Community going for more care-bear appeal

I can only speak for my own thread, the "auto"-flasks, but I am sure the same applies to some of the other threads as well.

None of this has anything to do with care-bear.
I don't want to play an easy game, I don't want to play a "dumbed down" game, and I don't want to play a game where every "casual" can face-roll through without putting any thought or dedication into it.

However, it is upon the developers to create actual difficulty. Difficulty as in creating game-mechanics that are challenging- a concept that has apparently gone lost in the 90's (although, admittedly, this game is doing great so far). Challenging gameplay comes from a combination of challenges that the player has to react to at the same time.

For example, mobs that shoot projectiles while putting up traps should be an institution on the easiest difficulty. On the hardest difficulty, they should box you in with projectiles & traps while charging/teleporting at you and applying DoTs and so forth. Developers need to create mechanics that require substantially different responses from the player- and not on a per-combat-basis, but multiple times during each instance of combat.

Of course, this would make the game "too hard" for most players or be executed poorly so that the only difficulty lies in meeting the gear-check (à la D3), so we're stuck with a mixture of slightly annoying/challenging mechanics and gear-checks.

PoE has several nice ideas (such as on-use flask-effects) that give combat a refreshing twist and the above mentioned suggestion of mine would not touch this in the least, therefore not making the game easier/"care-bear"-friendly (how I loathe you for using that term).
Making it so that your secondary health potion is activated when you press the button for your empty, primary health-potion is just solid background-mechanics. If this makes the game "too easy" for you (despite being far from the optimal way of playing), then maybe you should consider that it wasn't very hard to begin with.

If my suggestion were implemented and people purposely made use of it, then clearly that would be a sign that freezing/burning etc need to be used more frequently by mobs. I also don't mind pointing out that just mashing the flask keys pretty much achieves the same thing, and is about as smart a way of playing as relying on "auto-flask" would be.

tl;dr: There is a difference between good, hard gameplay and insignificant, subpar mechanics (or lack thereof) that need to be rectified.
Why don't the seasons fear the reaper?
Last edited by FluffyMeowington on Jul 10, 2012, 7:58:07 AM
"
Intertwined wrote:
"
nKSharp wrote:
"
Intertwined wrote:
There is no need to take peoples opinions or suggestions personally, otherwise one will never be a happy person. GGG hasn't given us any reason not to trust them with this jewel of a game.!

This. That is why I actually donated to this game is because the devs stand by their word unlike a lot of other people who cave in to silly demands from the community which ends up just crippling the game later to appeal to a larger crowd.

I haven't played the game in a while though unfortunately as I am waiting for it to go into OB so my characters actually save.

That is exactly one of the reasons why I felt like I *HAD* to donate. The dev's have so much integrity and it really shows in the game and in the way they interact with the community.

Yep. So far they seem to have struck the delicate balance of showing that they are genuinely listening to the community and considering suggestions, while at the same time not attempting to please everybody and in the process destroying the game.
Man they better not noob out this game

go play d3 you noobs i want my game hard as fuck

HARD AS FUCK

get the hell out of here
When I heard about cutthroat league I had a vision of a place, and in that place I saw a man, and in that man I saw my sword, and in my inventory I saw his loot
"
gastank wrote:
Those 'care-bear' casuals are also some of the people more likely to spend money on cosmetic microtransactions. Free to play games are entirely dependent on reaching as wide an audience as possible.

The passive tree by itself already presents a significant bar to entry for new players, and the non-gold based economy further adds to that. In light of these, you want to eliminate as much minor inconvenience as possible so new player can focus on playing & learning the core mechanics, not fighting to overcome quirks in the game that have become status quo in the genre these days.

Challenge should come from fighting mobs, not fighting the game engine.

+1 - I agree with this!

I think there should not be experience loss for the default league.
"
Basinx wrote:
Man they better not noob out this game

go play d3 you noobs i want my game hard as fuck

HARD AS FUCK

get the hell out of here

I want game that is FUN AS FUCK, NOT FRUSTRATING AS FUCK.

You stick to Hardcore and I'll stick to Default.

If you want HARD and FRUSTRATING AS FUCK go play D3 without using the Auction House.

It's all about player choices and widening the tent.

If I was forced to only play Hardcore, I would NOT be playing this game.

Frustration is not FUN. Experience loss is not FUN. Starting all over is not FUN. Wasting limited gaming time is not FUN.

Maybe for you, not for me.
I didn't say anything about hardcore or frustrating

just HARD AS FUCK

like john rambo for the NES

when you get to the end and fight mcguyver you feel GOOD
When I heard about cutthroat league I had a vision of a place, and in that place I saw a man, and in that man I saw my sword, and in my inventory I saw his loot
no no no no no no no! here we go again with the god damned D3 shit again. stop bringing it here! alot of us left bnet to come to a game where we didnt have to deal with diablo 3 crap! i dont care what it does for the game,

keep diablo 3 out of path of exile. no auction house, no automatic pick ups, not a god damned bit of diablo 3 in this game at all period.

im fine if they barrow things like the sphere grid, loot hunts, farming, materia system, realistic animations, the ability to not be able to spam your skilsl over and over and over like a mindless zombie wlaking into a wall.

but for gods sake, keep diablo 3 out of this game!
support - grinding gear games, cdprojekt, runic games, clockstone, larian studios, south peak games, crate entertainment, invision games (on facebook), localize dragonquest anniversery (facebook).
"
Malurek wrote:
no no no no no no no! here we go again with the god damned D3 shit again. stop bringing it here! alot of us left bnet to come to a game where we didnt have to deal with diablo 3 crap! i dont care what it does for the game,

keep diablo 3 out of path of exile. no auction house, no automatic pick ups, not a god damned bit of diablo 3 in this game at all period.

im fine if they barrow things like the sphere grid, loot hunts, farming, materia system, realistic animations, the ability to not be able to spam your skilsl over and over and over like a mindless zombie wlaking into a wall.

but for gods sake, keep diablo 3 out of this game!

You left Diablo 3 because of automatic pick up? What exactly is wrong with it? It's just a QoL thing. Not a Diablo 3 thing.

I bet had any other ARPG developer came up with the idea first, you wouldn't be whining.

If this discussion becomes about TOG, I'll move it to Off-Topic quicker than you can say *anything* about the will of a templar.

My first encounter with auto-pickup of items was Sacred 2, by the way, where you could hit a key and everything in a certain radius just magically appeared in your inventory, provided there was space. While I loved it at first, it definitely left me with an inventory full of things I didn't remember dropping let alone picking up.

I'd rather not see any form of auto-pickup in PoE.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
BLACKKETYL wrote:

You left Diablo 3 because of automatic pick up? What exactly is wrong with it? It's just a QoL thing. Not a Diablo 3 thing.

I bet had any other ARPG developer came up with the idea first, you wouldn't be whining.

And what is so bad about clicking on something to pick it up?

Sheesh, I can't believe we are discussing this.
Current IGNs:
Smoothjazzz - 61 Summoner Templar (Default)
PostHardcore - 52 2H Marauder (Hardcore) (RIP)
PointBlaurader - 68 Bowrauder (Hardcore)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info