it's the items not the passive nodes.

well.. sporker is an easy mode, because you CAN do what you described: slowly inch forward without any risk. because of no risk - get IIR/IIQ items. get good drops. get rich.

this is the main issue with sporker - no risk. you can get terribad gear, stack IIR/IIQ and clear content.

emphasis is on YOU CAN....

I don't call having to slowly inch forward "easy mode" or "without risk". If it were "easy mode" I wouldn't have to do it. And doing it is not "without risk" either. You throw a totem at the edge of your vision, you have no idea what you are going to agro/pull. It could be 3 to 5 enemies, or 30. And trust me, if you are having to inch forward slowly in 66 content because you don't have the gear to move any faster, not enough DPS, not enough ability to tank, you pull 10 or more enemies, you are going to wish you hadn't, and doing so could certainly get you killed.

Also, if you are the situation where you are not doing enough DPS and don't have enough tanking ability for your level, how exactly do you stack IIQ/IIR on your equipment? Your equipment is already not good enough, and you are supposed to make it worse by trying to add more IIQ/IIR? You are aware that in real magic finding, kill speed is major factor right?

Currently, my Witch can run through docks pretty quickly, but that depends on the spawns. Get a bunch of the multi-projectile, elemental breathing dogs, or multi-ice-shot archers...
"easy mode" my ass. "Easy Mode" is dropping your totems and not having to retreat or recast anything while everything falls over dead as you continue charging forward. Having to back-pedal/retreat while drinking mana potions as you recast totems and/or skeletons is not "easy mode".

I know. I need to get better gear. I'm trying, but the game never seems to want to 5 or 6 link my 6-socket armor. And my last attempt at it burned through 240 armor scraps and my remaining fusing orbs.... again. I wish the fusings would actually perform their function for once. I especially love it when I use a fusing and lose 20% quality and get ZERO linked sockets. That's the best.
Woo, Ball Lightning Traps.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
"
sidtherat wrote:

well.. sporker is an easy mode, because you CAN do what you described: slowly inch forward without any risk. because of no risk - get IIR/IIQ items. get good drops. get rich.

this is the main issue with sporker - no risk. you can get terribad gear, stack IIR/IIQ and clear content.

emphasis is on YOU CAN

I do play sporker and I'm by no means rich. This is a clear extremely common misconception that gets regurgitated 100x daily.

and I actually enjoy playing the spork witch. I find more enjoyment there (gameplay wise) than with my melee duelist.
Pacific (GMT -8) Time

"
I don't call having to slowly inch forward "easy mode" or "without risk". If it were "easy mode" I wouldn't have to do it. And doing it is not "without risk" either. You throw a totem at the edge of your vision, you have no idea what you are going to agro/pull. It could be 3 to 5 enemies, or 30. And trust me, if you are having to inch forward slowly in 66 content because you don't have the gear to move any faster, not enough DPS, not enough ability to tank, you pull 10 or more enemies, you are going to wish you hadn't, and doing so could certainly get you killed.

Also, if you are the situation where you are not doing enough DPS and don't have enough tanking ability for your level, how exactly do you stack IIQ/IIR on your equipment? Your equipment is already not good enough, and you are supposed to make it worse by trying to add more IIQ/IIR? You are aware that in real magic finding, kill speed is major factor right?

Currently, my Witch can run through docks pretty quickly, but that depends on the spawns. Get a bunch of the multi-projectile, elemental breathing dogs, or multi-ice-shot archers...
"easy mode" my ass. "Easy Mode" is dropping your totems and not having to retreat or recast anything while everything falls over dead as you continue charging forward. Having to back-pedal/retreat while drinking mana potions as you recast totems and/or skeletons is not "easy mode".

I know. I need to get better gear. I'm trying, but the game never seems to want to 5 or 6 link my 6-socket armor. And my last attempt at it burned through 240 armor scraps and my remaining fusing orbs.... again. I wish the fusings would actually perform their function for once. I especially love it when I use a fusing and lose 20% quality and get ZERO linked sockets. That's the best.

I did the whole 6L shav thing it's stupid easy modo. Everyone loves you cuz you clear mobs in 2-3 seconds, and with 6k+ ES you can do any map mod. I got to level 88 on Onslaught top 15 before dying to DC while doing some MF docks. Making money was easy just farming docks making about 1-5 exalt daily (depends on rares/currency drops) I would at least make 1 ex in pure currency drop.
Last edited by banes312 on Sep 11, 2013, 2:50:15 PM
Looks really cool, I can't wait to see what it really does :P
Ign - Nef_Reave
Will traps be actually VIABLE?
"
Orlpar wrote:
Will traps be actually VIABLE?

they already are... assuming you know how to use them. This new trap will simply add another dimension to them. Looking good GGG!
"
banes312 wrote:

"

I did the whole 6L shav thing it's stupid easy modo. Everyone loves you cuz you clear mobs in 2-3 seconds, and with 6k+ ES you can do any map mod. I got to level 88 on Onslaught top 15 before dying to DC while doing some MF docks. Making money was easy just farming docks making about 1-5 exalt daily (depends on rares/currency drops) I would at least make 1 ex in pure currency drop.

While I have no doubt having a 6-link Shav and multiple rares with dual energy shield affixes gives you 6K+ ES and makes you overpowered, and thus the game stupid easy.... it's the items that did this, not the passive tree and skills.

And while I'm here, I love how everyone trades in a currency item I have never seen drop in 2 years of off-and-on playing and that there are items out there going for 30 to 60 of them. Trading with Exalted Orbs in PoE reminds me of trading with High Runes in D2. How is it that an item with such a low drop rate is the standard currency with which people can spend 30 to 60 at a time? Anyone?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info