Assessing the Bandit quest: Post your last 4 skill points

"
Falcord wrote:
I'd pick skill point every time, for a reason few people have addressed.

If you're a Marauder, Duelist, Templar, Ranger, Shadow, or Witch that isn't going to pick up Chaos Inoculation, doesn't use ranged attacks, and isn't in Hardcore, than your reasoning is sound.

If any of the above isn't true, it's better to pick the HP bonus, for the reasons mentioned above.
TehHammer is not a crime!
"
Falcord wrote:
I'd pick skill point every time, for a reason few people have addressed.

Builds can be respec'd. It's not hard, but in a hypothetical open beta future in which we put actual time into our character until they get to very, very high levels (I'm talking 80 and above) I think farming for Regrets will start to feel like a more sensible alternative than getting another character to that point.

When this happens, it's possible that our new target build desperately needs those 4 skill points. Even worse, what we picked might turn out to be completely useful (HP for a CI build, Mana for a BM build... you get the point).

Passive points are refundable. HP, MP and res rewards are not. I'd keep this in mind if I wanted to get that character to a high level.

If the character is created with a specific level for a specific purpose, like a PvP league, then yes, I'd pick the best choice for the build. But other than that, passive points all the time.

But conversely look at it as 180-600 hp you can never have. Personally I would like to see a way that we can go back and change the reward or change who we sided with. Or at minimum when they give us skill resets they should reset that one as well.
I... I... I always pick the skill point because I feel bad betraying Eramir.

/shame
I take the skill points because it gives flexibility. I would consider taking the HP if I was going for a build that stacked a ton of life regen and % boosts. Especially if I was taking something like Golems Blood and using Vitality.

At the end of the day it is going to depend on your build and gear. There is no one answer and the answer will change depending on your level and gear and supporting passives. Getting one new item might be the difference between the HP being better than the skillpoints or vice-versa.

ARPG's are all about building a balance of survivability and killing speed. If you can survive to a reasonable margin that you are happy with then the return for stacking it higher lessens. Likewise if those 4 skillpoints aren't going to help you kill mobs much quicker thanks to your godly items then it makes more sense to sink it back into suvivability.

It's all about the balance and flexibility. For now since a lot of things are changing in the game in terms of mob mechanics and skill mechanics I'm going to stick with the skillpoints on pretty much all my characters to retain as much flexibility as possible.
ITT: People not understanding the importance of base hp.
"
RavenousRaven wrote:
ITT: People not understanding the importance of base hp.

I understand the importance of base HP. However, I gave a reason why I choose skill points. I don't see any rebuttal, therefore I think it's you who doesn't understand the important of flexibility.

Besides, if your character can do perfectly well without that increase in survivability, why should you bother?
Last edited by Falcord on Jul 9, 2012, 3:15:46 AM
Flexibility = range (of movement)

Whats the point in increasing your range in the skill tree when you are never going to get to a node as good as a 45 base hp boost.

Last edited by RavenousRaven on Jul 9, 2012, 5:01:52 AM
There's this common complaint about Diablo III not having freedom to create your character however you wish.

This thread is humorous when keeping the above complaint in the back of your mind as you read.

Either build it this way, or you're wrong.
Last edited by brgillespie on Jul 9, 2012, 6:36:32 AM
I haven't read this thread in detail but i do not recall the word "wrong" being thrown around.

There will always be more optimum ways to do things, and keeping this in the back of my mind as i read your comment makes it humorous.
"
RavenousRaven wrote:
I haven't read this thread in detail but i do not recall the word "wrong" being thrown around.

There will always be more optimum ways to do things, and keeping this in the back of my mind as i read your comment makes it humorous.
Cool story.

"
implied past participle, past tense of im·ply
Verb:

Strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated): "the report implies that two million jobs might be lost".
Last edited by brgillespie on Jul 9, 2012, 3:26:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info