I dont know why the whole Diablo vs POE thing exists.

D4 is definitely going to affect PoE for awhile.

D3 affected PoE for awhile. PoE really didnt start growing until D3 got stale. Even if you think it was a bad game, millions didnt, and the steamcharts give a pretty solid picture of how long D3 remained relevant before the tortoise, PoE, started catching up and overtaking the hare, D3.

PoE's numbers really didnt start popping off until about 2017.Reaper of Souls released in 2014. It remained incredibly relevant in the genre for about 2-3 years, and after 2017, PoE's population started exploding, because RoS was a 1 and done, thats it no more content, expansion. And PoE's constant expansions and updates was the only place a person could go to get fresh content, and they started getting 50-60-70k players, up into the 100k on league starts, compared to 10-20k they had during RoS and vanilla D3's heyday.

So yes, I 100% think D4 is going to affect PoE's numbers quite substantially for awhile, becuase even barebones D3 and RoS held it back, and PoE, IMO, is in the bad position of being OLD now. It was new then, and its old now. D4 is the new kid on the block. Maps arent interesting anymore, there is tons of bloat, the campaign is stale, etc.

And D4 is going to be a live-service game just like PoE this time around, another key aspect that could really do damage going forward. PoE benefited greatly with Diablo having just an expansion and no new content. THat wont be D4. its going to have a lot of content added, expansions, the works.

It will be interesting to see how much damage it does to PoE going forward, but if you think PoE is just gonna be the king of Arpgs no matter what, thats going to be in VERY small, niche circles. PoE is old, D4 isnt. PoE already struggled with D3 during D3's prime, and it was the superior game then. D3's popularity was strong well up into the 2017-2018's, even with its last bit of content released in 2014.
Last edited by Destructodave on Mar 27, 2023, 7:54:28 PM
"
Destructodave wrote:
D4 is definitely going to affect PoE for awhile.

D3 affected PoE for awhile. PoE really didnt start growing until D3 got stale. Even if you think it was a bad game, millions didnt, and the steamcharts give a pretty solid picture of how long D3 remained relevant before the tortoise, PoE, started catching up and overtaking the hare, D3.

PoE's numbers really didnt start popping off until about 2017.Reaper of Souls released in 2014. It remained incredibly relevant in the genre for about 2-3 years, and after 2017, PoE's population started exploding, because RoS was a 1 and done, thats it no more content, expansion. And PoE's constant expansions and updates was the only place a person could go to get fresh content, and they started getting 50-60-70k players, up into the 100k on league starts, compared to 10-20k they had during RoS and vanilla D3's heyday.

So yes, I 100% think D4 is going to affect PoE's numbers quite substantially for awhile, becuase even barebones D3 and RoS held it back, and PoE, IMO, is in the bad position of being OLD now. It was new then, and its old now. D4 is the new kid on the block. Maps arent interesting anymore, there is tons of bloat, the campaign is stale, etc.

And D4 is going to be a live-service game just like PoE this time around, another key aspect that could really do damage going forward. PoE benefited greatly with Diablo having just an expansion and no new content. THat wont be D4. its going to have a lot of content added, expansions, the works.

It will be interesting to see how much damage it does to PoE going forward, but if you think PoE is just gonna be the king of Arpgs no matter what, thats going to be in VERY small, niche circles. PoE is old, D4 isnt. PoE already struggled with D3 during D3's prime, and it was the superior game then. D3's popularity was strong well up into the 2017-2018's, even with its last bit of content released in 2014.

I think POE will still be king of ARPGs in the niche arena. While D4 will be king in the casual arena. I have quite a few friends. 3 who wouldnt touch POE and would rather play D4 and 2(myself included) who would play D4 for a bit and then go back to POE.

POE is still niche but it is a big niche.
w OMEGALUL cen xD
"
Thesuffering wrote:

It is important to have perspective. It's still apples and oranges. Is PoE the tallest kid in the kindergarten class? Sure. If D4 had PoE's record concurrency numbers people would call it a dead game. It's beyond fractional to the point of irrelevance in this context.

So sure they will co-exist in the genre, but it's not a rational comparison 1v1. We are talking PoE's highest player count in their entire history, at a peak launch time, representing less than 10% of a pre-release D4 beta.

When D4 launches it will be a player tsunami, regardless if every single PoE player hates the game and says they won't play. It won't matter in the slightest. (and there will probably be significant crossover anyway)

I think it's also worth noting that the PoE model is popular monetization in bursts each league. After a number of weeks from each launch the totals are much lower. It's not like PoE isn't successful, it is, but again the scale is vastly, vastly, different. If Blizzard wanted, they could swamp every single PoE league cycle with their seasons. I don't think they will do this, because it's unnecessary, but they could, considering they get all their money upfront. PoE has no ability to impact D4 performance in any measurable way metric wise.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 27, 2023, 9:41:57 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Thesuffering wrote:

It is important to have perspective. It's still apples and oranges. Is PoE the tallest kid in the kindergarten class? Sure. If D4 had PoE's record concurrency numbers people would call it a dead game. It's beyond fractional to the point of irrelevance in this context.

So sure they will co-exist in the genre, but it's not a rational comparison 1v1. We are talking PoE's highest player count in their entire history, at a peak launch time, representing less than 10% of a pre-release D4 beta.

When D4 launches it will be a player tsunami, regardless if every single PoE player hates the game and says they won't play. It won't matter in the slightest. (and there will probably be significant crossover anyway)

I think it's also worth noting that the PoE model is popular monetization in bursts each league. After a number of weeks from each launch the totals are much lower. It's not like PoE isn't successful, it is, but again the scale is vastly, vastly, different. If Blizzard wanted, they could swamp every single PoE league cycle with their seasons. I don't think they will do this, because it's unnecessary, but they could, considering they get all their money upfront. PoE has no ability to impact D4 performance in any measurable way metric wise.

POE isnt trying to be the game that sells to everybody. It is trying to be the game the creators want to play. So success is completely different for POE because it is a game first and a business second. Where as D4 is a business first and game second.

And this isnt the peak of POE, POE peaked at the end of 2019 with 2 million players. It has 27.5 million unique accounts but only 2 million play, implying that 25.5 million didnt like the game.
"
Thesuffering wrote:

POE isnt trying to be the game that sells to everybody. It is trying to be the game the creators want to play. So success is completely different for POE because it is a game first and a business second. Where as D4 is a business first and game second.

And this isnt the peak of POE, POE peaked at the end of 2019 with 2 million players. It has 27.5 million unique accounts but only 2 million play, implying that 25.5 million didnt like the game.

Game creators want to play?
That ship has sailed a long time ago.

The creators wants to play a game with no moveskills.
No drops at all to ensure you struggle at every point.
maps?
Its just a pain due to nothing drops.

That is the game they the creators want to play.

The players?

NOT SO MUCH

Seems poe players dont get that
"
skjutengris wrote:
"
Thesuffering wrote:

Game creators want to play?
That ship has sailed a long time ago.

The creators wants to play a game with no moveskills.
No drops at all to ensure you struggle at every point.
maps?
Its just a pain due to nothing drops.

That is the game they the creators want to play.

The players?

NOT SO MUCH

Seems poe players dont get that

What do you think ruthless mode is?
"
Thesuffering wrote:

You want to know what Ruthless is?

It's a vanity project started by CW and the other founders as a hobby.
Why? Because they could after they sold out to Tencent for many millions.

It's a game mode that appeals to very few, but since they are rich now they don't care. It's how they would like to see PoE, but they know this version won't make any money. This is their "artistic" outlet, so to speak. To me its very clear CW doesn't like his own game very much, and what it's become. Ruthless is more in line with his "Vision" for the game and the "Weight" items should have.

It will be interesting to see what parts of Ruthless bleed into core PoE1 and PoE2. They say that won't happen unless they determine "it's good for the game" which is about as vague and ambiguous as you can get. I for one don't believe it. I think people will be surprised at the pacing of the PoE2 campaign for example, as CW and team attempt to slow the game without causing a player revolt. They are going to need a lot more distractions to accomplish that though. Maybe they will be successful at it, idk. Time will tell it seems.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Thesuffering wrote:

You want to know what Ruthless is?

It's a vanity project started by CW and the other founders as a hobby.
Why? Because they could after they sold out to Tencent for many millions.

It's a game mode that appeals to very few, but since they are rich now they don't care. It's how they would like to see PoE, but they know this version won't make any money. This is their "artistic" outlet, so to speak. To me its very clear CW doesn't like his own game very much, and what it's become. Ruthless is more in line with his "Vision" for the game and the "Weight" items should have.

It will be interesting to see what parts of Ruthless bleed into core PoE1 and PoE2. They say that won't happen unless they determine "it's good for the game" which is about as vague and ambiguous as you can get. I for one don't believe it. I think people will be surprised at the pacing of the PoE2 campaign for example, as CW and team attempt to slow the game without causing a player revolt. They are going to need a lot more distractions to accomplish that though. Maybe they will be successful at it, idk. Time will tell it seems.

ppl keep talking about this overlord of TENCENT that rules GGG and poe and all money GGG gets its transferred to them. any proof of that ? do GGG devs drive Ferrari and each got a yacht after overlord got involved :D

i mean Blizzards shareholders and ceos a all humble dawn to earth ppl :D that dont have any crimes on they belts like you know molesting/discriminations and other shady shit
"
anti4z500 wrote:

ppl keep talking about this overlord of TENCENT that rules GGG and poe and all money GGG gets its transferred to them. any proof of that ? do GGG devs drive Ferrari and each got a yacht after overlord got involved :D

i mean Blizzards shareholders and ceos a all humble dawn to earth ppl :D that dont have any crimes on they belts like you know molesting/discriminations and other shady shit

TENCENT has been involved about 1/2 of GGG's existence.

2013-2018: GGG as a small and successful indie game company
2018-2023: TENCENT becomes majority shareholder (90+%) with co-founders holding a minority stake

Fast forward 5 years and the core of GGG's team remains in tact. The leagues being launched are more polished and in my view get better (and more complex) over time. To me this reads that TENCENT is largely supportive of the way GGG's direction has taken place since the acquisition. In Chris's own words when they were considering the transaction

"
Will Tencent try to change Path of Exile?

No. We spoke to CEOs of other companies that Tencent has invested in, and have been assured that Tencent has never tried to interfere with game design or operations outside of China. We retain full control of Path of Exile and will only make changes that we feel are best for the game.

This has been a successful partnership. TENCENT is the world's largest publisher of games and also China's largest company by market value. GGG is able to focus on the core aspects of their game without having to much of other non-gaming considerations with TENCENT's backing. The core remains and that is telling of a partnership that works.

Compared to the nightmare that is Activision-Blizzard merger and you get the drift. I think the acquisition by Microsoft would make things even worse and more political down there.
Last edited by DAKKONx on Mar 28, 2023, 11:21:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info