:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

I saw the last episode of Deca-Dence today... well that was a ride and a half of a series. Absolutely fantastic from beginning to end. One of the most unique anime series I've ever seen (in terms of being unique in the setting about on par with suisei no gargantia). It had more than a few twists, but damn if they weren't great in the end. Stunning visuals, amazing soundtrack, a use of CGI effects that make perfect sense and in theory even have an in-universe explanation... I highly recommend watching it.

"
Might be a fun way to kill a handful of hours for the local weebs, delighting in seeing some of the coolest killing shit in pop culture brought to life by skilled smiths.

If you haven't yet, definitely watch their video about the Kill la Kill Scissor blade. They're taking that one quite literally. i haven't watched a lot of em lately, but I personally think that their earlier seasons of stuff were more entertaining than the newer ones. At one point it was just "Plasma cut it out, grind it down, heat-treat and temper it, paint it, put some decoration on and done." I much prefer the ones where they're actually forging the blades themselves, but I can roughly estimate just how much more work that is.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
FCK42 wrote:

"
Might be a fun way to kill a handful of hours for the local weebs, delighting in seeing some of the coolest killing shit in pop culture brought to life by skilled smiths.

If you haven't yet, definitely watch their video about the Kill la Kill Scissor blade. They're taking that one quite literally. i haven't watched a lot of em lately, but I personally think that their earlier seasons of stuff were more entertaining than the newer ones. At one point it was just "Plasma cut it out, grind it down, heat-treat and temper it, paint it, put some decoration on and done." I much prefer the ones where they're actually forging the blades themselves, but I can roughly estimate just how much more work that is.

Ilya is a fucking beast. We first saw him on Forged in Fire. We moved to That Works after he left Man At Arms.

Spoiler
His Kenshin sakabatou was nuts, but the Kuromukuro sword PA works commisioned from him was next level tamahagane shit. That said, what he did for EKUSUKARIBAAAA! was easily my favourite work. Got me teary eyed to see so talented a smith go so hard and deep on Fate lore.

Also spotting his anime shirts is fun.

I loved how he told everyone, no, Im not making Archer's Swords, Im doing Jeanne's lance, too fucking bad. Like, damn.

all nerdery aside, i think their best work was actually a sponsored sword for some crappy mobile game, also called Excalibur. The engraving was insane.

Soul Edge/Calibur was also bonkers. Great Sword of Artorias. Shit even the Last Knight sword was beautiful.

We are all caught up but for the latest ep, Glamdring.

The really early man at arms was mostly cutting too. And post ilya reforged is too. I was so disappointed in their Amalur greatsword. So...yeah, ilya is the man.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
I'll get the chance to watch Made in Abyss: Dawn of the deep soul in a cinema nearby next week. German dub, but for this series it actually seems really ok. Which is fairly surprising to me, since most German dubs are... not ideal to put it lightly. I've been waiting for that one for quite a while now... I just hope it's as good or even better than the rest of the series.
they have finally pulled the plug on horrible subs, so it looks like either subbing to crunchy/funnimation or waiting to see if a decent sub group picks up any of the new season anime
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
they have finally pulled the plug on horrible subs, so it looks like either subbing to crunchy/funnimation or waiting to see if a decent sub group picks up any of the new season anime

Friend of mine's an official translator, so he had a small party when he read this news. Horriblesubs have done a lot of decent work over the years but their time has past, and their attitude towards the industry is...horribly contentious. Legal streaming is ridiculously affordable now and pretty much anything worth watching season-to-season gets some sort of global licensing. And a lot of shit not worth watching...GIBIATE FOR GOD'S SAKE.

__

Burn The Witch was lovely. Very much looking forward to seeing what Tite Kubo's got cooking. This was our first official Colorido outing. Yep, still haven't even seen Penguin Highway.

__

Okay, so I never caught the Higurashi train when it first rode, and I know Netflix don't have 'Kai', the all-important second season, so yeah, I totally gave Passione's reboot a try. You can tell it's from a VN a mile away. I'm not hooked but I will be watching week to week. It's well-animated and well-regarded. What can go wrong? I just hope it doesn't shit the bed the way Mirai Nikki did.

__

We were going to skip Lily but upon learning it's Shaft, well, that's out of the question now.

__

Finally got around to Goblin's Crown. Disappointing, really. Structurally it's what you'd expect: 25% or so recap, the rest original content. But we are so hungry for more Goblin Slayer that this was pretty much a tease of an effort. Amused that they got a top tier seiyuu for the incomprehensible bad guy though. Sasuga White Fox.

__

Mr Love remains our sleeper of the season. Nothing amazing but MAPPA took that Chinese cash and made something very competent. That said, I want to go back and do Appare because it's been put on the same sleeper shelf as Granbelm and Planet With. Mighty words indeed.

__

We'll also go back and do Fire Force s2, ReZero s2, and I suppose SNAFU s1-3, given we only got six eps in before being distracted.

__

The news that 5brides will be finished production before it even airs is very promising indeed. A new slew of figures from goodsmile made clear that this one was coming back soon enough.

__

Reddit and ANN seem to agree that Rent-A-Girlfriend was trash (with reddit loving that, and ANN crying about it), but we enjoyed it. Aoi Yuki was, as usual, the highlight.

__

I have almost finished a super casual 'while I eat' FateGo: Babylonia rewatch. That show was just too much for a single viewing, week to week. It marathons beautifully.

Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Okay, already off to a good start!

As suspected, Lily is pretty much Symphogear+Starlight by way of Shaft. Easy keeper.

Elaina MIGHT be one of the best starts I've seen to a show, ever. Flying Witch, LWA, Mushishi...but with a stronger, more focused set-up than any of those. C2C have never really impressed me but this looked top tier.

Finally, Jujutsu Kaisen is exactly as good as the hype indicated. ANOTHER Mappa banger, with the director of the ill-fated God of High School doing what seems to be a mix of Fate, Kekkai Sensen, and I dunno what else. Clearly some Bleach influence, possibly a little Naruto. But mentioning either of those sidesteps how grisly and horrific the occult undertone really is. A lot of sakuga flex, but also a lot of humour and heart. This one's the Kimetsu no Yaiba of the season.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Oct 3, 2020, 8:52:37 PM
There's a bunch of other good sub groups, horrible subs were ok (not great not bad just ok). nyaa.si almost always has a anime ready to torrent in 1080p from a good sub group.
"
Okay, already off to a good start!

As suspected, Lily is pretty much Symphogear+Starlight by way of Shaft. Easy keeper.

Elaina MIGHT be one of the best starts I've seen to a show, ever. Flying Witch, LWA, Mushishi...but with a stronger, more focused set-up than any of those. C2C have never really impressed me but this looked top tier.

Finally, Jujutsu Kaisen is exactly as good as the hype indicated. ANOTHER Mappa banger, with the director of the ill-fated God of High School doing what seems to be a mix of Fate, Kekkai Sensen, and I dunno what else. Clearly some Bleach influence, possibly a little Naruto. But mentioning either of those sidesteps how grisly and horrific the occult undertone really is. A lot of sakuga flex, but also a lot of humour and heart. This one's the Kimetsu no Yaiba of the season.

Sounds like there's some really good stuff this season, I completely forgot that it's already started.
From what you said there, I will likely give all 3 of those a try. Damn, none of them had even been on my radar so far...

That said, I'm very much looking forward to the new Log Horizon season that's supposed to come out this season aswell, I just hope they don't fuck it up.

Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul was amazing. I got to see it on the big screen, which is absolutely what it was made for, but either way it's worth watching. No recap, no filler, just straight up continuation of the story. And my god what a story it is. I already knew what was going to happen from the manga, but seeing it animated (and more importantly, with sound added to it)? It was terrifying and disturbing to a whole new level.

Penkin's music definitely helped. He really outdid himself on this one.

Also, the German dub was surprisingly good for the movie. I honestly didn't expect that.

Also, if anyone saw made in abyss and thought it was interesting, but a little too gruesome at certain points, do NOT watch the movie. You've been warned.
We'll see MiA when we see it. Penkin's amazing but I feel bad for his having to work on that crater Tower of God. Composer's gotta eat I guess.

Log Horizon s3 still doesn't feel real. It's up there with Chiharafuru s3 with 'is this really happening?!'

Another great one I'd totally forgotten about is Maojou de Oyasumi. It's pretty funny and relaxing at the same time. I don't think they can really mess up in any significant way with this one.

Oh and regarding Log Horizon 3... apparently it got delayed until January. Oh well, what's 3 more months compared to the amount of time we've been waiting already.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info