Community going for more care-bear appeal

"
Zenryhao wrote:
I mean, would you rather have to manually digest all the food you eat?

No, but I also dont want food shoved into my mouth.
"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera
"
Crackerblk wrote:
"
Zenryhao wrote:
I mean, would you rather have to manually digest all the food you eat?

No, but I also dont want food shoved into my mouth.

^
Continue the individual discussions in the appropriate threads. I'll end up locking this one if they continue here.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
gastank wrote:
Those 'care-bear' casuals are also some of the people more likely to spend money on cosmetic microtransactions. Free to play games are entirely dependent on reaching as wide an audience as possible.

The passive tree by itself already presents a significant bar to entry for new players, and the non-gold based economy further adds to that. In light of these, you want to eliminate as much minor inconvenience as possible so new player can focus on playing & learning the core mechanics, not fighting to overcome quirks in the game that have become status quo in the genre these days.

Challenge should come from fighting mobs, not fighting the game engine.

Oh please.
By the sounds of it you musta loved D3. Lots of "fighting mobs not the game engine" there. My god no thank you.
I want MORE rpg. MORE decision making MORE progression and development of my character.
Idiots and whiners that want 10 min play sessions are ruining gaming. And rpg's are a dieing breed of game.
"
"
gastank wrote:
Those 'care-bear' casuals are also some of the people more likely to spend money on cosmetic microtransactions. Free to play games are entirely dependent on reaching as wide an audience as possible.

The passive tree by itself already presents a significant bar to entry for new players, and the non-gold based economy further adds to that. In light of these, you want to eliminate as much minor inconvenience as possible so new player can focus on playing & learning the core mechanics, not fighting to overcome quirks in the game that have become status quo in the genre these days.

Challenge should come from fighting mobs, not fighting the game engine.

Oh please.
By the sounds of it you musta loved D3. Lots of "fighting mobs not the game engine" there. My god no thank you.
I want MORE rpg. MORE decision making MORE progression and development of my character.
Idiots and whiners that want 10 min play sessions are ruining gaming. And rpg's are a dieing breed of game.

Unnecessarily extreme comparison. There is a balance between 'fighting the mobs' and 'fighting the game engine' and I do believe GGG have yet to find it. In fact, I do believe they know it. You can have clarity without dumbing down -- things such as mouse-over explanations on the Skilldrasil, more easily recognisable nodes visually, even a planner or search function: these would all bring clarity without dumbing it down at all.

And none of them would hinder 'more decision, more progression and development' of your character.

I am what most would call a 'carebear' these days, and yes, I do think whatever that is might be more likely to spend on cosmetic upgrades -- a PKer, as it were, or PvPer, is typically (but not always) more concerned with function over form, whereas someone happy to play with friends against the computer might be more interested in making their game and their characters look 'better'.

That said, PoE has a funny way of turning even 'carebears' into vicious grizzlies when playing something like Cut-Throat. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
There is no need to take peoples opinions or suggestions personally, otherwise one will never be a happy person. GGG hasn't given us any reason not to trust them with this jewel of a game. Yes, they interact and take suggestions from the community on a consistent basis, but they also have their own vision for the game and that's what we are seeing come to life. I see no reason to worry about this game becoming anything other than what it already is. In fact, I feel this current version is merely a shadow of what the game will be in say a years time, and I'm sure the game will be much more challenging by then. Have no fear!
"
Intertwined wrote:
but they also have their own vision for the game and that's what we are seeing come to life.

I hope so
"
Intertwined wrote:
There is no need to take peoples opinions or suggestions personally, otherwise one will never be a happy person. GGG hasn't given us any reason not to trust them with this jewel of a game.!

This. That is why I actually donated to this game is because the devs stand by their word unlike a lot of other people who cave in to silly demands from the community which ends up just crippling the game later to appeal to a larger crowd.

I haven't played the game in a while though unfortunately as I am waiting for it to go into OB so my characters actually save.
oh look another "hardcore vs. casual thread"

i hate theses types of posts they serve no purpose and do nothing but split the community. People have a right to voice their opinions and suggestions just as much as you. But what your doing is not productive and is only meant to flame those you disagree with and start a fight.
"
nKSharp wrote:
"
Intertwined wrote:
There is no need to take peoples opinions or suggestions personally, otherwise one will never be a happy person. GGG hasn't given us any reason not to trust them with this jewel of a game.!

This. That is why I actually donated to this game is because the devs stand by their word unlike a lot of other people who cave in to silly demands from the community which ends up just crippling the game later to appeal to a larger crowd.

I haven't played the game in a while though unfortunately as I am waiting for it to go into OB so my characters actually save.

That is exactly one of the reasons why I felt like I *HAD* to donate. The dev's have so much integrity and it really shows in the game and in the way they interact with the community.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info