ELE LIGHTNING STRIKE - ALL T16s, Shaper, Uber Atziri, HOGM, Chayula, Elder

Thanks for your help and all the good tips :-)

I hope the ~800 ES from Aegis on every block smooths things out quite a bit and they're instant not over time like normal leech. It's an additional 800point life buffer against 1-shots which at my current state is a huge 20% increase of effective hit points. Even if I do not hit max leech with my current dps, leech seems too slow. I can not regenerate enough life between hits in situations like the Jungle Vally boss room. Evasion is very spiky, whereas mitigation is way more predictable and the chance of getting 1-shot seems a lot smaller. As you probably found out already I do not have a lot of 70+ map experience. This is only my 2nd build which allows me to surpass the 10k dps mark. The biggest problem with self-found is finding good weapons and so far I found only the dagger linked below and a phys bow that allow me to enter early end-game. Good daggers are especially rare due to the huge pool of prefixes and suffixes. On the other hand I had some good luck with unique drops. I'm also limited to 5L. You can see now that 34k is actually a lot for me.

Here's my best dagger (~ dps seems very close to Bino's):

The empty socket is reserved for Vaal Grace which unfortunately did not yet drop for me.

My current tree: @level 73

I more or less followed your guide except that I took all the life, mana regen and INT nodes first. From here on it's only damage but I suspect I will not reach 80k with my current dagger. Cross your fingers for an upgrade to drop :-)

You don't have to be sorry. I've a lot of fun playing this build. Probably I also push things too hard right now doing 73 maps at level 73 with suboptimal gear. On the other hand anything below 70 is no challenge at all except for double Merv of course ;-) I simply hit a wall and will only be able to push forward once I pass the gear check. It's the same with all ARPGs.
Last edited by fae76 on May 5, 2015, 6:18:20 PM
Ive been looking for a new miles build to test on beta and play in the new leagues after the expansion, unfortunately I don't have much time for theory crafting. Was wondering if you have a rough build I could test in the next wipe in the closed beta?
It's been some time since I've played lightning strike, though I did love it long ago :)
"
JeremCom wrote:
I run my own version of the themes of your build, claw-based and no uniques, that doesn't scale nearly as much damage as yours. I haven't died yet up to level 73, but my life globe completely empties out about every 10 minutes it seems. I'm only at 3.5k life and I haven't done any maps over 69 yet. I can't imagine my goal of 4k making a major difference as I push up to higher levels. All I know is I've been using enfeeble for the first time since Nemesis.

Physical damage is the main culprit. It's a little strong and they might drop it over the course of the beta. If not, I'll have to push for 5k life instead. I almost never get stunned with my live characters, but with this damage it seems every little hit stuns me despite Heart of Oak's best efforts.

I'm using an ice golem currently, but I'd rather not. I've slapped greater and lesser projectiles and blind on him and that works pretty well, but as soon as I get the gems I want and the proper sockets he's gone.

I'm not too impressed with Abyssal Cry. The shout radius is incredibly small and the things it kill were going to die pretty quick anyway. However, Rallying Cry has been pretty fun. It only gives "increased" damage, so if you've already piled a lot of that off the tree the effect gets watered down. However the majority of my damage, and I think this will be true with yours as well, is mostly attack speed, crit, flat physical on gear, and elemental that scales off of physical. The effect is a lot bigger that way. Using it on just one monster boosts my damage by about 5%. But it's got a very large radius and a room full of monsters have given me up to 20% extra damage.

While leveling up, I played around with Innervate and Ice Bite as well. Innervate gives the linked attack 10% chance to shock and grants onslaught when you kill a shocked enemy. Possibly due to a bug, it doesn't trigger on shattered enemies right now though, and with hatred running that's a no go. Ice Bite gives a 10% chance to freeze and a chance of a frenzy charge on killing a frozen enemy. With the new updated frenzy charges, it was a nice boost. I could easily rework my build to cap out at 6 charges. But I'd still be wasting a support slot (and four passives) for an inconsistent 24% more damage and increased attack speed.

All three of these skills are powerful against large groups of enemies, but are pretty weak against bosses. As it is, I'll probably work rallying cry into my final build, but the others don't really synergize enough with what I have.

While Lightning Strike still gets blocked by obstacles, it and arctic breath were mentioned when glacial cascade's changes were made. It's still probable that'll change over time.

Also I always had a trick for the Jungle Valley boss, though it might not be enough for the new 74 version. I'd just find a little indention in the wall and put my back into it. Only two or three spiders can get to you at a time that way and the burst damage drops quite a bit. As long as the new version doesn't kill me in one hit anyway.

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing your beta experience. Without Bringer of Rain it is hard because the blind helps so much. Unfortunately for me to test the full build in beta I need to find all the gear and it is impossible for me to get the gear in-between all the wipes.
"
fae76 wrote:
Thanks for your help and all the good tips :-)

I hope the ~800 ES from Aegis on every block smooths things out quite a bit and they're instant not over time like normal leech. It's an additional 800point life buffer against 1-shots which at my current state is a huge 20% increase of effective hit points. Even if I do not hit max leech with my current dps, leech seems too slow. I can not regenerate enough life between hits in situations like the Jungle Vally boss room. Evasion is very spiky, whereas mitigation is way more predictable and the chance of getting 1-shot seems a lot smaller. As you probably found out already I do not have a lot of 70+ map experience. This is only my 2nd build which allows me to surpass the 10k dps mark. The biggest problem with self-found is finding good weapons and so far I found only the dagger linked below and a phys bow that allow me to enter early end-game. Good daggers are especially rare due to the huge pool of prefixes and suffixes. On the other hand I had some good luck with unique drops. I'm also limited to 5L. You can see now that 34k is actually a lot for me.

Here's my best dagger (~ dps seems very close to Bino's):

The empty socket is reserved for Vaal Grace which unfortunately did not yet drop for me.

My current tree: @level 73

I more or less followed your guide except that I took all the life, mana regen and INT nodes first. From here on it's only damage but I suspect I will not reach 80k with my current dagger. Cross your fingers for an upgrade to drop :-)

You don't have to be sorry. I've a lot of fun playing this build. Probably I also push things too hard right now doing 73 maps at level 73 with suboptimal gear. On the other hand anything below 70 is no challenge at all except for double Merv of course ;-) I simply hit a wall and will only be able to push forward once I pass the gear check. It's the same with all ARPGs.

Yes armor vs evasion has been debated many times. However I still think evasion with blind is the way to go. Aegis Aurora is nice but you can duplicate the same thing by getting high enough leech or going for Vaal Pact. Aegis does not refill that much, it is only 2% of your armor per block. To constantly refill 800ES you will need ~40k armor.

Still - the problems you mentioned are one-shot so again I don't think Aegis will help much in that regard.

Sounds to me what you are looking for is a solid tank build - you will need to stack more life (belly of the beast etc), and get more defense mechanics.

Check the Duelist and Marauder forums. Unfortunately this build was never made to function as a "tank" to soak incoming damage - it plays like an agile high-damage character but very evasive with potential to scale very well as mosnter damage gets higher and higher. Unfortunately without high enough damage on LS (to shock and freeze) then it does not function that well and you will not get the best experience with this build.
Last edited by Ceryneian on May 6, 2015, 9:48:17 AM
"
Ive been looking for a new miles build to test on beta and play in the new leagues after the expansion, unfortunately I don't have much time for theory crafting. Was wondering if you have a rough build I could test in the next wipe in the closed beta?
It's been some time since I've played lightning strike, though I did love it long ago :)

The tree hasn't changed that much, so I would just try to follow that in beta. I'm sure the build works well however you may need to NOT take Ondar's Guile.

Unfortunately I have little motivation to play the beta because they are doing frequent wipes so there is no way for me to find all the necessary gear to test the high-end maps and bosses with this build. I also want to test a variation with Vigilant Strike.

I think all the war cries are a bit useless but try putting Fortify linked with Reckoning. Ice golem or chaos golem is good to use and can help you apply blind.

Keep your eye out for Intuitive Leap which may become a key jewel for this build allowing you to grab Phase Acro and bypass Acro and the block penalty on Acro.
Last edited by Ceryneian on May 6, 2015, 9:46:30 AM
Fae - you read Kingkiller Chronicles by the way? (i.e. The Name of the Wind?)
No, I don't know Kingkiller Chonicles, but I will have a look at it. Why do you ask? I do read a lot of fantasy mostly Forgotten Realms.

The current version of Aegis has 2% leech. I'm lucky enough to own a legacy version with 4% leech. As for the 1-shots, right now I'm sitting at 3.5k HP. You have 4k with real end-game gear and don't get 1-shot. It seems that I'm lacking around 500 HP to solve my problem. Aegis would provide exactly that in form of ES that regenerates during combat and the armor mitigation further lowers the damage taken from the big hits. Even if mitigation is bad on big hits, even taking off 200-300 HP could save my toon. On the other hand instead of investing the points towards the IR build I could as well simply invest them into more life and try to get to 4k HP that way.

I will level some more and if my problems persist I will just try the Aegis version and since I have the gear your quad version as well. I will post feedback once I have the experience.

I'm not looking for a tank build. I prefer agility & tactics over brute force as well hence I mostly play rangers in d&d as well ;-) My last 5 poe builds are all evasion based too. I mostly used dual curses (Enfeeble + Temp Chains) + Blind as defense layers but I always got busted by Spells. This brought me to your build.
Last edited by fae76 on May 6, 2015, 11:52:56 AM
"
fae76 wrote:
No, I don't know Kingkiller Chonicles, but I will have a look at it. Why do you ask? I do read a lot of fantasy mostly Forgotten Realms.

The current version of Aegis has 2% leech. I'm lucky enough to own a legacy version with 4% leech. As for the 1-shots, right now I'm sitting at 3.5k HP. You have 4k with real end-game gear and don't get 1-shot. It seems that I'm lacking around 500 HP to solve my problem. Aegis would provide exactly that in form of ES that regenerates during combat and the armor mitigation further lowers the damage taken from the big hits. Even if mitigation is bad on big hits, even taking off 200-300 HP could save my toon. On the other hand instead of investing the points towards the IR build I could as well simply invest them into more life and try to get to 4k HP that way.

I will level some more and if my problems persist I will just try the Aegis version and since I have the gear your quad version as well. I will post feedback once I have the experience.

I'm not looking for a tank build. I prefer agility & tactics over brute force as well hence I mostly play rangers in d&d as well ;-) My last 5 poe builds are all evasion based too. I mostly used dual curses (Enfeeble + Temp Chains) + Blind as defense layers but I always got busted by Spells. This brought me to your build.

It is fantasy - but quite interesting. The magic system is about being able to use the true names of things like stone, wind, fire, etc. The Fae is one of the key places in the book.

Anyway, let me know how it works out.
My apologies if I missed this being discussed earlier in the thread. I perused it a bit but couldn't find anything. What are your thoughts on gearing this on a new league without access to legacy BoR? Does the nerfed faster casting and block chance mean that there are better options out there? I'm a fairly new player and playing on the new flashback league and I absolutely love the build so far but losing the higher gem level on faster attacks (compared to a 5 or 6link that is) and the entire chest slot without gaining the extra block seems not overly worth it to me.
Last edited by Apocalypse2all on May 12, 2015, 1:52:36 PM
hi there cery !

i always liked this build and the way you managed to keep this build and style of play through countless patches, buffs and a lot of nerfs.

i just wanted to share in this post the build i tried in the beta which is lightning strike :) (obvious) with dual claws. i started as a duelist because i initially wanted to try a 2h life flicker build. However because i had limited time and trading in beta is dead (almost self found) i decided to switch to claws.

offence stats
Spoiler

defense
Spoiler

ls dps
Spoiler

cyclone dps
Spoiler

weapons
Spoiler

jewels used
Spoiler

the links are:
ls-multistrike-melee phys damage-physical projectile ad-weapon elemental damage
cyclone-fortify-melee phys damage-added fire damage
ice golem-fortify-end charge on melee stun
hatred + herald of ash
blood rage
The main problems playing the build were:
- the high as hell requirements for int of the claws
- the lack of gems (cause of the beta realm)
- ice golem is squishy and dies very fast. i will try to get minion life gem or other supports. it also has a stupid ai getting all the time in the middle of all packs
- no way to run grace and hatred.....cause of the reduced reserved mana changes.....i was forced to take herald of ash
- warcries and enduring cry.. you need to cast them allllll the time... and the buffs they provide are not really powerful
- desync is still in the beta... lets hope det lockstep comes faster...
- location of some jewel nodes on the tree is realy stupid..some are gated behind 3 nodes (4% proj damage ????) + the jewel slot itself; also the jewels now are broken because of their mods (aka no synergy )

edit: small crappy clip with build in a random map
Spoiler
https://youtu.be/G28WbgDyP2A
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1462987
Last edited by azamantes on May 12, 2015, 2:11:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info