:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

"
FCK42 wrote:
Honestly, the primary reason why I prefer subbed anime over dubbed anime is because more often than not, to me, it feels like the voices of the dub just don't fit the characters.

And while yes, anime does have it's roots in manga most of the time, that is not always the case. Quite a few are visual novel or light novel adaptations. In case of the former, sound can be incredibly important to convey the mood of a scene, while for the latter neither visuals nor audio matters.

Anime is not an entirely visual medium. It's an audio-visual one. If either of the elements is done poorly, it can have disastrous effects for the final product.

Of course, but that wasnt the question. As I said sound can support & heighten the experience, but I cannot fathom how sound alone would surpass the artwork itself.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
This is a pointless argument typical of bored Exiles who just like to argue for the shit of it and you all know it. Stop being bored. Let's not make this AST. Not with such a stacked season, anyway.

__

Blasted through Appare Ranman this weekend. Oh boy that was a sleeper hit and no doubt. I saw one reviewer put it on the same shelf as Granbelm and Planet With in that regard, and I have to agree. Absolutely excellent work by PA, especially after their sketchy Fairy Gone (which I still really enjoyed, and don't much care who disagrees; second KnOWname OP was a banger). Great animation, great voice work, AWESOME soundtrack by rising star Evan Call. Wacky Races meets Jules Verne. Bloody great fun.

Wandering Witch continues its journey through almost infuriating passivism. Hers is to witness, not to interfere. It's almost like Starfleet's Prime Directive.

Taiso Samurai is yet another MAPPA gem. No doubt it'll sit in Jujutsu's shadow but still, quality so far. Atsuko Tanaka in Gintama's Otose mode is delightful.

Tonikawa is a LOT funnier than I was expecting. Between it, Sleepy Princess and The Day I Became a God, we have our quality weekly comedy fill.

No need to mention Nana. It's doing what it does.

Gave Moriarty a go. Stylish. Interesting follow-up to Kabukicho Sherlock.

Lily continues its inexorable march to Madoka territory.

Adachi to Shimamura is the dark horse of the season for me. Slow, heartfelt, and...really bizarre. Lily wears its yuri on its weaponised sleeve; Adachi to Shimamura just sort of takes it for granted. I find the latter superior.

Akudama Drive SHOULD be the dark horse (a cyberpunk tarantino-inspired heist series by Pierrot!?) but I think it's actually a fairly clear winner with its relentless commitment to a certain pop aesthetic we don't see much these days.

For some reason, the GF's favourite this season is Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear. I'm not NOT enjoying it but...I can't quite get a bead on it yet.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Oct 18, 2020, 9:11:58 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
^ where the fuck have u been lol?

Also the answer to your question isnt even hard.

Its ALWAYS the artwork. For anything. Sound can support and heighten the experience of the art, but never replace or supercede it.

Having someone describe the Sisten Chapel, or the Mona Lisa so you can "imagine" its greatest versus seeing it with your own eyes isnt a debate.

Now perhaps we could get into literature or books being better than their movie counterparts, but that is an entirely different conversation regarding a visual medium.

I’ve been busy with school, virtual stuff is annoying and since I purchased a home off grid, "somewhat," internet sucks... Trying to be one with nature LOL... Internet just sucks when off grid. But the upside same 10 cases of Covid in this part of town since March. I literally hauled ass... Thankfully I didn’t get into a bidding war. I highly recommend for everyone to buy a home a little bit off grid it’s amazing.

@fck42 I still highly believe sound is going to make or break an Anime.

@Happy We all know you love your audio, bored always buy don’t I make fun? ^.^

Edit; P.S Hope y’all doing well hugs. I’m trying to keep my sanity whatever is left of it...
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Oct 19, 2020, 12:50:33 AM
This season, day-by-day (Australian time):

Murder Monday
Sleepy Tuesday
Not-really Wednesday
Gentle Thirst-day
THICC Thigh-day
Holy Sakugaday
Actually Wednesday
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Damn... Mappa's doing some really insane stuff with Jujutsu Kaisen. They've done absolutely amazing work there. It's an incredibly good adaptation, leaves out almost nothing and has just jaw dropping animation to back that up.

For some reason the opening gave me some serious Fate vibes... might've been the animation, it really does feel quite similar to Ufotable's at points.

Just in case some of you aren't watching it, do give it a try if in any way possible. It's probably one of, if not THE best of this season.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
I've finally found the courage to start Kamisama ni Natta Hi. I mean, I kinda knew what I was gonna get myself into, it bung a Jun Maeda anime and all, but I really don't like where it's going at the moment (in the best kind of way). I get the feeling that it'll reduce me to a bawling pile of emotions sooner or later.

To me it kinda gives off similar vibes as...
...Plastic Memories. And boy did that show destroy me. I'm (kinda, kinda not) looking forward to what it'll hit us with.
It hasn't hit either of us the way PM did yet. It's a decent enough show allowing Hanae Natsuki to go full freak-out mode on the regular, but I think the tonal dissonance is a little too much to grab us the way stuff like PM or Hyouka did.

I'm enjoying Jujutsu Kaisen more than Kimetsu no Yaiba so far. Stellar cast, Mappa at the top of their game giving it to ufotable on every conceivable front, and more engaging setting, at least for me. I'm so glad they gave Sunghoo Park a project worth of his talents after the inevitable crash and burn of God of High School due to crap source material.

Sigrdrifa is your typical A-1 sakuga trove with unexpected moments of glory wrapped up in fan service and baffling world building. Absolutely killer ending too.

Tonikawa wins OP of the season, easily.

Golden Kamuy has gone from meh to good to straight-up great. Each week is a highlight of great storytelling, revelations and humour. TsudaKen's a busy boy this season, playing a psychopath in possibly three shows, but his Ogata is still memorable.

Magatsu is the season's Fairy Gone. Very mature themes from an unknown IP executed unevenly but consistently in its own way. Yokoyama 'Apocrypha' Masaru's OST is typically excellent.

KimiSen is Sliverlink trash all the way but it has moments.

Kuma4 is your CGDBearT.

Moriarty the Patriot is a HUGE sleeper. Kabukicho Sherlock and Moriarty make for an interesting reflection of each other as Production IG tackle essentially the same story from two sides.

Sleepy Princess is far, far better than it has any right to be. Takes a basic premise and runs with it with a giant pair of scissors in its hands.

Taisou Samurai is a close runner up for best opening thanks to a superior cover of Shanghai Honey. Some of the CG gymnastics is dodgy but when Mappa commit to the 2D, it's almost Yuri-level gorgeous.

Assault Lily has also had some dodgy CG but it also has some of the best fighting sakuga we've seen from Shaft for a while. The most recent episode was a jaw-dropper.

Dragon Quest Dai is *awesome* shounen fun.

AdachiMura is the gayest weekly anime we've ever watched and we love it. Wholesomely frustrating though.

Elaina is divisive with its tonal whiplash but as an anthology show showing an aloof observer being slowly drawn into using her powers to help people (and dealing with the consequences), it's solid. Also, after the middling but potentially good Harukana Receive, it shows that C2C studio has the chops to do pretty big things.

We've already covered Nana, and won't return to that as a point of discussion.

So...It's a quietly stacked season...

But Akudama Drive is probably anime of the season for us. Pierrot of all the studios giving us a slick as fuck mix of heist movie, suicide squad, psycho pass and Akira. Ogata Megumi getting to play an actual grown woman is a delight (although sometimes you still hear Shinji or Hanako kun), Sakurai in full crazypants mode, and Umehara 'Sou ka?' Yuichirou doing his thing. Unfortunately it's censored at times, and as such it has become the first 'must buy anime bluray' for me since Blade of the Immortal, and even that was mostly just to support Lidenfilm's underdog attempt at correcting Bee-Train's cockup.

__

Outside of the seasonal stuff, I just ordered the last chunk of Dragonball Super episodes on bluray (collection 3) and look forward to rewatching that without the streaming quality. They did a really good job cleaning up the earlier episodes and the later ones were much better.

Also added a few blurays to our almost complete Monogatari set. Still missing a few from season 2...

Oh, and finally started Great Pretender. Netflix's subs are fucking atrocious but the show itself is a blast.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 2, 2020, 9:02:48 PM
...Holy shit this is a crazy season. And we're not even watching AoT yet -- stopped after 1 season, knowing it'd be a marathon at some point. Same with re: Zero.

Let's see how many shows we're watching I can name off the top of my head so far:

1. Sk8 the infinity (Bones+ over the top skateboarding=YES)

2. Promised Neverland s2 (Duh)

3. I'm a spider, so what? (Aoi Yuuki carries this one, but glad to see Milpense of 'Copcraft' get a boost)

4. Jobless Reincarnation (Sugita all the way down, and utterly GORGEOUS animation from a studio formed by White Fox specifically for the show)

5. Last Dungeon (Like Wise Grandfather's Child, only far better...Lidenfilms 1)

6. Otherside Picnic (Yuri sci-fi/supernatural?!...Lidenfilms 2)

7. Hortensia Saga (Decent straight-up fantasy mobage adaptation with an appropriately high end cast...Lidenfilms 3...)

8. Cells at Work Code Black (Lidenfilms 4...and Tsuda Kenjirou delivering just plain bad health trauma. Incredibly layered commentary on poor Japanese working lifestyle)

9. Cells At Work s2 (pure fucking relief after Black)

10. Yuru Camp s2 (IYASHIKEEEEEI)

11. Dungeon only I can enter (straight-up ecchi fantasy with a humorous conceit)

12. Uma Musume s2 (The horse girls are back!)

13. Heaven's Design team (because animals are weird)

14. Kemono Jihen (Your obligatory decent quality Japanese mythology shounen series)

15. Horimiya (KareKano but...even better?)

16. Slime s2 (Of course)

17. Wonder Egg Priority (Cloverworks yet again burying the A-1 stigma)

18. Back Arrow (the most Trigger show that never was, written by the dude behind Guren Lagann, Promare and Kill la Kill...with Code Geass' director on board)

19. 2.43 (David Pro doing volleyball; far more dramatic and grounded than Haikyu)

20. Dr. Stone: Stone Wars

21. Quintessential Quintuplets s2

And none of those are the anticipated hits of the season, being of course Mappa's AoT finale and Re Zero s2 p2. And then there are the curious returns of World Trigger and Log Horizon, the former I've not seen and the latter we devoured back in the day.

Gonna be a banger of a season, that's for sure.
My personal Highlight of the season is easily Log Horizon. Though Jobless Reincarnation just oozes quality. Great source material and apparently even greater adaptation.

Then again, I was looking forward to HoriMiya a fair bit as well. I think it's among the best of it's genre (something something opinion), I'm quite happy it finally got a proper adaptation.
We started the SnK rewatch tonight. Log Horizon next, but both need to be caught up. So...can't comment on LH yet other than it has Jouji in nyan mode so yeah, winner.

Amused at the hissy fits being thrown over at ANN about Jobless. Not a single one of them mentioned it was Sugita, i.e basically Gintoki. Of course there's some internal lewding. Their loss.

That said, I will avoid redo of healer. No seiyuu of note, sketchy premise and a no name studio. No thanks. Some compare it to the masterpiece Interspecies Reviewers buuuut...yeahnah.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info