Tried PoE after D4's first beta weekend

I had fun during D4's first beta weekend... so much that I filled the time until this weekend with PoE. I feel like playing PoE has made me enjoy D4 less.

I'm not into spreadsheets in PoE or theorycrafting at all, just picked a guide and tried the skill gems for it. Also tried any skill gem I came across to see what I liked. I don't know what it is, but PoE feels meatier. Playing D4 this weekend feels like I'm wasting my time.

I didn't make this post to intentionally talk bad about D4 but I'm surprised at this revelation that D4 isn't as good as I thought it was. Maybe it was the newness?
Last bumped on Mar 31, 2023, 9:54:13 AM
You are comparing a limited beta test with a 10-years worth of content game, but yes, I also felt like I was wasting my time, but that's probably because we know the progress will be wiped.
"
FedeS wrote:
You are comparing a limited beta test with a 10-years worth of content game...

It's a point.
But then, I played the limited Demo of DIII back in the day. I hadn't been hyped for DIII, but I thought I'd try the demo.
And it was better than I had thought. It was darker, for one thing, than the screenshots I'd seen hitherto. I quite liked it. I bought it.
But unfortunately, the following acts were less good, I didn't quite like the story, and in the end, it turned out that Act I was the best (for my taste) and the rest not really worth it.

So, it might be correct to assume that if you don't like the beta, much, you won't like the finished product.

Was exactly the same for me back with D3. Once I had tried PoE, Diablo suddenly felt very bland. Nicer graphics and better performance for sure, but meh.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
There are resources to see what the end game will be like for D4. It isnt going to get much more complex than it is now. We have access to 90% of the skill tree now and we know it is just dungeons, world events and world bosses for end game.

The paragon board has a calculator now that you can see borrowed some things from POE but in the end it is only there to get more bag space and a place to slot an aspect into and maximize it.
I wasn't going to post in yet another D4 thread, but there is some ridiculous misinformation going around, and in general it's not even on scale when comparing a brand new game, that isnt even out yet (with live service coming), to one that's been established for over a decade. Why isn't PoE, if it's such the superior game, doing better in terms of the market? They have had little to no competition for years, and yet they are still fairly niche. This is definitely a case of projection from some of the more hardcore arpg enthusiasts. Which is fine, if they could just realize what they are doing, to at least have some sort of reasonable understanding that not everything needs to be PoE; Whatever that means to you.

For D4, there are 75 levels to go, paragon boards, and paragon board linking, legendary aspects that are not in the beta, and more. We don't even know final affix tiers, and what they will be at endgame. Uniques are build altering, with set items and runewords not even in the game yet. (Plus the leaks on the paragon boards are not accurate as well, and the notables, keystones, and unlock group bonuses are totally unknown, nor how many boards you can link together or if the boards have tiers in terms of rarity and scope. In theory, mathematically, it could be more complex than PoE for this specific game item).

WE DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE CURRENT DEV BUILD VERSION IS. This by all accounts is the same media / test beta that was provided months ago.

For the endgame content, in addition to 120+ dungeons', there will be Helltides, which are basically D2 terror zones if people are familiar with that, which will make every region in the world relevant on endgame scale. (and region specific loot as well). There are multiple world bosses with individual loot pools, also a PVP flag region, and rotating world events. There will also be seasonal content, which the devs say will be significant in their scope, just like PoE League mechanic.

In general trying to come to anything close to a final conclusion would be like asking someone to review PoE after 8 hours and only letting them get to Merveil. Not to mention when PoE came out of it's closed beta in Jan of 2013, it wasn't even remotely close to D4's size, scope, and polish. Actually PoE was quite messy. If that was someone's expectation, then it's both incredibly dumb, as well as unreasonable.

That said if you like PoE just continue to play PoE. D4 was never trying to be PoE or appeal to the mutliple-hour PoB user and theory crafter, who enjoys reading 15k word manifestos and riding the 3 month meta-train every league. The sheer amount of investment PoE requires of it's players, let alone technical game mechanic mastery, is far beyond what most average gamers are looking for, and most of the metrics reflect that.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I wasn't going to post in yet another D4 thread, but there is some ridiculous misinformation going around, and in general it's not even on scale when comparing a brand new game, that isnt even out yet (with live service coming), to one that's been established for over a decade. Why isn't PoE, if it's such the superior game, doing better in terms of the market? They have had little to no competition for years, and yet they are still fairly niche. This is definitely a case of projection from some of the more hardcore arpg enthusiasts. Which is fine, if they could just realize what they are doing, to at least have some sort of reasonable understanding that not everything needs to be PoE; Whatever that means to you.

For D4, there are 75 levels to go, paragon boards, and paragon board linking, legendary aspects that are not in the beta, and more. We don't even know final affix tiers, and what they will be at endgame. Uniques are build altering, with set items and runewords not even in the game yet. (Plus the leaks on the paragon boards are not accurate as well, and the notables, keystones, and unlock group bonuses are totally unknown, nor how many boards you can link together or if the boards have tiers in terms of rarity and scope. In theory, mathematically, it could be more complex than PoE for this specific game item).

WE DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE CURRENT DEV BUILD VERSION IS. This by all accounts is the same media / test beta that was provided months ago.

For the endgame content, in addition to 120+ dungeons', there will be Helltides, which are basically D2 terror zones if people are familiar with that, which will make every region in the world relevant on endgame scale. (and region specific loot as well). There are multiple world bosses with individual loot pools, also a PVP flag region, and rotating world events. There will also be seasonal content, which the devs say will be significant in their scope, just like PoE League mechanic.

In general trying to come to anything close to a final conclusion would be like asking someone to review PoE after 8 hours and only letting them get to Merveil. Not to mention when PoE came out of it's closed beta in Jan of 2013, it wasn't even remotely close to D4's size, scope, and polish. Actually PoE was quite messy. If that was someone's expectation, then it's both incredibly dumb, as well as unreasonable.

That said if you like PoE just continue to play PoE. D4 was never trying to be PoE or appeal to the mutliple-hour PoB user and theory crafter, who enjoys reading 15k word manifestos and riding the 3 month meta-train every league. The sheer amount of investment PoE requires of it's players, let alone technical game mechanic mastery, is far beyond what most average gamers are looking for, and most of the metrics reflect that.

i love your copium on diablo :D its like every time som1 mentions diablo you pop up with your insane amount of copium and defend blizz and they games like they a best in a world . Maybe you work for blizz or something :D
"
anti4z500 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

i love your copium on diablo :D its like every time som1 mentions diablo you pop up with your insane amount of copium and defend blizz and they games like they a best in a world . Maybe you work for blizz or something :D

What part was copium lol? It's all accurate.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Spoiler
hoho
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Last edited by xPiranha on Mar 26, 2023, 10:29:32 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Why isn't PoE, if it's such the superior game, doing better in terms of the market?

You have been explained this a million times, yet you keep ignoring it. I'll try once more: PoE will always stay pretty niche, because it's not as "easy digestible" as other games. It requires more time investment, and isn't really speaking to the "instant gratification crowd" because of depth, complexity and grindy nature. And for people appreciating those factors, PoE is a VERY good game.

We've been through this before, so I really don't know why I bother, but you seem to have this attitude that "a game that caters to more people is a better game than a game that caters to a smaller, specific crowd", which is of course false. Do I think PoE is better? Yes. Why? Because it does the things I value better than the competition. Does other games do a lot of things better than PoE? Of course. But judging a game always comes down to gameplay, and gameplay will always be subjective - no matter how popular a game is.

------------

On topic: I was actually pleasantly surprised by the D4 beta. It does a lot of things right, including mood and art style, something its predecessor failed at. It also seems to have a little bit more depth that D3, but it's hard to get the full picture without paragon boards.

That said, I'm not sure if I will buy it. The MMO-type scaling of the world and your character, as well as the shared, open world where you're fighting a monsters at level 25 and a level 3 character comes a long and two-shots that monster, is very hard to swallow. The forced use of VERY underwhelming basic skills (on some characters) is also very flow-limiting.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
not everything needs to be PoE

Just this. Although, you need to concise your statements because otherwise fanboys will keep throwing words like "copium" and "subjective".

But yes, comparing a 10 year old game with constant expansions to any other new game and expecting the new game to have as much content is just braindead levels of logic.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info