I dont know why the whole Diablo vs POE thing exists.

The kind of player that Diablo draws and the kind of player POE draws are very different. Sure I will complete Diablo iv once and call it a day but that doesnt mean POE wont remain my main game over the years past and future.

Same can be said for Diablo players but vice versa.

They both cater to very different markets. POE for that deep mechanics and diablo for the simple mechanics. I have friends who prefer the different styles.

This who x will steal x games players is so stupid especially in regard to POE and Diablo.

Diablo competes with Fate and Torchlight.

POE competes with Last Epoch and maybe Grim Dawn.

Wolcen is a game no one should play. XD

Also you can tell a hardcore POE fan on this forum by the number of supporter packs the person has bought, if it is at least 2 or 3, you just know they are going to come back from Diablo iv to play the next season of POE. Haha.
Last bumped on Mar 29, 2023, 4:20:25 AM
"
Thesuffering wrote:
The kind of player that Diablo draws and the kind of player POE draws are very different. Sure I will complete Diablo iv once and call it a day but that doesnt mean POE wont remain my main game over the years past and future.

Same can be said for Diablo players but vice versa.

They both cater to very different markets. POE for that deep mechanics and diablo for the simple mechanics. I have friends who prefer the different styles.

This who x will steal x games players is so stupid especially in regard to POE and Diablo.

Diablo competes with Fate and Torchlight.

POE competes with Last Epoch and maybe Grim Dawn.

Wolcen is a game no one should play. XD

Also you can tell a hardcore POE fan on this forum by the number of supporter packs the person has bought, if it is at least 2 or 3, you just know they are going to come back from Diablo iv to play the next season of POE. Haha.

if you dont think diablo will affect poe you are nuts
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"
RitualMurder wrote:

It will affect POE for a grand total of 2 weeks. Same way POE 2 will affect Diablo 4 for a whole 2 weeks.

People like the grind differently and these games offer the grind differently.
"
Thesuffering wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:

It will affect POE for a grand total of 2 weeks. Same way POE 2 will affect Diablo 4 for a whole 2 weeks.

wrong but ok
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"
RitualMurder wrote:
"
Thesuffering wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:

wrong but ok

You going to stop playing POE for Diablo 4 permanently?
It's hard not to compare them for me because I've been a lifelong D2 fan, was disappointed by D3, dabbled only a bit with PoE because it was heavily influenced by D2, and was hoping D4 would go back to its D2 roots while fixing some of the bad things like resource/potion management.

Tried PoE here n there but didn't get into it past doing the first 3 acts. Played D2R and I don't enjoy potion management after experiencing PoE flasks and D3's 1 button heal. D3 is just so shallow. I stop playing PoE just a few weeks after starting a league, dunno why. D2R is still the most fun and looks great, but it has dated resource/mana management. PoE is more what D3 should have been. The current Diablo franchise is still a bastard of D2, even with D4.
I think yoo are wrong, I am an example to "prove" that.

I have played PoE, Diablo 1-3, Torchlight (TL) 1-2 and Grimdawn (GD) a lot,
means 1000s of hours.

And the reasons why I stopped or sometimes started playing again one of these ARPG have been very different.
And during some weeks I had played only 1-2 ARPG at the "same" time.

All these games are good to excellent games.

TL:
+ Very colourful, different classes, game plus modi, "real" fishing
- skill tree, long play (10% chance to buy legendary from vendor!)
- no world map, areas are linked -> orientation difficult after a longer break

D3:
+ very smooth gameplay, campaign (videos!), alternative leveling
+ random areas and (some) events, many uniques, crafting, gems
+ no (?) cheating because online
+/- colourful; extreme speed leveling possible
+/- no AH, no trade (?) but better loot
- very bad D3 start with Act3 balance, this and AH were fixed later
- builds are deteminated by (a few) sets, weapons too important
-> end game is finding better versions of the same set items and weapons
- limited stash
- limited and fix options which skills to use while leveling

GD:
+ builds (skill trees + item mods) are complex as in PoE
+ very large manually designed world
+ many factions with items, crafts, quests and enemies
+ long campaign (you don't need end game :-)
+ game plus modi (= kind of end game)
+/- slower gameplay
- no (or only some) random areas
- names of (too many?) damage/DoT/resi types
- risc of loosing save games by switching steam cloud <-> local saves

PoE:
+ every 3 month a new expansion with new mechanics and items
+ many builds, every class can use every skill and item
+ complex game that changes a little every 3 months
+ no cheating because online
+/- free to play, but for QoL and bigger stash it is the most expensive ARPG
+/- fast to very fast gameplay
+/- no AH, a trade system exists but is designed uncomfortably
- too much clutter: grafic effects AND loot
- only 3 life stati: full life, near death and dead (not alwyays true)
- bad balancing between skills and weak and meta builds
- complex game which becomes even more complex after every 1-2 expansion
- you need extern tools for trading, builds, game infos, ...

I finished TL2 because it was too easy to get the best items from vendor.

I played D3 1-2 seasons a year but I stopped D3 every time after a few weeks after I found the "first level of a build" means the endgame set and some needed uniques. And it looks like I am finished with D3 totaly.

I lost save games with many levels and builds in GD and did not return after that. Though I would use some cheating to get these back ...
Last edited by Jerexil on Mar 26, 2023, 2:14:36 AM
"
Jerexil wrote:
I think yoo are wrong, I am an example to "prove" that.

I have played PoE, Diablo 1-3, Torchlight (TL) 1-2 and Grimdawn (GD) a lot,
means 1000s of hours.

PoE:
+ every 3 month a new expansion with new mechanics and items
+ many builds, every class can use every skill and item
+ complex game that changes a little every 3 months
+ no cheating because online
+/- free to play, but for QoL and bigger stash it is the most expensive ARPG
+/- fast to very fast gameplay
+/- no AH, a trade system exists but is designed uncomfortably
- too much clutter: grafic effects AND loot
- only 3 life stati: full life, near death and dead (not alwyays true)
- bad balancing between skills and weak and meta builds
- complex game which becomes even more complex after every 1-2 expansion
- you need extern tools for trading, builds, game infos, ...

I cant speak for the other games, but if that is what you think of poe you probably played less than 5k hours of it.

POE is intentionally unbalanced especially toward minion builds. Once you played a 1000 hours of POE you understand the skill tree for the most part and what nodes are the most powerful. In most cases about 5 million dps is enough to beat most content except for maybe Ubers though is doable.

As for external tool for trading, game info, etc true. But with builds you know what to do by just watching a video of it for the most part. It isnt that complex.

Most of the damage comes from items rather than the skill tree though.
"
Thesuffering wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:

What is likely to happen is that player retention numbers in PoE will be lower. Part of the casuals will transfer to D4 that's just inevitable I think, disregarding how good D4 will be.

What will also most likely happen is that whining and negativity will increase by those who do that every league for whatever reason there may be, with threads on Reddit generally praising dumbed down things and grieving how they are going to leave the league/PoE and what not.
If I was a Reddit/forum moderator in upcoming period I would have very strict policy on that.
"
"
Thesuffering wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:

What is likely to happen is that player retention numbers in PoE will be lower. Part of the casuals will transfer to D4 that's just inevitable I think, disregarding how good D4 will be.

What will also most likely happen is that whining and negativity will increase by those who do that every league for whatever reason there may be, with threads on Reddit generally praising dumbed down things and grieving how they are going to leave the league/PoE and what not.
If I was a Reddit/forum moderator in upcoming period I would have very strict policy on that.

I dont think casuals play POE or if they do for long. POE has a total of 27.5 million unique accounts. But only 10% actually play each league if that(peaks at slightly less than 2 million users a day). I dont think POE is a casual friendly game.
Last edited by Thesuffering on Mar 26, 2023, 3:49:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info