PC Gamer unveils Descent race events

"
completely solo experience, Descent will feature its own economy of high-powered loot and monsters that exist only for the duration of the league. At the end of the event, all characters and items are destroyed.

I was never really into race events. I am waiting for a real end game. Battlegrounds, Different PvP options, something that doesn't involve me running maps endlessly.

If I were into races this deletion of all gear etc, seems like a turn off. Why would I waste all my time and have nothing to show for it?
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
So this is basically a no town, no npc, infinite dungeon/area, solo with hiked up loot rates and gear power and it's designed for solo only play without trading or using the stash, if I'm understanding it right.

Can we please have a permanent league of this? If it's what I think it is I'd play it exclusively compared to pretty much all the other leagues.
Last edited by Velpz on Jun 21, 2013, 7:32:54 PM
This sounds dam good and I will try it, but I do wish this was a permanent league like this. Perhaps this is a way of GGG testing changes they are considering?
"FullyBlownDaddy"-FullBlownDaddy™
"FillBlownDaddy"-GGG
"FullBlownMommy"-Casual_Ascent
Dont really know how to feel about this type of race. I mean that crazy amount of afford they needed to put into all the stuff they created for this descent race and in the end we cant fight against the new monster they created especialy for that race in the normal game, why they did that? Its only criticism on a low level because its new stuff ggg adds to all the race players but for myself i appreciated this kind of stuff to be in the main game and not in a seperated race. Im looking forward it and judge finally if i can play it but i cant understand why all that stuff the new environment/monster/items are "only" for a good race experience?
=Licht ist Leben=
Last edited by Hruthgard on Jun 21, 2013, 7:47:39 PM
"
h3rp3s wrote:
If I were into races this deletion of all gear etc, seems like a turn off. Why would I waste all my time and have nothing to show for it?
Well, other than the obvious entertainment value, I would assume that you still get awarded season points and the prizes associated with them.
That's just common low level journalism. The majority of the accounts are spambots or inactive accounts.
Some even never have been played because those were CB lottery accounts.

"
Makes sense given thats what happens for nearly every single F2P game that has ever been made. Popularity goes down, not up.

Popularity depend on the content.
Look at successful FPS franchise, which bring a new game every year.
The successors could even be a mod made in 3 months. It uses the same textures, tiles, design, AI, it isn't even executed properly yet kids buy those games.
Or take Day-Z for example.
Arma II never was popular and suddenly it got millions of accounts.

PoE has potential but it has to appeal many kind of players.
There are PVPers.
There are MMO players(which should be satisfied)
There are extreme gamers, who need extreme challenges.
There are casual gamers.
etc.

The question is how long does an average player need to get to act3 merciless?
The duration is more similar to MMO Timeinvestment, since it takes long time gamers/rushers as a base most players play one character(one thing I heavily dislike in PoE I am more the type of players who likes to have some low level PVP characters and at last one higher level character of each class but in PoE 6xlevel 70 and 4-5 pvp characters take a huge amount of time.

Such races are appealing to players who are new to the ARPG genre and don't really like eternal grinding.
It's not really time dependant.
You get a mode with good drops and it's only one hour.
That's similar to a longer shooter round.

I am all for new and interesting events, but did anyone really want to do 50 BLAMT races, aka a ton of "gimmick" races.

Isn't this more of the same sort of thing, especially since it is a one hour race?

At what point did racing become about short events, especially ones, at least on the surface, so clearly prone to RNG (unless some hidden mechanic will be revealed by Chris on Monday).

I think the biggest problem I have is that this has been made the "signature" event for the coming season, at least according to the article. Maybe they used that word in the normal connotation and not in the way the racing community in PoE now uses it. I guess I'll wait and see but for all the times where I've been supportive\happy\excited about what is happening in PoE, this makes me concerned about the future of racing.

Edit: I don't get it because everyone seemed to really like the 135 signature event, seems like almost universally it was liked. I would get it if there was say 25 135s and 25 of the new race, but this to me is like scheduling 15 4-hour party races before season 1, and we saw after the second 4 hour race why how that was a very disliked format.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
Last edited by Morsexier on Jun 21, 2013, 8:01:05 PM
"
Morsexier wrote:
I am all for new and interesting events, but did anyone really want to do 50 BLAMT races, aka a ton of "gimmick" races.

Isn't this more of the same sort of thing, especially since it is a one hour race?

At what point did racing become about short events, especially ones, at least on the surface, so clearly prone to RNG (unless some hidden mechanic will be revealed by Chris on Monday).

I think the biggest problem I have is that this has been made the "signature" event for the coming season, at least according to the article. Maybe they used that word in the normal connotation and not in the way the racing community in PoE now uses it. I guess I'll wait and see but for all the times where I've been supportive\happy\excited about what is happening in PoE, this makes me concerned about the future of racing.

Edit: I don't get it because everyone seemed to really like the 135 signature event, seems like almost universally it was liked. I would get it if there was say 25 135s and 25 of the new race, but this to me is like scheduling 15 4-hour party races before season 1, and we saw after the second 4 hour race why how that was a very disliked format.

They're probably appearing more now because shorter ones had more people playing them. Less commitment needed and players who aren't that good know they've got a slight chance to get amazing RNG and place well.

I'd assume players who only feel like committing an hour at a time are also not the type to jump on the forums so often as well.
There's more info about their structure (and how certain item decisions are given to you at certain points so that it's not so heavily RNG-based) coming on Monday, NZ time.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
It sounds very interesting and fun but I'm also disappointed at characters being wiped after, currency was always a nice extra reward after doing a race. All of my exalted orbs have been found while racing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info