Why come some streamers hate multistrike so?

"
mazul wrote:
"
The only attack i like with mulitstrike is leapslam. But that's because it's fun.

The lack of control is what kills it's effectiveness.

The auto-targetting is what makes it viable on things like melee splash builds.

Melee splash is good with almost any single target ability. If you need auto targetting as a excuse to use multistrike, you might as well pick a AoE ability.

Reave might be great with with multistrike, since it grows AoE during multiple hits. But then you have to tailor your DPS to not waste attacks.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
I use Multistrike with cleave and resolute technique.
I'm up to between 10 and 11 attacks per second at 20k DPS and a simple 2% life leech keeps reflect under control.

I pretty much dodge the first wave of attacks as I head toward the middle of a group, right click once or twice and it mows everything down.

No complaints about Multistrike from this guy.
"
"
mazul wrote:
"
The only attack i like with mulitstrike is leapslam. But that's because it's fun.

The lack of control is what kills it's effectiveness.

The auto-targetting is what makes it viable on things like melee splash builds.

Melee splash is good with almost any single target ability. If you need auto targetting as a excuse to use multistrike, you might as well pick a AoE ability.

Reave might be great with with multistrike, since it grows AoE during multiple hits. But then you have to tailor your DPS to not waste attacks.

How do you target with single player skill + melee splash when a pack of mobs is going for you?

Problems was that melee splash only triggers if you actually hit someone with your main single hit attack. If you just aim into thin air (like holding shift) and do not actually hit something with the limited range of the single attack, the melee splash AoE effect doesn't happen. This is specially annoying with desync in the picture.

This can lower your actual dps a hell lot if you are killing the mobs at a high speed. If you are manually retargetting, you need to click a hell lot.

It feels like multistrike auto-targets depending on how things look serverside rather than how things look clientside, but I may be wrong there.

As for picking AoE ability: for daggers the most efficient AoE setup was through melee splash + multistrike. That may change when Reave is released.

This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Aug 15, 2013, 2:44:52 PM
I guess multistrike gets better the more attack speed you have. If you only attack like once a second the execution time of one attack is now 3 seconds minus the increased attack speed MS provides) which can be huge.

I stopped using it on my infernal blow facebreaker because I just attack too slow and most mobs are dead after one attack anyway.
ign: PhrozenFlame
On my CI/Crit Dagger Shadow to swap out multi for melee damage (i use melee on full life by default) is basically a straight DPS swap. Survival wise multi is much better as the faster I hit the faster the less delay in ES regen.
IGN: _Maltheus (CI/Crit Dagger Shadow) - Anarchy
"
Islidox wrote:
Multistrike is also not optimal for crit builds.

Meaning that if it takes 1 out every 3 hits to crit, it will take 3 times as long to achieve the same effect using multistrike since it prolongs the attack animation. If the first hit and crits, the other 2 hits crit. If the first hit does not crit, the subsequent two hits will not crit, making the time duration between that hit and the next critical hit much longer.

It's something I've noticed where my AoE Doublestrike with Meleesplash, LOH, Faster Attacks, and blind would crit more often than my single target Doublestrike with Multistrike, Melee Physical Damage, and Blind.

I currently have a 5link and am trying to decide whether to use Multi-strike or Added fire as I am pure physical Shadow Crit dagger with flicker strike.

Flicker is pretty nice with Multi and for whatever reason it seems to use much less mana with multi strike, but whether or not it clears faster I can't tell.

What do you think?
i think multi flicker is nothing you can play tbh. it desyncs just too much.
i can be fun solo if your damage is high enough to one shot trash but its horrible in groups.

you also have not enough control over your flicker path. it happens all the time that you clear a room in notime your grp never entered. lol.

piety (can die much faster, all depends on the charges. this vids was made to proof _some_ tankyness with aegis, not for a dps showoff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAflGMfPtE

kole (can kill im in 2 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAPEvr8DW4

not playing this toon because of desync. :/ 38,5k 6L flicker/multi/splash
Last edited by NomadFX on Aug 16, 2013, 8:41:26 AM
"
Paragonx78 wrote:
"
Islidox wrote:
Multistrike is also not optimal for crit builds.

Meaning that if it takes 1 out every 3 hits to crit, it will take 3 times as long to achieve the same effect using multistrike since it prolongs the attack animation. If the first hit and crits, the other 2 hits crit. If the first hit does not crit, the subsequent two hits will not crit, making the time duration between that hit and the next critical hit much longer.

It's something I've noticed where my AoE Doublestrike with Meleesplash, LOH, Faster Attacks, and blind would crit more often than my single target Doublestrike with Multistrike, Melee Physical Damage, and Blind.

I currently have a 5link and am trying to decide whether to use Multi-strike or Added fire as I am pure physical Shadow Crit dagger with flicker strike.

Flicker is pretty nice with Multi and for whatever reason it seems to use much less mana with multi strike, but whether or not it clears faster I can't tell.

What do you think?

Go with Added Fire Damage. The DPH boost is much more worth it than multistrike. And like Heroofexile mentioned, you tend to desync a lot more with MS on Flickerstrike.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
ive been trying to think of a way to take multistrike out of my build to maximize damage _ but for a pure phys build that does not need life leech ( i use blood magic ), cant use melee damage on full life, i dont crit, and dont need pierce- i dunno what to do... its kind of become a mandatory thing for a lot of pure phys melee builds.... upsettin g but true.... a great thing but hey, no real complaints for the skill.
Why ask Why and start by denying before you have actually tried?
Never heard of this. Only thing I personally don't enjoy about multistrike is that it doesn't work so well with cyclone. At least that is for me (always desync on the 2nd and 3rd attack)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info