Death Penalty Changes in 0.11.3

"
CantripN wrote:
I can admit that I quit my FP caster like 3 times because of a chain of Reflect/Desync deaths in a row (like 3-4 times in a row). Less of a penalty makes that less likely.

That said, I don't think even that much is warranted - as noted, maps have limited Portals already, so you can't really Zerg, and bosses are at low levels where XP is easy.

Dying on Merc Ledge at level 79 because of Reflect + Crit sucks, and doesn't have a point.

You want a "Death Penalty"? Play HC. Me? I wanna enjoy grinding and fun, and leveling, not die to the broken Reflect mechanic 12 times a level at high levels. So a symbolic XP penalty is fine, but one that costs me 10+ Maps to get back, not so much - I just don't have the time/energy for that.

Exactly. Default is not meant to be a psudo hardcore. If people want harsh punishment, go to HC, that's what HC is for. Default is not meant to be a punishing league.
"
CantripN wrote:
I can admit that I quit my FP caster like 3 times because of a chain of Reflect/Desync deaths in a row (like 3-4 times in a row). Less of a penalty makes that less likely.

That said, I don't think even that much is warranted - as noted, maps have limited Portals already, so you can't really Zerg, and bosses are at low levels where XP is easy.

Dying on Merc Ledge at level 79 because of Reflect + Crit sucks, and doesn't have a point.

You want a "Death Penalty"? Play HC. Me? I wanna enjoy grinding and fun, and leveling, not die to the broken Reflect mechanic 12 times a level at high levels.

Why are you farming merc ledge at level 79, let alone dying? This game is being eaten alive because GGG is listening to feedback from players like you.
IGN: ThrobbinRobin
"
Mr_B wrote:
"
hulkgor wrote:
Now, I doubt I'll ever go into a public party because the leechers have even MORE incentive to leech and not pay attention.

Honestly?

What about creating your OWN Public Party with FFA or Short allocation enabled?
I like the fact, that 6 sox will be allocated now.
Meelee-Chars have been buffed more than enough the last patches.
Let the Ranger pick up a 6 socketed item as well from time to time.
What about monster golf? Hit it HARD - go find it - Hit it hard again :D
When I saw Death Penalty Changes I expected to see 5% (cruel) and 10% (merc). But the numbers posted (3% cruel and 8% merc) are way too low. At that point, the only way a person will feel the pain is at least 90+, and by then you really shouldn't be dying.

I'm glad about the "can and will change" caveat though. So maybe it will be put at 5% (cruel) and 10% (merc).
"In a state of physical balance and security, power, intellectual as well as physical, would be out of place."
- H. G. Wells, The Time Machine
Last edited by Sairven on Jul 25, 2013, 2:29:11 AM
Maybe there is hope for this game yet. I have no problem with the death penalty as it was. But perhaps there is hope that the mechanics within the game causing gesync will finally be seen as unnecessary and removed.

Everything else gets nerfed that people cry about. Maybe gesync could be next.
The proposed Death penalty values do sounds low but I can see the reasoning when looking to retain casual players.

Maybe we need a new league, alongside standard and HC, that keeps the old values for those who are more dedicated than the casuals but don't enjoy HC?

OB: BazzVone - 83 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI and minions
CB: BazzVfourteen - 80 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI
CB: BazzVtwo - 73 Dual Spork Totem/LS Templar
CB: BazzVseven - 76 Lightning Strike Mara
CB: BazzVfive - 78 Lightning Strike Mara
"
CantripN wrote:

As for people who play HC and Onslaught, it's none of your business how someone *else* plays his game.

Don't even try to tell them. They are so proud of being the kings of altF4 they just can't stand by and watch other people having obviously more fun then they have. ;D

On topic: I think the old penalties were just fine, but I sure can live with these changes.
"Yes, it is perfectly fair. It just sucks ass."
posted by Thaelyn on 12. August 2013 17:33
I believe these changes are good for POE. I don't really foresee a negative impact. This will hopefully help with player retention and bring in more supporters.

Anyone who wants the Hardcore experience can still play in Hardcore and Onslaught leagues.
lame
Death can be punishing, but intersting at the same time. A boring flat loss of XP is not intersting, especially when most of the deaths are due to desynchs, and we can't play offline.

I want some kind of punishement, but not a bad and lame one. Titan Quest, Diablo 2, Anarchy Online and Hellgate have penalties, but they are more "intersting".

I like the Hellgate one for exemple, when you die , you gain only 50% of the regular XP for the next 5 minutes. 5 mins might seems a bit low, but let's you extend it to 10 or 15. Instances reset after a certain time, so if you play and die a lot, you ll level 50% slower, or you can wait the end of the time but in that case you d have to redo to zone entirely.

Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info