:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

Warlords of Sigrdifa wasn't really on our radar but A-1 doing a mix of Kotobuki, Tanya and Strike Witches is strangely enjoyable. Also, surprising amount of 2-D vehicles. And since it has at least some Kaguya staff on-board, the character animation is just flex after flex. Also, the trio of 'normal' pilots as the Valkyries' commentary source is so damn meta it's not funny. Well, it is funny, but also kind of not.

But the one show you can't miss this season, the one you probably wouldn't even notice, is Talentless Nana. I will say no more. Just watch the first episode.

__

On a completely different page, the GF wanted to give Tsukuyomi MoonPhase another go. Apparently she tried to watch it when it came out, and was...unlearned in the ways of Shaft and of Shinbo. It's pretty Zetsubou but it definitely has Shinbo's fingerprints all over it. He was reluctant to be too heavy-handed, since it's Moe and he wasn't familiar with the genre (he cut his teeth animating the Dark Tournament Arc of Yu Yu Hakusho, and then Metal Fighter Miku) but the mangaka asked him to do so nonetheless. The shared lead seiyuu with a certain other big Shaft work is hard to miss:

Kamiya Hiroshi (Araragi)
Saito Chiwa (Senjougahara)
Sakurai Takahiro (Meme)

Pretty fun stuff, and definitely well animated for its time (2004). A pity pretty much everything made then was afflicted with this weird DVD-era soft filter.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Oct 5, 2020, 9:43:55 PM
I've seen Tsukuyomi MoonPhase a while back. That show was... shaft. Very much so. The opening alone is enough to make one say that.

I read a bit of the manga of Talentless Nana some time ago. I didn't really like the premise of it to be honest. I might give the anime a shot, but I'm not expecting anything that'd blow me away.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Oh, if you've read the manga, don't bother. You already know what's what. I should have known better, honestly. I'm probably the only anime-only around here. ^_^
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I can't overstate how fun and relaxing Maoujou de Oyasumi is. If you can, give it a try. Seriously.
It's the As Miss Beelzebub Likes It of the season.

Had a heated conversation with a friend over a simple question: here's the question:

What do you think is more important; the animation or the audio/music in a(n) Anime.

My answer was the audio/music, I can name a plethora of Anime with amazing animations while the audio/music destroyed perfectly good, said Anime.

I would say a beautiful harmonic example of Anime in both audio and visuals would be our, "Ghost in the Shell."

His argument was, "so you're telling me if you were hard of hearing you would blatantly consider an Anime subpar?"

My response was, "I don't do hypotheticals, I'm not hard of hearing... You're scapegoating the question to fill your "point."

Edit: My response was ambiguous at best, but lets look at how our minds can illustrate characters and settings in our minds. Take audio books for example... I am a firm believer the best Animations come from our imaginations.

Like a cookie, it can look so delicious, but if that crunch isn't there....
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Oct 18, 2020, 4:32:17 PM
^ where the fuck have u been lol?

Also the answer to your question isnt even hard.

Its ALWAYS the artwork. For anything. Sound can support and heighten the experience of the art, but never replace or supercede it.

Having someone describe the Sisten Chapel, or the Mona Lisa so you can "imagine" its greatest versus seeing it with your own eyes isnt a debate.

Now perhaps we could get into literature or books being better than their movie counterparts, but that is an entirely different conversation regarding a visual medium.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Oct 18, 2020, 6:09:59 PM
"
solwitch wrote:
Had a heated conversation with a friend over a simple question: here's the question:

What do you think is more important; the animation or the audio/music in a(n) Anime.

My answer was the audio/music, I can name a plethora of Anime with amazing animations while the audio/music destroyed perfectly good, said Anime.

I would say a beautiful harmonic example of Anime in both audio and visuals would be our, "Ghost in the Shell."

His argument was, "so you're telling me if you were hard of hearing you would blatantly consider an Anime subpar?"

My response was, "I don't do hypotheticals, I'm not hard of hearing... You're scapegoating the question to fill your "point."

Edit: My response was ambiguous at best, but lets look at how our minds can illustrate characters and settings in our minds. Take audio books for example... I am a firm believer the best Animations come from our imaginations.

Like a cookie, it can look so delicious, but if that crunch isn't there....

I'd say sound is far more important a lot of the time. The visuals can be fairly subpar and people won't care much if the sound design is on point. True, better visuals make it a better experience, but the sound can make or break an anime. Though there are exceptions, One Punch Man season 2 for example. The sound design was (at least to me) not THAT much worse than the first season, but my god did they butcher the animation.

I guess it really depends, but the moment something that needs sound to be conveyed fully is involved, the sound becomes significantly more important than the visuals. Also, remember that one time they tried changing the shatter sound in PoE? That didn't go too well, now did it.

In case you need more examples of brilliant animation with audio of the same quality, I'd say Katanagatari, Demon Slayer, Made in Abyss and any of the newer works of Makoto Shinkai. Also, Fate. Because Fate (and Studio Ufotable).

Last but not least, if I were hard of hearing, then I wouldn't be able to appreciate anime nearly as much. On the other hand, if I had significantly impaired vision, I could probably still enjoy it quite a lot. And if I were blind, the only option I'd have would be audio anyways.

^ that's insanity imo. But I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Anime has its roots in comics and from drawing evolving over time as a means of expression through artwork.

Having someone describe art to you, or just using sound without seeing is vastly different than being able to see it and then interrupt sounds or conversations.

I'm shocked that people actually would even debate this tbh, but wow I suppose agree to disagree
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Oct 18, 2020, 5:55:52 PM
Honestly, the primary reason why I prefer subbed anime over dubbed anime is because more often than not, to me, it feels like the voices of the dub just don't fit the characters.

And while yes, anime does have it's roots in manga most of the time, that is not always the case. Quite a few are visual novel or light novel adaptations. In case of the former, sound can be incredibly important to convey the mood of a scene, while for the latter neither visuals nor audio matters.

Anime is not an entirely visual medium. It's an audio-visual one. If either of the elements is done poorly, it can have disastrous effects for the final product.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info