Item Allocation Specifics

Glad to have ffa looting back, though im not about to give thanks for returning a "feature" that was a fundamental part of the game when i started playing. At least the huge annoyance that the previous timer system introduced to races is now gone.

You guys wrote somewhere (previous beta manifesto perhaps, cant recall now) that you would stick to your hardcore game philosophy and be content with a small core playerbase. Yet, first the tree got simplified due to new players gimping their characters, now instanced loot gets added, likely from excessive forum whining. What happened to that original conviction?

Anyway, i see a couple issues with the new allocation systems, even though ill never use them.

M2M: As previously mentioned numerous times in this thread, M2M needs to be absolute if you want to encourage public map runs (i assume this is the intent here). Map rollers/makers wont want to risk including randoms in their runs unless theyre guaranteed all map drops, and those randoms dont expect to gain maps in runs where theyre essentially freeloading or paying a token entry fee like 1 chisel or whatnot anyway.

Map Making: Im envisioning the public map maker and his 5x randoms in the lab, map maker creates portals, one of the randoms leaves party and takes a portal before the maker or others in the main party, forcing his own looting preference on the map since he is now the "leader" of his 1-man "party". Hope you guys foresaw this and coded the map/party/spawning interactions accordingly, or therell be rage!

Sockets: 4-links arent generally considered valuable and dont need to be allocated. 6-sockets are generally considered valuable (having a base value of 7 jewelers and all) and should be allocated along with 5-6 links.

Items allocated based on lvl/ilvl: This is likely not a wanted feature for the most part, not that its really capable of causing any major problems.
IGN: KoTao
thx for listening to the community! GJ
ign: ALLRAUDER
"
hx for listening to the community! GJ

And thats simply the reason why GGG rocks so hard. Awesome.
"
KoTao wrote:
You guys wrote somewhere (previous beta manifesto perhaps, cant recall now) that you would stick to your hardcore game philosophy and be content with a small core playerbase. Yet, first the tree got simplified due to new players gimping their characters, now instanced loot gets added, likely from excessive forum whining. What happened to that original conviction?

That statement from Chris was indeed something which set GGG apart and was something to value them on. However, it also set alarm bells ringing that the philosophy could be their own undoing.

I think that they are prepared to adjust that philosophy, in certain cases, for the better of the game even when not 'liking' it themselves, gives even more credit to them.
Casually casual.

This is exactly what was missing for me to fully enjoy playing in random parties, good job GGG!
"
Kel_Thuzad wrote:
"

+1. That's right!

Now how about currecny to maker. C2M?
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
As much as I like GGG's philosophy of creating a very hardore game, this loot change was necessary. You just cannot forcefeed your vision to the players as they will simply leave if they disagree. Loot is a key mechanic in an ARPG and will evoke strong emotions from the players (see: the >9000 threads concerning the loot system).

I also like the way it is implemented: with options - options are always good and there should be more of them (i.e. the options/graphics tab could use some).

These loot options even create design space for longer races, where some of them might get forced: One Week xyz FFA :D
Deutscher Chat: /global 4745
Last edited by griD on May 24, 2013, 4:34:00 AM
great news. looking forward to the patch.

Chris I assume we will be able to see the choice set for the party within the Social Panel group list?
I fail to see how anyone could disagree with this. You can never complain about more options...

Love the changes. <3!
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:
"
Kel_Thuzad wrote:
"

+1. That's right!

Now how about currecny to maker. C2M?

why? i dont see a need for this.
i cant imagine spending tons of currency for a public map group anyway :S
and if you play private groups, then you can do your currency to maker ruleset and everyone will follow the rules :)

or why would you think this would be good?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info